Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Andrew Reid

Google data shows HUGE decline of interest in Canon 5D series

Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, mercer said:

I think he meant “crushing everything else” based on google search numbers. So if we are to believe that this extrapolated data has any direct correlation on sales, or interest, and the 5D series is down, then Panasonic and Sony are really screwed because their numbers are way worse than Canon’s.

Ahh that makes sense. Yeah no doubt Canon is worldwide associated as the Camera to have good or bad. I don't know what to make of Digital cameras anymore. I guess these new Mirrorless cameras will give Canon, especially Nikon a shot in the arm. I really only see Sony, Panasonic innovating at any big scale. Now I am sure Sony sales are pretty good for them. I think Panasonic has surges, but no real forward momentum. The GH5s seems like a great camera but I bet they haven't sold hardly any of them. It is like the GH5 is already flat to me. Like they Need the GH6 out tomorrow! That new Fuji seems dead in the water, at least on here.

I pity all these manufacturers. We seem to Demand some amazing breakthrough every 6 months and a better camera every 3 months LoL. I just don't see how all of them are going to make a buck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
10 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

Crushes, wow that is a pretty over the top statement. Using ML it might. But hell Canon didn't have shit to do with that. And how many people even use it. @mercer is the only one left that isn't banned on here still using it!! 😲

 

Sigh.

I'm talking about the search results from the trends graphs and the premise of this thread which is "Google data shows HUGE decline of interest in Canon 5D series," IQ is irrelevant. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, mercer said:

So if we are to believe that this extrapolated data has any direct correlation on sales, or interest, and the 5D series is down, then Panasonic and Sony are really screwed because their numbers are way worse than Canon’s.

The more logical conclusion is the fact that an interest decline via google searches parallels DSLR sales steady decline.

Numbers according to CIPA:

16,860,535 -- 2012 DSLR production

7,580,720 -- 2017 DSLR shipments

Chris

p.s. the "Sony overheating" search was hilarious. Genius.

Screen Shot 2018-08-11 at 7.35.22 AM.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Trek of Joy said:

The more logical conclusion is the fact that an interest decline via google searches parallels DSLR sales steady decline.

Numbers according to CIPA:

16,860,535 -- 2012 DSLR production

7,580,720 -- 2017 DSLR shipments

Chris

p.s. the "Sony overheating" search was hilarious. Genius.

Screen Shot 2018-08-11 at 7.35.22 AM.png

I don’t know, I think it’s all a stretch. It’s akin to finding a code in the Bible. If you search for it, you will find something that supports a predetermined conclusion or argument.

If you look at the graph you supplied, DSLR searches remained fairly steady for years with occasional spikes in interest. It wasn’t until after the spike on Jan 22 2017 that there seemed to be a steady decline. 

One could argue that date represents the release of the GH5 and general consumers that were looking for a camera upgrade, searched DSLRs after hearing about the GH5... yes I know the GH5 is a mirrorless, but the average consumer might not know, nor care about, the difference.

Point is, it’s impossible to know search intent and unless you do, how can you gather any logical conclusion?

Don’t get me wrong, it’s fun fodder and interesting but hardly proof of a death sentence for DSLRs... even if there are other indicators. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Trek of Joy said:

Sigh.

I'm talking about the search results from the trends graphs and the premise of this thread which is "Google data shows HUGE decline of interest in Canon 5D series," IQ is irrelevant. 

Well I think there has been decline in 5D mk anything sales. Did You buy a new 5D mk IV? Did Anyone on here??  I sure as hell didn't! Everyone in the world bought a 5D mk II new or used. I think the 5D mk IV was not, and is not a great seller. Oh then there is the 6D mk II, no clue what Canon was thinking?

Canon color science to me is not even a needle mover anymore. Panasonic, Sony have pretty much copied it as close as you can legally get, and that just pretty much leaves DPAF as their only "great" thing for sales. And Sony is no slouch now with the A9 and the A7 mk III with AF.

And if Canon goes to another mount they will be at square one on that for lenses that are optimized for the body. I think Canon Needs to have a mirrorless that just uses their existing EF lenses. A Mirrorless body like the Sigma SD H is. No more new mount. Nikon, well I don't think they had a choice.

And like Mercer said, I think they are all pretty much screwed. Canon is not safe at all no matter what they do. All these company's probably made more money on P&S cameras than their bigger stuff. And that market is done, finished!

