Sign in to follow this  
pitch4d

What Rode mic to get?

Hey all I own a Nikon D5300 and I am looking to purchase a shotgun mic for some run and gun stuff.  My question is since it doesn't have a headphone jack which Rode videomic should I get so that I can plug in my headphones and mic with an adapter.

at 1:04 he explains the use of a splitter so he can use his headphones with it.

So what Rode mics have a removable cable from the mic itself?

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Since you don't have a headphone jack on the camera you have two options, get an external recorder and set it up like your video....in the video the only reason they have a spliter coming out of the headphone jack on the recorder is for a guide track inside the camera so it's easier to sync the recorder audio with the camera. As for the microphone to get if you're going the external mic route I think the Rode NGT-2 is usually favored. 

Second option would be a shotgun mic that can mount to your hotshoe and has a built in recorder with a headphone jack the Shure Vp83F http://amzn.to/1edCUe3 comes to mind.  Rode I believe was actually the first to announce a mini shotgun with internal recorder several years ago called the video mic pro HD but I haven't seen it being sold anywhere. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By dpante
      Hello!

I'm selling my barely-used Rode NT3 microphone. The Rode NT3 is a condenser microphone with a cardioid pattern, which makes it great for recording indoor dialogue.
      I originally bought it a few years ago to record audio for a web series project, but aside from a few test recordings, it wasn't used at all (the project fell through). Since then, it's just been sitting in my closet, waiting to be put to use. It still has 6 years left in its 10-year warranty. It works perfectly, and comes with everything that came in the original box, including the microphone mount, foam windscreen, pouch, and all papers. The only thing that isn't perfect is the pouch— the zipper came off (you'll see in the photos below).

More information about the NT3 can be found here: http://www.rode.com/microphones/nt3

New, it sells for $269: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...icrophone.html

Used, you can usually find it between $150-$200.
      I've put it up for auction on eBay, starting at $0.01: https://www.ebay.com/itm/273155915340
      Thanks for looking, and let me know if you have any questions!

• By mechanicalEYE
      I have a used Rode Stereo VideoMic X for sale. Excellent condition.

Will come with the Box, and the Pop Shield and Wind Shield.

I'm located in the DFW area of Texas

Looking to get $350.00 shipped within the USA OBO.
    • By andrew berekdar
      Hi everyone,
      I'm having a kit clearance. All in great condition, some items completely new.
      Get in touch if you're interested in the following:

Rode NTG2 with case, perfect condition (£150)
      Tecpro Felloni Daylight LED 1x1 panel with case and send (£500)
      Atomos Ninja Star prores recorder with CFast card UNUSED (£300)
      Tamron EF 70-300 with box (£200)
      Canon EFS 60mm macro with box  (£275)
      Canon EF 85mm 1.8 with box (£275)
      3 x CFL soft boxes with stands, 12 lamps and bag for the lot(£100)
      3 x Lowell CFL lamps for rifa / other soft boxes, used once (£45)
      Konova Slider with Master Pan unit (£375 for both)
      Blackmagic Micro Cinema Camera, used once (£700)
      Lightcraft workshop Variable ND filter 77mm ( £50)
      Aputure VS3 Monitor (£150)
      Aputure Canon Lens Regain EF to MFT adapter and speedbooster USED ONCE (£400)
    • By mikep
      hello,

I am looking to get a camera for shooting some video, so i thought i would post a topic. recently i have been a bit slack on keeping up with video camera / dslr news as i have been busy this past year with work and things, so i feel a bit out of touch and a little lost.

should i stay with dslr, should i go mirrorless, or whatever, i have honestly no clue.

i have a nikon d700 at the moment, which i have used primarily for stills, and now that i need to shoot a few vids, obviously since the d700 has no video function, i need to sell it and get something else.

i have a few nice lenses, nikon 50mm, 70-200, 24 1.4, and a schneider 90mm, so i do have some investment in lenses in the f mount, which i guess i could sell to buy into something else, but obviously id probably rather keep my lenses, as it just easier. and id prefer to keep my lenses because i do still need to shoot stills.

so, if you were me, what would you do? the options as i see it are:

1) sell d700 and buy a d750 or some other nikon body

2) sell d700 and lenses and then buy some other system

3) keep the d700 for stills and just buy something different altogether for video, a sony a7r, or a g4 or something else (i have no idea tbh)

4) sell d700 and get a a7r and an adapter for my lenses ....

so, as you can see im in a bit of a pickle with how to proceed, so if you can give me some ideas, that would be great.

also just for fun, lets pretend i didnt currently have a d700, or any lenses, and i wanted to buy some stuff for video, if you were going to spend $3000 ish on a new setup for video, what would you choose and why?

ps i have some lights already, well, i have some studio strobes that i think can double as constant lighting, so just camera only please.

Thanks.

ps thanks !!!