DSLR Video Revolution

Mako Sports

Whilst the DSLR video Revolution ended in 2014, some say it wasn't worth it.

But the question is where would we be today if we didn't have it?

It spawned "afforadable" mid tier Super 35 ILC video cameras like the C100, FS100, FS700. 

The cameras that sparked the beginning of the end of the revolution. (GH4, A7S, NX1, Pocket Cinema, BMC 2.5K) Would they exist?

https://www.redsharknews.com/production/item/2862-opinion-the-end-of-the-dslr-revolution-benefits-major-manufacturers

https://www.eoshd.com/2017/06/pro-cameras-not-creatively-liberating/

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
8 hours ago, Mako Sports said:

Whilst the DSLR video Revolution ended in 2014, some say it wasn't worth it.

But the question is where would we be today if we didn't have it?

It spawned "afforadable" mid tier Super 35 ILC video cameras like the C100, FS100, FS700. 

The cameras that sparked the beginning of the end of the revolution. (GH4, A7S, NX1, Pocket Cinema, BMC 2.5K) Would they exist?

https://www.redsharknews.com/production/item/2862-opinion-the-end-of-the-dslr-revolution-benefits-major-manufacturers

https://www.eoshd.com/2017/06/pro-cameras-not-creatively-liberating/

We'd either be shooting on handicams or ILC video cameras like C100s.  There might actually be more action in those sectors as there would be more money.  I saw a guy vlogging in public with a little handicam and it was covered in stickers that said 4K and Stabilisation and things like that.  We might be talking about which handicams have 10-bit, and if the C50mkII would have C-Log, and if the FS3 would have internal 10-bit, and the P4K thread would probably still be talking about battery life, strange bugs, and shipping delays ;)

7 minutes ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

I like the handicam ergonomics better than the still camera form factor. Wouldn't mind seeing one with a nice S35 sensor and a nice built in zoom lens with IS.

Reminds me of the Sony VG30 and VG30 onmy thing with a Super 35 sensor is that lens wouldnt have very much reach. It would be something along the lines of the Sony 18-110mm F4

IMO, cell phones will produce 99% of the content online in 6 years, outside of big productions. The rolling shutter will be fixed by the increase in processing power & phones are coming with multiple lenses attached. HDR video (50p split into two captures a second (over & under exposed) and combined/processed into 24p reaches insane DR. 2025 will consist of most content producers using a $2,000 cell phone, maybe even from RED. 

Companies are using "influencers" more & more over big productions to advertise their stuff. 

46 minutes ago, Snowbro said:

IMO, cell phones will produce 99% of the content online in 6 years, outside of big productions. The rolling shutter will be fixed by the increase in processing power & phones are coming with multiple lenses attached. HDR video (50p split into two captures a second (over & under exposed) and combined/processed into 24p reaches insane DR. 2025 will consist of most content producers using a $2,000 cell phone, maybe even from RED. 

Companies are using "influencers" more & more over big productions to advertise their stuff. 

What about audio? I don't know cell phone form factor is kind of a pain imo. Would be great for vloggers. 

12 minutes ago, Snowbro said:

The thing is; most content is consumed on social media formats now (IG, FB, YT) & on mobile devices. The expected quality is lower than what it was years ago. I think photos on IG are only around 1-3mp and taken on 45mp cameras ?

True, I am often amazed at the quality of the photos on my old Google pixel, then I remember I am viewing them on a tiny screen. The dynamic range probably looks 10 times more clean as well as the low light noise.