Jump to content
stefanocps

can't decide on a new camera

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

Yeah I usually get lenses separate as they often charge more for the kit lens than I can get it used, if I get the kit lens at all. But I am in the US so may not be the same where you live. 

Gotta weigh your options man. Its hard to know what is beneficial without using it. I had the GH5 for a while only to find IBIS wasn't that important to me. 

what you using now, gh5? anyway it seems that the choice is gh5 or XT3(or xh1 for more lenses options with same budget)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
2 minutes ago, newfoundmass said:

One question I have, and it might have been asked already, but do you need a camera that doesn't have recording limits? Are you okay with 29:59 recording limits? 

yes this is not really a point for me. I think never recorded up to 29 minutes

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, stefanocps said:

what you using now, gh5? anyway it seems that the choice is gh5 or XT3(or xh1 for more lenses options with same budget)

Right now I have an XT3, XT2, and BM pocket camera. I do weddings so I need three cameras and its nice to have back ups for paid work. 

I went with Fuji as I like their color, means less work in post, sometimes no color work in post. Canon is great for color too but Fuji products offer a lot more for a lot less. Low light performance is a big plus as well as auto focus. 

The XT3 with a used kit lens 18-55, is the best bang for your buck right now I think. The 18-55 has OIS so you can do some handheld work too. If you don't need 10bit the Fuji XT30 with kit lens would be a good deal. You'd save $400.

I almost went with an XH1 as a second camera, but I really don't need IBIS. Especially because the Fuji IBIS is not as good as panasonic. Good as a tripod replacement but I don't mind just using a tripod. I may have gone with a Z6 but the color science isn't as pleasing and I couldn't afford buying two of them. I am very happy with the XT3.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, stefanocps said:

yes this is not really a point for me. I think never recorded up to 29 minutes

Okay so then Fuji is an option! 

I still lean towards the GH5 personally because it has all the pro features you could want outside of the weaker AF. Fuji I'm looking at very closely though to see what the future holds. The advances they've made in video in such a short period is fantastic! They really could entice me to switch soon with the right camera! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

Right now I have an XT3, XT2, and BM pocket camera. I do weddings so I need three cameras and its nice to have back ups for paid work. 

I went with Fuji as I like their color, means less work in post, sometimes no color work in post. Canon is great for color too but Fuji products offer a lot more for a lot less. Low light performance is a big plus as well as auto focus. 

The XT3 with a used kit lens 18-55, is the best bang for your buck right now I think. The 18-55 has OIS so you can do some handheld work too. If you don't need 10bit the Fuji XT30 with kit lens would be a good deal. You'd save $400.

I almost went with an XH1 as a second camera, but I really don't need IBIS. Especially because the Fuji IBIS is not as good as panasonic. Good as a tripod replacement but I don't mind just using a tripod. I may have gone with a Z6 but the color science isn't as pleasing and I couldn't afford buying two of them. I am very happy with the XT3.

i think xt3 witn 18 55 could really be the one for me, and if needed i could get later a gimbal. Still i could save money getting xh1 or xt30. How will it change in practice the difference 8/10 bit recording?What are the specs on hdmi recording with xt30?

15 minutes ago, newfoundmass said:

Okay so then Fuji is an option! 

I still lean towards the GH5 personally because it has all the pro features you could want outside of the weaker AF. Fuji I'm looking at very closely though to see what the future holds. The advances they've made in video in such a short period is fantastic! They really could entice me to switch soon with the right camera! 

i know what you mean, gh5 also is a real otpion for me too. What stop me is 1) it is old technbology right now.2/3 years makes a lot of difference. And anothe r thinf g is that wether i know gh3 is another world from gh5 they have something in common, i thonk it is  t he panasonic flavour. And i am kind of fedup with this flavour. For sure with a good cc the flavour change totally, i am talking about the filke played has it comes out from the machine. Most probably it is only a prejudice

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, stefanocps said:

i think xt3 witn 18 55 could really be the one for me, and if needed i could get later a gimbal. Still i could save money getting xh1 or xt30. How will it change in practice the difference 8/10 bit recording?What are the specs on hdmi recording with xt30?

You can record 10 bit 422 out on the XT30, so it has future upgrade potential. 

Log doesn't grade as well in 8 bit. Fuji log isn't too bad though better then 8 bit sony S-log or Panasonic 8 bit V-log. However you also can record in Eterna, which isn't log but has pretty high dynamic range. Getting a cheap speedbooster plus some cheap vintage lenses gives you some pretty cool results on the Fuji too.

