GH5 In body stabilization

@yan_berthemy_photography

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
2 hours ago, @yan_berthemy_photography said:

Hi there,

just got my GH5, one question, I would like to use In-body stabilization, will in body stabilization this crop the image? 

Using 4k, I know it will crop, but if I add the in body stabilization, will it crop also?

Thanks.

There's no crop with just sensor stabilization, even in 4K. 

I used mine hand-held with a 58mm Helios on it, which is the equivalent of a 116mm lens on full-frame. That worked well when I was able to be reasonably steady but needed a bit of help when I was cold or had been active.

On a gimbal you shouldn't have any problems at all :)

31 minutes ago, kye said:

I used mine hand-held with a 58mm Helios on it, which is the equivalent of a 116mm lens on full-frame. That worked well when I was able to be reasonably steady but needed a bit of help when I was cold or had been active.

On a gimbal you shouldn't have any problems at all :)

100mm is twice as long as 50mm. The issue I have with mounting a long lens on a gimbal is movement. Gimbals are harder to control then simply holding something by hand. If you are just doing a static shot its fine but if you are trying to pan with the gimbal or move its really difficult. 

39 minutes ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

100mm is twice as long as 50mm. The issue I have with mounting a long lens on a gimbal is movement. Gimbals are harder to control then simply holding something by hand. If you are just doing a static shot its fine but if you are trying to pan with the gimbal or move its really difficult. 

I'm still unclear if the OP is using a 100mm lens or a 100mm equivalent lens.

I'm also a little surprised that you didn't get good results. I've only used a gimbal on my phone but it made smooth movement really easy to achieve. Maybe with a longer lens it would help to change to the slowest movement?

What was the problem you had? Was the pan speed uneven or did it not stabilise enough?

30 minutes ago, kye said:

I'm still unclear if the OP is using a 100mm lens or a 100mm equivalent lens.

I'm also a little surprised that you didn't get good results. I've only used a gimbal on my phone but it made smooth movement really easy to achieve. Maybe with a longer lens it would help to change to the slowest movement?

What was the problem you had? Was the pan speed uneven or did it not stabilise enough?

Hard to control movements precisely with a gimbal. A little movement translates to a big movement on a long lens.