Resolution vs Sharpness?

kye

Resolution vs Sharpness?  

23 members have voted

1. 1. What fits your preferences the most?

• I prefer lower-resolution (eg, 2K / 1080p) cameras paired with a softer final look (eg, diffusion, low sharpening in post, vintage glass, etc)
    • I prefer high-resolution (4K+) cameras paired with a softer downsampled final look (eg, diffusion, low sharpening in post, vintage glass, etc)
    • I prefer super high-resolution (6K+) cameras paired with a high-resolution final look (eg, moderate sharpening in post, modern clean glass)
    • I prefer a look that is as high-resolution and sharp and modern as possible
    • Why are you even asking this question???? Higher resolution!! Sharper lenses!!! Crispy footage!!!!!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

"I prefer high-resolution (4K+) cameras paired with a softer downsampled final look (eg, diffusion, low sharpening in post, vintage glass, etc)"

I like 4k resolution but at the same time I´m still amazed by the 2.5k from my BMCC.

In general, I like a "softer" but detailed image. Oversharpened clips, with sometimes overly accentuated edges can be very distracting, especially when watching regular movies or series. 

It really depends. For my event work the client definitely prefers the "I prefer a look that is as high-resolution and sharp and modern as possible" option so that's what I give them. 

As far as what *I* prefer, again it depends. Resolution isn't that important to me. I still love the image out of the original BMPCC. The image is better than my GH5, even though it can't compete in resolution. It just was a pain in the ass to rig up (I refuse to buy another BMD camera until they use better batteries), and I didn't get nearly as much commercial work as I'd hoped so I went the GH5/Panasonic route that could handle everything "good enough." 

Sometimes though I do want "crispy" (I hate that term when it comes to video) footage. Sports, for example, benefit from that look. Other times I want a softer but detailed image. I like the results I can get with my GH5 and a vintage lens, or even one of the new budget lenses that has a bit of vintage character. If nothing else, it's nice to live in a time when we can pretty much get whatever look we want and relatively cheap.