Audio for dummies...

Emanuel

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Clicked on the link and immediately had to work out how to close about 4 pop-ups.

Why any manufacturer would think that annoying me before I'd even read their PR BS about their product is beyond me.  If any manufacturer reads this, let me share this one thought - I find the easiest way to close pop-ups is to simply close the tab.

Seriously - FFS.

1 hour ago, kye said:

Clicked on the link and immediately had to work out how to close about 4 pop-ups.

I didn't notice that? But then I do run Adblock full time. 

2 hours ago, Emanuel said:

For sure : ) Any suggestions for other similar products also on (such low) budget?

As always, my recommendation for low budget sub $1K prosumer wireless, is Sony UWP-D21 (better than Sennheiser G4). 

And if a person wants to spend a little more, upgrade stock lav mic to a Deity or OST. (plus accessories)

2 hours ago, IronFilm said:

I didn't notice that? But then I do run Adblock full time. 

It must block pop-ups...  I was instantly greeted by a kind invitation to join their mailing list (a manufacturer I'd never heard of..  not sure how that makes sense) and other pop-ups from the manufacturer themselves.

Maybe it'd be interesting to turn off your ad blocker for a few minutes and find out how terrible most of the web has become.  I rarely use commercial websites anymore, partly because they have ads for themselves or others on the top, the bottom, both sides, pop-ups for videos from their YT channel, and just when there was any danger of you consuming any actual content, they pop-up something on top to "Never miss an update from us ever again!!!".

I instantly close about 80% of the commercial websites that I open in a tab.  Luckily there's not that many of them, as I tend to not require information that is of interest to whatever type of human isn't instantly repelled by a website yelling over itself to try and get you to skip down their sales pipeline.

• 1 year later...
On 10/15/2021 at 4:36 PM, IronFilm said:

As always, my recommendation for low budget sub $1K prosumer wireless, is Sony UWP-D21 (better than Sennheiser G4). 

I'm looking at the Sony UWP-27 Kit with the two transmitters and dual channel receiver. My understanding is that the single channel receiver version (D21 Kit) is true diversity (double tuner diversity) but when using the dual channel receiver (D27 Kit) in dual channel mode, it is only single channel diversity. One tuner per channel? 

So, am I better off getting two D21 Kits for reliability?

The D27 Kit does appeal to me more especially considering I can get two channels into the FX30 via the MI shoe which makes for a very compact setup but ultimately, wireless reliability is what I'm chasing. 

9 hours ago, A_Urquhart said:

I'm looking at the Sony UWP-27 Kit with the two transmitters and dual channel receiver. My understanding is that the single channel receiver version (D21 Kit) is true diversity (double tuner diversity) but when using the dual channel receiver (D27 Kit) in dual channel mode, it is only single channel diversity. One tuner per channel? 

You are absolutely correct. (impressive, most prospective buyers don't realize this)

You get true diversity with the Sony URX-P40 but only antenna diversity if you're using the Sony URX-P41D in dual channel mode. (the mode which is the entire reason for getting the Sony URX-P41D in the first place! No point otherwise)

So, am I better off getting two D21 Kits for reliability?

Bingo! You read my mind, the second I saw "UWP-D27" I was already thinking to say "get 2x UWP-D21", before I even read the rest of it. (another benefit also is the battery life will be longer with 2x receivers vs one dual receiver, so less battery changes)

The D27 Kit does appeal to me more especially considering I can get two channels into the FX30 via the MI shoe which makes for a very compact setup

In your specific use case, then using the UWP-D27 makes sense to get. 

but ultimately, wireless reliability is what I'm chasing. 

Then get a Sony DWR-S03D or Shure ADX5D instead! 

https://daleproaudio.com/collections/shop?q=sony dwx&fbclid=IwAR0ujss4SJFXIMnokrojxTEPvIklidbkiWwT0QfAPv8cxOIXmqhZCfBlstA#/filter:ss_price:1000:1500/filter:ss_price:1500:2000/filter:ss_price:2000

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1683015-REG/shure_adx5dus_a_dual_channel_portable_receiver_470_636mhz.html 

But likely this is overkill for you? 

Keep in mind that the Sennheiser G4 wireless do not have true diversity, they barely even have antenna diversity!! (Sennheisers also use analogue companders as well, unlike the Sonys which digitally encode the signal)

Heck, even my Lectrosonics SRb receivers don't have true diversity, but because the rest of them is built to such high specs I still get "good enough" performance from them. (not as good as a Lectrosonics UCR411 though....)

4 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Then get a Sony DWR-S03D or Shure ADX5D instead! 

https://daleproaudio.com/collections/shop?q=sony dwx&fbclid=IwAR0ujss4SJFXIMnokrojxTEPvIklidbkiWwT0QfAPv8cxOIXmqhZCfBlstA#/filter:ss_price:1000:1500/filter:ss_price:1500:2000/filter:ss_price:2000

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1683015-REG/shure_adx5dus_a_dual_channel_portable_receiver_470_636mhz.html 

But likely this is overkill for you? 

Keep in mind that the Sennheiser G4 wireless do not have true diversity, they barely even have antenna diversity!! (Sennheisers also use analogue companders as well, unlike the Sonys which digitally encode the signal)

Heck, even my Lectrosonics SRb receivers don't have true diversity, but because the rest of them is built to such high specs I still get "good enough" performance from them. (not as good as a Lectrosonics UCR411 though....)

Yep, overkill. 

Luckily, 95% of the jobs I do have the budget for a sound person. 

I've never liked the Sennheiser G3 and G4's that I've used even though many rave about them. Found their wireless signal not very robust.

Yeah, might go for the two UWP-D21's and scrap the Mi interface. I got the XLR handle so can mount them both up to that.....somehow!

4 hours ago, IronFilm said:

You are absolutely correct. (impressive, most prospective buyers don't realize this)

Ha, yeah I've dabbled in audio quite a bit to know just a bit!

• 5 months later...

I was just about to pull the trigger on the Sony UWP-D27's when I noticed this!

https://deitymic.com/products/theos-digital-wireless/

Wideband UHF which isn't limited to any frequency range, it can be changed for the region you are in via your phones gps coordinates and a firmware update! Transmitter can sync to TC-1 wirelessly so your internal 32bit files are TC synced. 

Most importantly, UHF AND 32bit internal float recording AND not Zaxcom. 

I hate being an early adopter but if Deity deliver on reliability of signal, this could be killer.

5 hours ago, A_Urquhart said:

Wideband UHF which isn't limited to any frequency range, it can be changed for the region you are in via your phones gps coordinates and a firmware update!

For people who need to travel a lot this will be a very powerful feature!

As soon as you land in a new country, you can open up the Deity app and get access to that country's new set of legal frequencies to use. (which might not have been legal back home)

No need to buy/rent new hardware for each country you visit!

Also useful for pros like myself, who need transmitters (to go out to camera or DIT) in their bag next to their receivers (for the talent/booms), so now you can with the Deity use the weird odd little gaps in the frequency spectrum that are located far far away from your frequencies for your talent. Helps a lot for frequency coordination! I'm looking forward to using 819 to 824MHz with the Deity UHF wireless. 

• 2 weeks later...