8 minutes ago, stefanocps said:

I know what you mean, gh5 also is a real otpion for me too. What stop me is 1) it is old technbology right now.2/3 years makes a lot of difference. And anothe r thinf g is that wether i know gh3 is another world from gh5 they have something in common, i thonk it is  t he panasonic flavour. And i am kind of fedup with this flavour. For sure with a good cc the flavour change totally, i am talking about the filke played has it comes out from the machine

The GH5 with vlog and HLG definitely has a different flavor, the lessened crop and IBIS make it a really unique camera. I do agree the tech is getting older. I wish the GH5S had IBIS, it really would be hard to beat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

You can record 10 bit 422 out on the XT30, so it has future upgrade potential. 

Log doesn't grade as well in 8 bit. Fuji log isn't too bad though better then 8 bit sony S-log or Panasonic 8 bit V-log. However you also can record in Eterna, which isn't log but has pretty high dynamic range. Getting a cheap speedbooster plus some cheap vintage lenses gives you some pretty cool results on the Fuji too.

may be xt3 is overall and worthy better option over xt30

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, stefanocps said:

i know what you mean, gh5 also is a real otpion for me too. What stop me is 1) it is old technbology right now.2/3 years makes a lot of difference. And anothe r thinf g is that wether i know gh3 is another world from gh5 they have something in common, i thonk it is  t he panasonic flavour. And i am kind of fedup with this flavour. For sure with a good cc the flavour change totally, i am talking about the filke played has it comes out from the machine

I understand. I think the colors out of the GH5 have improved greatly since the GH3. That was one of the major things we saw first with the GH4 and later with the GH5, where it got even better, and GH5s which is the best color I've seen out of these Panasonic cameras. I usually do little, if any, tweaking with the footage I get unless I'm going for a specific look or absolutely need to. 

Even though it's a 2 year old camera it's not completely fair to hold that against it. It still does stuff that other cameras don't, and there's still no camera in its price range that matches all of its features. The Panasonic GH5 was so ahead that it took 2 years for everyone else to catch up, and even so they haven't completely. Plus they're still releasing firmware updates to improve performance :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, stefanocps said:

may be xt3 is overall and worthy better option over xt30

Its definitely a great camera, though you may not need it. The XT30 has the same H264 image quality and auto focus at a cheaper price. I may have went with the XT30 if it had been released last year when I got the XT3, but I am not sure. I rarely do extensive grading so 8 bit is fine for me 90% of the time realistically. 

 

1 minute ago, newfoundmass said:

I understand. I think the colors out of the GH5 have improved greatly since the GH3. That was one of the major things we saw first with the GH4 and later with the GH5 and GH5s. I usually do little, if any, tweaking with the footage I get unless I'm going for a specific look or absolutely need to. 

Even though it's a 2 year old camera it's not completely fair to hold that against it. It still does stuff that other cameras don't, and there's still no camera in its price range that matches all of its features. The Panasonic GH5 was so ahead that it took 2 years for everyone else to catch up, and even so they didn't completely. :)

Nothing matches it in terms of overall features. Fuji pretty much has it beat, but no IBIS and of course no 422 if that is your need. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, newfoundmass said:

I understand. I think the colors out of the GH5 have improved greatly since the GH3. That was one of the major things we saw first with the GH4 and later with the GH5 and GH5s. I usually do little, if any, tweaking with the footage I get unless I'm going for a specific look or absolutely need to. 

Even though it's a 2 year old camera it's not completely fair to hold that against it. It still does stuff that other cameras don't, and there's still no camera in its price range that matches all of its features. The Panasonic GH5 was so ahead that it took 2 years for everyone else to catch up, and even so they didn't completely. :)

yes may be t is not the color what i talk about, (though i think the red dominant is still there) but more is the sharpness. Also i had lots of problem with my gh3, the dial get spolled 2 times...Can't really tell, as i sadi may be it is only a prejudice. But i am with you., with the potentital GH5 looks still a great camera and it is still my possibile choice along wit XT3

5 minutes ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

Its definitely a great camera, though you may not need it. The XT30 has the same H264 image quality and auto focus at a cheaper price. I may have went with the XT30 if it had been released last year when I got the XT3, but I am not sure. I rarely do extensive grading so 8 bit is fine for me 90% of the time realistically. 

