In need of some recommendations.

DanielVranic

2 hours ago, DanielVranic said:

Man, I wish I could. I unfortunately just can't make that $$ jump currently, and I have gig's piling up.

Luckily for you, the a7 III is sold out for at least the next three months :)

Again, if you have a stabilizer and a monitor (I think you said you do), then the a6300 might work. Stabilized lenses help with rolling shutter.

Oh... almost forgot... meditation. If shooting handheld, meditation helps with rolling shutter, too.

SIDE NOTE: I have been shooting stills with my a6500 for a long time now, and the other day I was trying to shoot with my D750. Now, a lot of people say the touch screen on the a6500 isn't worth it since it isn't all that accurate, is a bit laggy, and you can't swipe through menus with it. But I will tell you, after using a camera with a touch screen, you shure don't want to go back to one without (like my D750).

It's kind of like the tilty screens in general. Once you get used to a tilty screen you never want to go back to a flat screen.

So with stabilized lenses and a gimbal = a6300

Non-stabilized lenses but with a gimbal = a6500 or a6300

Non-stabilized lenses and no gimbal = a6500

Or get an original a7s.

Also, be sure to get EOSHD procolor no matter what you do if you get an a6300 / a6500

Final tip: I found (for my tastes) 1080p on the a6300 / a6500 is usable with very shallow DOF. Otherwise, it is aliasing city.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
2 hours ago, Mark Romero 2 said:

Luckily for you, the a7 III is sold out for at least the next three months :)

Again, if you have a stabilizer and a monitor (I think you said you do), then the a6300 might work. Stabilized lenses help with rolling shutter.

Oh... almost forgot... meditation. If shooting handheld, meditation helps with rolling shutter, too.

SIDE NOTE: I have been shooting stills with my a6500 for a long time now, and the other day I was trying to shoot with my D750. Now, a lot of people say the touch screen on the a6500 isn't worth it since it isn't all that accurate, is a bit laggy, and you can't swipe through menus with it. But I will tell you, after using a camera with a touch screen, you shure don't want to go back to one without (like my D750).

It's kind of like the tilty screens in general. Once you get used to a tilty screen you never want to go back to a flat screen.

So with stabilized lenses and a gimbal = a6300

Non-stabilized lenses but with a gimbal = a6500 or a6300

Non-stabilized lenses and no gimbal = a6500

Or get an original a7s.

Also, be sure to get EOSHD procolor no matter what you do if you get an a6300 / a6500

Final tip: I found (for my tastes) 1080p on the a6300 / a6500 is usable with very shallow DOF. Otherwise, it is aliasing city.

but 4k on the 6300/6500 is no aliasing?

14 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

You don't want a GH4 in this day and age. Not so hot in low light. Bu you can do worse. People seemed to be able to make them work and still do LoL.

Still a hell of a lot better than say a Panasonic GH1, and I've done just fine with that with many many shoots in the past. 

14 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

A BMPCC was even worse Low light wise and they work.

Still better than most RED cameras of that era. 

People need to see the context of when it was and that is was a cinema camera. 

12 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Still better than most RED cameras of that era. 

People need to see the context of when it was and that is was a cinema camera. 

Very true, but most people that bought a Red 1 had money to buy decent lighting gear, or already had it. I doubt hardly anyone uses high dollar lights with a BMPCC on average. But I see your point. Ir was, and still is a great camera for peanuts. Not counting a great learning to grade and edit with.

I think this new 4K one is just going to be a dream come true for peanuts also. With a Speedbooster on that thing it will be a poor mans Cine Camera.

20 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

Very true, but most people that bought a Red 1 had money to buy decent lighting gear, or already had it.

I've worked on two feature films now which had pretty non-existent lighting gear but was shot with a RED ONE. (even a RED ONE M!! :-o )

Also when the BMPCC came out there was Scarlet and Epic out as well, this was quite a while after the RED ONE launch.