cinematic color?

stefanocps

• Super Members
On 2/28/2019 at 12:40 PM, BTM_Pix said:

I think the approach is to mirror how we are directed in our actual vision which is by light, movement and sound cues.

I'm not sure 360 will ever really gain traction other than niche or edutainment purposes but I think what would be very viable is 3D 180.

You're then giving people the same cinematic experience that they've grown up with but just enhancing it with a bit more "look around" capability, which will offer up some interesting new possibilities.

So....

Insta360 have announced this today, the 360 EVO

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora/video/news/just-announced-insta360-evo-ultra-compact-folding-360-vr-3d-camera

It is a 360 twin lens camera but the big trick is that it folds out so you can also use the lenses to do 180 degree 3D.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
9 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

So....

Insta360 have announced this today, the 360 EVO

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora/video/news/just-announced-insta360-evo-ultra-compact-folding-360-vr-3d-camera

It is a 360 twin lens camera but the big trick is that it folds out so you can also use the lenses to do 180 degree 3D.

That's awesome. I wonder if stereo mode gives you two 16x9 videos or one frame with two squeezed images.

I understand the fisheye for the 360 stuff, but for stereoscopic images it could be problematic, since we don't see the world with those distortions. Stereo photography is about trying to place the viewer in the scene, but that illusion would be lost. That's also the reason I never bought into those GoPro stereo cases. 

Never the less, it's an interesting concept, and as a Stereo Realist user, I hope this works out, as there's a lack of worthwhile 3D cameras out there. (I think the Fuji W3 is probably the best of the bunch, but it's getting on a bit)

• Super Members
22 minutes ago, Anaconda_ said:

That's awesome. I wonder if stereo mode gives you two 16x9 videos or one frame with two squeezed images.

I understand the fisheye for the 360 stuff, but for stereoscopic images it could be problematic, since we don't see the world with those distortions. Stereo photography is about trying to place the viewer in the scene, but that illusion would be lost. That's also the reason I never bought into those GoPro stereo cases. 

Never the less, it's an interesting concept, and as a Stereo Realist user, I hope this works out, as there's a lack of worthwhile 3D cameras out there. (I think the Fuji W3 is probably the best of the bunch, but it's getting on a bit)

I'm only basing this on my experience with the Insta360OneX so it remains to be seen if it the same when the full product details for this one are released but the fisheyes are just a means to an end with their stuff to get enough coverage for post produced flat videos.

I'm not saying that they don't expect anyone to be producing videos with headset viewing in mind but I definitely think they appreciate that the real strength of these cameras is in using their software to take all that coverage and use it to produce really well stabilised re-framed flat content.

If that is the same approach with this for the 180 3D (ie 180 degree over capture but with the intention of producing final content with say 60 degrees of coverage) then the additional software corrections may make it more natural.

It still won't be as good as a dedicated camera with a more appropriate lens (and the flat videos I've made from my Insta360OneX are still a tiny bit too gopro wide to be honest) but it will be interesting to see what its like.

Their teaser video for it has people ooohing and aahhhing looking at its content on a phone so they may also have a viewing app that does a trick as well.

Ironically though, it is very reminiscent of the teaser that RED did for the Hydrogen and comes only a few hours after RED quietly dropped the proposed add on modules for that and appear to be having a bit of a re-think...

Awesome - 3D stuff is moving along nicely :)

In terms of the fisheye stuff, when you're viewing a 3D image with VR goggles you're cropped into the image significantly, plus the fisheye is eliminated in software.  

This is a screen grab from a mobile VR test app I wrote:

IMG_3568.thumb.PNG.1f0b0560b87de5318ada15970ed54bfc.PNG

When you have the goggles on that line is straight...

• Super Members
28 minutes ago, kye said:

In terms of the fisheye stuff, when you're viewing a 3D image with VR goggles you're cropped into the image significantly, plus the fisheye is eliminated in software.  

Yeah, I think this is where they are approaching it from but in a VR goggles free viewer.

They certainly seem excited in this video and the lack of movement of the phone suggests its for over capture for crop approach rather than being something the viewer is going to pan around themselves.