Jump to content

Eos R crop in 4K


andrewgray
 Share

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, andrewgray said:

If the sensor is 36mm wide and there's a 1.75 crop on 4K doesn't that make it a 21mm wide chip which is only about 12 percent smaller than a super 35mm chip. Am I missing something? 

Yeah but a m4/3 Sensor in say the PK4 is 18 mm × 13.5 mm. So it is not like the crop is too far away from it either. s35 is 23.5 × 15.7 mm. It is closer to m4/3 for what most people will shoot 4K in. It really is 1.8 for UHD, 1.74 for DCI so it is more like 20mm at times. Either way it pretty much sucks. But it is what it is. If you have a bag of Canon lenses, hopefully some EF-S ones, well you are going to buy it like it or not.

So if you sort of want to match your Canon APSC footage best to shoot in DCI.

Found this chart. First I ever saw listing a PK4. Arri 65mm is...well it is Huge!

http://www.studiodaily.com/2018/07/download-phil-hollands-digital-film-sensor-chart/

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super Members
1 hour ago, FreshGiant said:

Is a focal reducer technically possible? There would be a lot of demand for one if you could get the crop back closer to FF and still have working EF electronics/auto focus.

Its not only possible its already been done on Sony and Fuji. And I have confirmation several different focal reducers are in the making for the EOS-R as well as the Z6/7 :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

Its not only possible its already been done on Sony and Fuji. And I have confirmation several different focal reducers are in the making for the EOS-R as well as the Z6/7 :)

Z6 has no crop in 4K, so I assume such focal reducers are meant to use with medium format lenses? If focal reducers only work in crop mode for video and have to be removed for stills I doubt they are commercially viable.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super Members
2 minutes ago, androidlad said:

Z6 has no crop in 4K, so I assume such focal reducers are meant to use with medium format lenses? If focal reducers only work in crop mode for video and have to be removed for stills I doubt they are commercially viable.

Well. there are plenty of speed boosters for as small sensors as the m4/3, BMPCC s16 all the way down to Pentax Q. So Im sure they will sell just fine.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

Well. there are plenty of speed boosters for as small sensors as the m4/3, BMPCC s16 all the way down to Pentax Q. So Im sure they will sell just fine.

But those cover the whole sensor.

For speedboosters to cover FF sensor, medium format lenses is the only way to go.Insert other media

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I know Kipon does sell a medium format to Sony E mount focal reducer. So maybe they could make one for Nikon as well. There is a EF to Eos R  adapter but Canon doesn't put any glass in there because obviously because it would cause photos to vignette. But if some other company can get that out and get the crop close to full frame AND keep the auto focus working, then I think the EOS R becomes much more interesting for video work.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, androidlad said:

But those cover the whole sensor.

For speedboosters to cover FF sensor, medium format lenses is the only way to go.Insert other media

Well, some FF cameras have a better crop mode than FF mode in video, so one could shoot in crop mode and then gain back the FF FOV and an extra stop by using a speedbooster. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, mercer said:

Well, some FF cameras have a better crop mode than FF mode in video, so one could shoot in crop mode and then gain back the FF FOV and an extra stop by using a speedbooster. 

Yes that's true. From a business standpoint, developing a speedbooster that only works in video doesn't seem viable.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, mercer said:

Well, some FF cameras have a better crop mode than FF mode in video, so one could shoot in crop mode and then gain back the FF FOV and an extra stop by using a speedbooster. 

Yeah and by doing that you help with Rolling Shutter when you are back into FF also.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, androidlad said:

Because Sony use E mount for both FF and APS-C stills/cinema cameras.

A7RII/III have great quality S35 crop mode for video (and stills), but I rarely see people use speedbooster on them.

It was a trick on the original A7s also, They are Terrible for rolling shutter.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, androidlad said:

Because Sony use E mount for both FF and APS-C stills/cinema cameras.

A7RII/III have great quality S35 crop mode for video (and stills), but I rarely see people use speedbooster on them.

I confirm I have a7RII various lenses, practically almost all adapters, but no speed booster ...
Maybe, but I'm thinking about a M42 ... ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Super Members
On 11/12/2018 at 11:15 PM, androidlad said:

Because Sony use E mount for both FF and APS-C stills/cinema cameras.

A7RII/III have great quality S35 crop mode for video (and stills), but I rarely see people use speedbooster on them.

To clarify once again, the Metabones Speedbooster for Sony E-Mount was popular, used by many and recommended by several reviewers to be used on the Full frame A7x.
We are talking about niche stuff here. Most that uses an adapter and definitely speed boosters are a minority of camera nerds. You can't apply what the general public like to stuff like speed boosters. Because they don't buy it anyway. Metabones entire business idea is to cater to camera nerds like us that are willing to jump through all kinds of hoops. 

3 hours ago, maxmizer said:

I confirm I have a7RII various lenses, practically almost all adapters, but no speed booster ...
Maybe, but I'm thinking about a M42 ... ?

I can confirm the opposite :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...