I live in a small college town and I can't even remember Anyone having a real camera but me in the last couple of years up here. Even the parents when they come use Smartphones. I have no clue who they think they are going to sell all these high end stuff to? It sure is not going to be young people. And  for people that Just use a camera for Photography, and hell probably 90% do, what is a mirrorless camera from Canon, Nikon  really going to bring to them shooting photos worth kind of starting over? Has there been anything other than say face detection, IBIS, anything worth talking about to take a Picture? And Smartphones already have that, even the DoF thingy.

Other than this big push for a 6K Cine Camera in a box, a small box, for 500 dollars we want I think the whole camera industry is wasting their time. It is over for them. This is 2018. Cameras Are pretty much irrelevant, all of them in any real quantity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Trek of Joy said:

Search trends don't equal sales

Screen Shot 2018-08-10 at 9.13.26 AM.png

Here's a tip.

You have to think carefully about which search terms to compare. A general brand name is not the same as an individual camera model name, so comparing them is meaningless. "Leica" vs "D850" is totally meaningless.

Think carefully about comparing apples to apples.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, webrunner5 said:

I pity all these manufacturers. We seem to Demand some amazing breakthrough every 6 months and a better camera every 3 months LoL. I just don't see how all of them are going to make a buck.

Yup, this is your most salient point, in my opinion. The manufacturers rely on the deep interest and pockets of enthusiasts and hobbyists to force unnecessary tech advancements down our throats and our wallets. Prosumers seem to pay the most for any advancement in the camera industry. And very little of these advancements actually filter down to the consumer models.

I know Canon gets a lot of heat around here, but take a look at Panasonic. They have a high bitrate 1080p in the GH4 and GH5 but it  never trickles down into their consumer models. Yet the same 100 mbps 4K has been floating around for 3-4 years. Sony has had the same 50mbps X-AVC 1080p and 100mbps 4K for 3-4 years. So it seems that the overall advancements in IQ have been fairly stagnant for nearly 5 years, yet there is zero funneling of even the modest of upgrades in lowly 1080p.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think in a sense Sony screwed themselves by making the A7 series bodies, even the A6000, to the A6500 so damn small. They overheat now, let alone if they had a Really good Codec in them. Probably what is holding up the A7s mk III.

Maybe Nikon will have hit the Sweet Spot? But I don't really want one much bigger. Sony ruined me LoL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Here's a tip.

You have to think carefully about which search terms to compare. A general brand name is not the same as an individual camera model name, so comparing them is meaningless. "Leica" vs "D850" is totally meaningless.

Think carefully about comparing apples to apples.

I threw Leica in there as a goof since I don't think its a reach to speculate Canon has sold more 5d's than every Leica body combined. Last year was a down year and they still moved close to 6,000,000 units, how many decades would it take for Leica to move 6m cameras?

It still doesn't change the fact that your basic premise makes no sense as you can't draw a direct correlation between google trends and anything other than a decrease in searches for 5d's. There's zero cause and effect.

The decline in DSLR sales mirroring search trends is a more direct correlation, sales are slumping, hence less interest overall. But the 'sky is falling' Canon narrative here probably gets more clicks despite actual facts showing the contrary.

Chris

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

I think in a sense Sony screwed themselves by making the A7 series bodies, even the A6000, to the A6500 so damn small. They overheat now, let alone if they had a Really good Codec in them. Probably what is holding up the A7s mk III.

Maybe Nikon will have hit the Sweet Spot? But I don't really want one much bigger. Sony ruined me LoL.

Primarily the Sony A7 series are (and were designed as) stills orientated cameras with video capability so small size suits many people and overheating is not a problem for all users. I also think the Sony design brief was to design the smallest body that would accommodate a full frame sensor and this they did very well. Besides a nice cage soon sorts out the size problem - love the Smallrig on my A7rII.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah but Cameras, Lenses, Printers, Copiers, Medical Equipment are most of Canon's business. Hell all of them are a thing of the past other than the Medical stuff! I think they are in deep shit down the road.

10 minutes ago, Shirozina said:

Primarily the Sony A7 series are (and were designed as) stills orientated cameras with video capability so small size suits many people and overheating is not a problem for all users. I also think the Sony design brief was to design the smallest body that would accommodate a full frame sensor and this they did very well. Besides a nice cage soon sorts out the size problem - love the Smallrig on my A7rII.

Yeah I agree the design was mostly to showcase how good Japanese engineering is to be able to make a FF camera that small also. They have always prided themselves on miniaturization.

And yeah I don't think ANYONE dreamed consumer video was going to take off like it has.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Camera divisions are all just divisions of larger companies. Panasonic and Sony are more diverse but Canon, Ricoh and Olympus are still diversified enough to lose their camera divisions and survive as a company... Nikon... I don’t know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...