Sony RX100 Mark II (M2) Review - evolution in times of revolution

Andrew Reid

No I really think BMD has a staged rollout plan where only the most dedicated enthusiasts get their hands on one and they favor dealers who can handle significant numbers of returns painlessly (like B&H) rather than smaller or far-flung shops where a single return creates a channel hassle. They do this precisely as you surmise because consumer expectations are generally higher than people willing to suffer for their art, so they keep the products scarce while they are still very, uhm...RAW.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators

in fact this test was based on RAW

The issue is that noise reduction is clearly applied to the images posted.

Therefore the test is invalid.

There's not much difference anyway even then. The lows are clearly crushed on the RX100 M2 to make it look better in reviews. I'm unimpressed.

Who says I am talking about their existing IBIS? I'm not. The new Olympus 5 axis IBIS is a separate technology which is part of a broader exchange of parts between the companies via Sony's stake in Olympus. It will appear on *future* cameras. Sony are supplying Olympus with sensors, and now Olympus are supplying optical tech. It has nothing to do with Sony's existing system or the older Minolta one from which it was derived. Quite aware of that thanks.

Source:

http://www.43rumors.com/ft4-olympus-will-now-share-the-5-axis-stabilization-system-with-sony/

Thanks for clarifying, just like to add , still the IBIS part is all Minolta ( yes even Olympus are just re using that technology courtesy of their patent sharing agreement held between the old big 5 ) but the utilization of the 5 axis senor feedback is something new to Photographic use ( but not new in other imaging fields ). Somewhat now it goes full circle I wager. Sadly no one yet still able to figure out a reliable way to do sensor tilt yet. That would take care of many " camera shake " issue which the plano movement cannot cure. 

The Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera has a ProRes encoder in there for $999. Now there’s just no reason for Sony not to get real about video processing in their stills cameras.

You know what, I wager this is where Sony sees it, its a still camera . They are probably wanting all of us to use the VG series or at the very least the NEX to do Video instead. 

• Administrators

If you don't like the RX100 mark II you can always get an RX100 mark I with a wooden handle for $2k.

http://www.hasselblad-stellar.com

It's the redefinition of ridiculous...

It's a text book illustration of excessive profit chasing will result in the death of your brand.

I used to associate Hasselblad with medium format image quality and $45,000 cameras.

Now I associate them with rebadging old Sony cameras which you can pick up for $400 on eBay.

The design and finish of the Lunar isn't even nice. The RX100 mod is even more lazy, practically the only change is the grip.

Hasselblad are toast. DSLRs like the 36MP D800 are now good enough to replace medium format and digital backs. The company was bought out by a venture capitalist firm recently who were asked to look at ways of leveraging the brand for more profit and the disastrous Sony rebadges are a direct result of that.

Under current management practices (which aren't sustainable) and non-engineering lead product launches, let's see how long they last for. Want to take bets? 2 years?

Well, I seriously considered the Sony before, but the lack of a mic in was a showstopper for me. That it still doesn't have one still is. I ended up buying the Canon M, and with the new firmware the problem of AF (if you even use it which I don't) makes it seem to be a much better camera in the price range than the Sony. But the new Panny you feature today seems even better. If it really has IS and the resolution of the larger Panny's it will be a very good buy. Need to read that review now! As someone who has shot with both the C100 and the Lumix, however, I would never agree with you that the Panny gives us C100 users something to think about. I bought the C100 after shooting with the Panny. It's a nice DSLR, but it is not a C100. No slam on the low end panny's but it's a very different product. 

• 9 months later...

"Solved! The RX100 M2 adds both the cinema frame rates 24p and 25p at a bitrate of 24Mbit/s. The old model only had 1080/60p and something called ‘interlaced’ which dates from 1984. Generously the RX100 M2 adds both 24p AND 25p because it is PAL / NTSC switchable. Hooray!"

Unfortunately does not appear to be true with North American model......but thanks for the review.

• 5 months later...
Schnorgie, is it not PAL/NTSC switchable??

**Sony Cyber-shot RX100 II M2 Wi-Fi Digital Camera 32 GB SD Card Case Bundle, US$389**

Hmmm..... I'm getting really tempted to get one myself now!

Anything else I'm missing instead? The RX100mk3 doesn't seem like it is worth it for the extra price, and as lovely as the LX100, it too is also a lot more expensive. 

• 11 months later...

For that price it is a great deal, as long as you won't miss the 4K of the LX100. It is so nice to have such a small but capable camera with you all the time. It is a jump up in video because the first version only does interlaced 1080. My guess is that the 3rd and 4th versions aren't that much better to warrant paying the much higher prices, unless you need the specific features like EVF and slow motion.