 

Nothing matches it in terms of overall features. Fuji pretty much has it beat, but no IBIS and of course no 422 if that is your need. 

i don t do either intensive grading, with gh3 i could o little because of my knoledge but also because of the machine itself. I always have wished to be able to do more grading though, and i don t know how the 8 vs 10 bit and 422 vs 420  could affect me (compared to the possibility gh3 offfered me)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

6 minutes ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

Nothing matches it in terms of overall features. Fuji pretty much has it beat, but no IBIS and of course no 422 if that is your need

That's really why Fuji has my attention. I think in the next couple of years we'll see a Fuji that's on the same level as the Panasonic GH series, and maybe even better overall in all the features. It really depends how much they're looking to cater to video shooters; indicators look promising! 

5 minutes ago, stefanocps said:

yes may be t is not the color what i talk about, (though i think the red dominant is still there) but more is the sharpness. Also i had lots of problem with my gh3, the dial get spolled 2 times...Can't really tell, as i sadi may be it is only a prejudice. But i am with you., with the potentital GH5 looks still a great camera and it is still my possibile choice along wit XT3

When you say sharpness, do you mean too sharp or not sharp enough? Because I too have found times when the GH5 is almost too sharp for me and I'll dial down the sharpness in camera or fix it in post.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, newfoundmass said:

 

That's really why Fuji has my attention. I think in the next couple of years we'll see a Fuji that's on the same level as the Panasonic GH series, and maybe even better overall in all the features. It really depends how much they're looking to cater to video shooters; indicators look promising! 

When you say sharpness, do you mean too sharp or not sharp enough? Because I too have found times when the GH5 is almost too sharp for me and I'll dial down the sharpness in camera or fix it in post.

too sharp, a times seems so electronic image

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, stefanocps said:

too sharp, a times seems so electronic image

The Fuji image is more organic. You can grade with 8 bit, I honestly don't think you'll be unhappy with the XT-20. If money isn't an issue go with the XT3, but if its a choice between the XT3 or more lenses I'd get more lenses. 

If you use the XT3 you'll have to transcode the 10 bit files to prores or something that you can edit. H265 10 bit edits like a snail on most PCs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

The Fuji image is more organic. You can grade with 8 bit, I honestly don't think you'll be unhappy with the XT-20. If money isn't an issue go with the XT3, but if its a choice between the XT3 or more lenses I'd get more lenses. 

If you use the XT3 you'll have to transcode the 10 bit files to prores or something that you can edit. H265 10 bit edits like a snail on most PCs. 

xt20 or 30?

Yes you touch an importan tpoint the editing possibility of h265,..that scares me, my pc is oggd, was ood, t is 4 years old and i fear it could be a nightmare working with xt3 files

I wouldnt struggle with xt30 right? or may be i will have less hard time with XH1 also?what about gh5's files?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, stefanocps said:

xt20 or 30?

Yes you touch an importan tpoint the editing possibility of h265,..that scares me, my pc is oggd, was ood, t is 4 years old and i fear it could be a nightmare working with xt3 files

I wouldnt struggle with xt30 right? or may be i will have less hard time with XH1 also?what about gh5's files?

Opps I meant the XT30, the XT20 is a big step down.

The GH5 10 bit H264 files are easier on the system than Fuji 10 bit H265. Though its likely you may have to transcode both files to prores. 

4K even in 8 bit is harder to edit, depends on how fast your PC is. I always edit in 1080 for smoother playback.

In general when recording 8 bit the XH1, XT30, and XT3 will all edit the same. The XT3 has the All-I recording option at 400mbps, which is less compressed, so it will edit a bit better. Huge file sizes though. 


 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

Opps I meant the XT30, the XT20 is a big step down.

The GH5 10 bit H264 files are easier on the system than Fuji 10 bit H265. Though its likely you may have to transcode both files to prores. 

4K even in 8 bit is harder to edit, depends on how fast your PC is. I always edit in 1080 for smoother playback.

In general when recording 8 bit the XH1, XT30, and XT3 will all edit the same. The XT3 has the All-I recording option at 400mbps, which is less compressed, so it will edit a bit better. Huge file sizes though. 


 

I will edit definitely on 2k also.i want the 4k only because i can crop and this expand edit possibilies.

So one of the 3 fuji or gh5...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...