Panasonic: Consumer market will lead on 4K

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
4k ...... Well that was inevitable. But Panasonic have a massive opportunity to make a big impact on the market with the GH4. Just 4k isn't attractive, as many don't need it.

I just hope we see:
1080p 10 bit 422 ProRes recording
120FPS at 1080p
Better dynamic range and low light

Although I think raw would be an awesome addition, this is probably asking too much. If they did include it, even at 1080p - this would be pretty much the ultimate camera.

Full Frame it isn't, but Super 35 is absolutely fine and you can get this pretty much with a Speed booster.

I hope Panasonic do this. Please do.

4k ...... Well that was inevitable. But Panasonic have a massive opportunity to make a big impact on the market with the GH4. Just 4k isn't attractive, as many don't need it.

I just hope we see:
1080p 10 bit 422 ProRes recording
120FPS at 1080p
Better dynamic range and low light

I agree about the 10 bit 4:2:2, but it's more likely to record in Panasonic AVC Ultra or Intra codec than ProRes.  The engine should have no problem processing 120-240 FPS if it can process 4K at 30 FPS... unless it's reading the entire sensor (like the RX10).

My guess is 8 bit 4.2.0 in a Panasonic codec priced about £2000 and all the same problems like 8 bit mini hdmi with monitor overlays and maybe no sound recorded on the hdmi out. Followed by a higher end video camera priced about £10 grand that's an af101 replacement with true 10 bit 4.2.2 out.

I bet they're all expecting BMD to fail as they are more and more coming out of favour with film makers thanks to there complete disregard in communicating and quality control.

I fear a return to the bad old days is on the cards. I hope not.

Well they put a pseudo 10 bit on the af101 in the end so maybe they will on a camcorder I really don't think they will on a DSLR that would make them the first to do it and set a precedent. You would hope Panasonic would have learned from crippling the af101 It would have been a best seller if it only had 10 bit 4.2.2 out and decent resolution. I doubt BMD would have got a look in as most would have been satisfied with the panny and an offboard recorder. Funny really how they shoot themselves in the foot over and over by holding back technology.
I can see a new marketing strategy going on in the board rooms.

COMPANY EXECUTIVES
We must all stick together. If we start competing it will force prices down.

CHAIRMAN
We all agree.

They all say aye.

CANONE EXEC
The camera is getting old and we haven't sold many.
CANONE BOSS
Right plan B Secretly send the camera blueprint to magic lantern.
CANONE EXEC
It worked sales are up ten fold. And the pro's sales unaffected. Do you think the other manufacturers will think we stitched them up?
CANONE BOSS
Panatonic have Vitaliy.
CANONE EXEC
Won't Sone cotton on and get their own guru?
CANONE BOSS
Long as we don't let them hack the pro gear Sone will stick to crippling the low end.
CANONE EXEC
What about BMD?
CANONE BOSS
Easy take everything to 4k and cripple it.
CANONE EXEC
But BMD will get into 4K
CANONE BOSS
Have you see a BMC 4K camera?
CANONE EXEC
Heh heh.

To be fair, Panasonic have a good tradition of bringing out cameras that defy the traditional Japanese companies.

One of my first cameras was the HVX200, a real step forward, at the time. 100mbps, 4:2:2, 1080/24p and 720/60p.... It was very well spec'd compared to the rest of the market.

The GH2 was a similar push forward... Also, the AF100 was the first to have 1080/60p?