Best GH5 zoom lens for filming

Rootch

Hello,

I’m thinking about buying the Panasonic GH5 and will mainly use it for filming skateboard and snowboard movies.

I’m used to the handhelds Panasonic AG-AC130 and Panasonic AG-UX180.

They have 22x and 20x zoom which can be used with the built in zoom rocker. The more you push it down, the faster it zooms. So I can vary while filming. That’s very helpful to get dynamic sport shots which I use alot.

When I switch to a dslr like the GH5 I have to change my filming style cause of this missing zoom rocker.

Now to my question: Which of  the following lenses would be better for zooming while filming? Or do you have any other recommendation?

Canon EF-S 18-135mm 1:3,5-5,6 IS USM + Canon Power Zoom-Adapter PZ E1 (two different zoom speeds)

or

Panasonic H-PS45175E LUMIX G X Vario Tele Powerzoom 45-175 mm F4.0-5.6 ASPH

I'll buy the Metabones Canon EF Lens to Micro Four Thirds T Speed Booster XL anyway so I could use the Canon EF-S lens if I make a little adjustment on the lens as seen on YouTube.

Big thanks for any help!

Rootch

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members

I think you'll be disappointed with the AF performance of the Canon with the metabones.

With regard to the Lumix lens, its not going to get wide enough I wouldn't imagine for what you're after.

If you're looking for the facilities that you are used to from the camcorder but in a handheld form factor then I'd recommend you have a look at something like the FZ2000/2500.

Its a 1" sensor so its the same as the UX180, in built NDs, 20x zoom (with external LANC controller for the zoom if you need it too), VLOG if you want it, 5 axis OIS etc.

Where it falls down for you might be the lack of higher frame rates at 4K (though it does 120 in 1080).

The GH5 is a very, very nice camera indeed but as an overall package with the lenses you've listed based on what you are doing and how you are used to working, I think you might find it gets a bit unwieldly juggling it.

• Super Members

In ETC mode you'd just about get away with it with a small crop.

If the OP wanted servo zoom as he's described though, he'd have to go for old B4 ENG lenses with an outboard 12V supply to drive it.

You'd have to be quite mad to do something like that though.

Like this weirdo attaching an Angenieux ENG lens to his GX80 and lashing a Sony battery to it.

Oh hang on.....

Thats mine

5af36aac66acc_AngeniuexB4(1).thumb.jpg.7fe7762b2e77e6d46578c84ad82ac9ea.jpg

7 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

In ETC mode you'd just about get away with it with a small crop.

If the OP wanted servo zoom as he's described though, he'd have to go for old B4 ENG lenses with an outboard 12V supply to drive it.

You'd have to be quite mad to do something like that though.

Like this weirdo attaching an Angenieux ENG lens to his GX80 and lashing a Sony battery to it.

Oh hang on.....

Thats mine

5af36aac66acc_AngeniuexB4(1).thumb.jpg.7fe7762b2e77e6d46578c84ad82ac9ea.jpg

You.Are.Unlimited!

You should have a disclaimer on those "Do not try this at home", or something, people can get hurt!

• Super Members
7 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

You.Are.Unlimited!

You should have a disclaimer on those "Do not try this at home", or something, people can get hurt!

Its for the LS300 really but I thought "Micro 4/3 mount....might as well have a go on the GX80 as well"

Just now, BTM_Pix said:

Its for the LS300 really but I thought "Micro 4/3 mount....might as well have a go on the GX80 as well"

Oh, really? I never explored that idea with the JVC LS300, we almost do not use it anymore in the company (so many GH5, I step on them!).

You manually crop the sensor and it is ok? Pros/Cons?

I have missed those old B4 lenses, very comfortable to work with, a parfocal lens with a servo motor is my next quest (Canon 18-80 probably, but with what camera?!).

• Super Members
3 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

Oh, really? I never explored that idea with the JVC LS300, we almost do not use it anymore in the company (so many GH5, I step on them!).

You manually crop the sensor and it is ok? Pros/Cons?

I have missed those old B4 lenses, very comfortable to work with, a parfocal lens with a servo motor is my next quest (Canon 18-80 probably, but with what camera?!).

Oddly enough, I've just posted a new thread about the LS300. 

Very intrigued why a major UK dealer is making a new promo film about them !

It has a doubler in it so its a choice of using that and losing some light or use the VSM on the LS300 to alter the image size.

In HD, the extra reach from the prime zoom goes to the rocker of the LS300 so you have huge zoom on the lens and then you can carry on with the internal zoom!

It makes the camera pretty long so if you haven't got it on a tripod and use a shoulder mount then you have to use an additional EVF mounted quite far forward. Which, considering how bad the EVF is on the LS300, is pretty much a given anyway.

At the end of the day, I'm going to say its probably the best 15x par focal servo zoom with a constant f1.7 aperture in M4/3 mount for circa £250 on the market at the moment ;)