Camera Manufacturer Dead Pool

PolarStarArts

5 hours ago, IronFilm said:

And I'd argue that for many amateurs then MFT is an excellent choice to consider, as most people don't want to carry around a whole backpack of photography gear! 

Exactly my case.

In my last vacation trip, the gear was:

- 2 cameras: a GX85 (me) and an LX100 (my girlfriend);

- Lenses: Panasonic 12-32mm f/3.5-5.6 (a little gem), Panasonic 45-175mm f/4-5.6 (very underrated lens), Panasonic 42,5mm f/1.7 and a Rokinon 12mm f/2.0;

- Supports: a Crane-M gimbal and a MeFoto RoadTrip tripod.

All the camera / lenses could fit in a messnger bag, the tripod attached to it, and the gimbal on hand. Or everything in a Lowepro Fastpack 200 backpack.

Did not miss any more equipment.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Do you think say an Olympus EM1 even might be able to eliminate having to use a Gimbal? They are Really good IBIS wise with the right Olympus lenses on them. Man I Hate using a Gimbal, let along carrying one around.

You can buy a EM1 cheaper than a G85. Crazy good Photo camera, maybe not so hot on the video side. The mk II is a lot better on the video side.

On 8/1/2019 at 12:13 PM, webrunner5 said:

Do you think say an Olympus EM1 even might be able to eliminate having to use a Gimbal? They are Really good IBIS wise with the right Olympus lenses on them. Man I Hate using a Gimbal, let along carrying one around.

You can buy a EM1 cheaper than a G85. Crazy good Photo camera, maybe not so hot on the video side. The mk II is a lot better on the video side.

Did not have an E-M1, but already had a E-M5 MK II. Stationary, gimbal is not needed at all; but for panning shots and walking, gimbals are very useful. And like rangefinder style cameras when travelling / street - people don't bother with them, the SLR format of the E-M1 is much more intimidating. And heavier. :)

Very tempted for the new Crane-M, because of the wifi integration - very pratical to start / stop recording using the gimbal handle. Only if the payload was around 1 kg... (and could connect to Olympus cameras too).

On 8/1/2019 at 7:20 AM, IronFilm said:

And I'd argue that for many amateurs then MFT is an excellent choice to consider, as most people don't want to carry around a whole backpack of photography gear! 

Exactly the reason I've used them for some years - even more so now that Panasonic has excellent IBIS. I quite often pair a GX80 with the Pana 14-140 zoom - dual-IS, and a very compact overall combination (smaller than some 'super-zoom' cameras but with a larger sensor). Recently, after much thinking about whether I could live with the larger, heavier body, I bought a G9 primarily to get 4k60p and better 1080p - one of my better decisions, it's a great hybrid camera for my (amateur) purposes, and the IBIS is on another level compared to the GX80 (for me, that's worth a lot more than relatively small improvements in picture quality I might get with moving to APS-C sensor cameras).

On 8/1/2019 at 9:45 PM, leslie said:

im ticked off with nikon, I bought the nikon v1 when it came only to have nikon bale out on that system awhile ago. brands like go on about user loyalty and blah blah blah but i cant see how they have done me and others any favours. I'm glad it wasn't a car, imagine trying to get parts for that in 12 months at least with a  camera i can toss it without too much remorse when it breaks.

Nikon DEFINITELY will not abandon Z Mount just like that, unless they wish to give up on their entire company for good! ha

Nikon is innovating with the Z camera series and lens.  They have quality in camera and glass and they pushed the 10 bit full frame market farther then anyone had.  That's innovation because they didn't have to do that with video. 

They have also updated and improved AF and added EYE AF.  

Nikon has more of the camera market share then Sony. And Sony lost market share with 3 new full frame brands hitting the market. 

Nikon makes tons of money in the health imaging industry and semi conductor. 

Companies make money on the lenses they make and long therm buyers. Nikon owns the low market with Canon.  If you go into Best Buy you see Nikon and Canon and 3 Sony cameras. 

Nikon will not stumble anymore and they have the brand that people still admire and look up too.  Professionals and beginners use Nikon, and more then they use Sony.

6 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

Oh my God did IronFilm Trim his beard and get a Haircut!! He looks well.....normal lol. Grats if true.

ha!
No I just changed my profile pic last night (which I don't even remember doing.... I was out drinking last night)
That was a photo from NZ's Beard Contest last year (this year's one is a few weeks away), the beard looks shorter because it is braided in that pic?

2 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

ha!
No I just changed my profile pic last night (which I don't even remember doing.... I was out drinking last night)
That was a photo from NZ's Beard Contest last year (this year's one is a few weeks away), the beard looks shorter because it is braided in that pic?

I kind of figured it was Photoshoped lol. I was sort of hoping you got kicked up to Executive Producer and seen the light

3 hours ago, Skip77 said:

Nikon is innovating with the Z camera series and lens.  They have quality in camera and glass and they pushed the 10 bit full frame market farther then anyone had.

Well the Z system lack 10bit internal, which Panasonic has (both MFT and FF). 

I think Nikon Z series is already arguably "the best" mirrorless at the moment, but if Nikon implemented 10bit internal then that would make their case even stronger. 

3 hours ago, Skip77 said:

Companies make money on the lenses they make and long therm buyers. Nikon owns the low market with Canon.  If you go into Best Buy you see Nikon and Canon and 3 Sony cameras. 

Nikon will not stumble anymore and they have the brand that people still admire and look up too.  Professionals and beginners use Nikon, and more then they use Sony.

And this is why we'll see a Nikon DX mirrorless sooner rather than later. Because we're in the transition period to the new mirrorless era, and if Nikon wants to keep on dominating the low end market (which is key to do! As today's low end buyer might be your professional or keen enthusiast of the future, get them hooked while they're young!) then they'll need DX mirrorless cameras in the future.

And Nikon is just a cool brand. 

I never even looked at Nikon because I needed video. That changed when I got better video footage then the FS7 (and DP I hired) on a multi day video shoot. The Nikon has better color then the FS7. 

The Z6 with adapted Nikon lenses gives you more lens selections then you will ever need. And for professional video rent or buy cine lens.