Nostalgia Cameras

fuzzynormal

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
13 hours ago, fuzzynormal said:

r technology, (I guess we're entering the phase wherein old gear gets us misty eyed) I submit a quick video I shot 9 years ago on a XH-A1.  Anyone else have stuff from a decade

Loving the aesthetic here. XH-A1 was my dream camera back in the day - though I never got to actually use it before it had become obsolete.

This is a feature film I shot with an HV30 back in 2009 with a bunch of my friends. It still remains one of my favourites - I pulled every trick in the book to make that camera look filmic on an absolute zero budget. Our dolly was a skateboard on a wooden plank that we dragged around the woods, but I still look upon the the film with extreme fondness.

4 hours ago, Ehetyz said:

Something to be said about projects where one's making the most with the least.  There ends up being a certain mojo to it and we remember that stuff.  Sometimes for better, sometimes for worse!  But those films got a energy to 'em.  For me, my thought process was always, "well, it's only going to look half way decent no matter what we do, so let's not worry too much about the camera and just have fun getting the shots as best we can."  It was sort of liberating in a way. 

I've shown this before here, but it's a good example of just saying, "screw it, let's just make the damn movie."  Shot in 2008 on an XH-A1; not that it matters as we abused and tortured all the shots in post:

Was anyone here shooting stuff with a DOF adapter and a cheap video camera around this time?  I find films with those adapters intriguing.

7 minutes ago, fuzzynormal said:

Something to be said about projects where one's making the most with the least.  There ends up being a certain mojo to it and we remember that stuff.  Sometimes for better, sometimes for worse!  But those films got a energy to 'em.  For me, my thought process was always, "well, it's only going to look half way decent no matter what we do, so let's not worry too much about the camera and just have fun getting the shots as best we can."  It was sort of liberating in a way. 

I've shown this before here, but it's a good example of just saying, "screw it, let's just make the damn movie."  Shot in 2008 on an XH-A1; not that it matters as we abused and tortured all the shots in post:

Was anyone here shooting stuff with a DOF adapter and a cheap video camera around this time?  I find films with those adapters intriguing.

a DOF adapter cost more than the camera!

Sony TRV95 DV 3-chip camcorder - picked up on a flea market for $20 and shot a video with it just for the fun and challenge:

The camcorder turned out to have some issues with deadjusted tape heads, resulting in drop-outs (that you can hear) and glitches. Nevertheless, the built-in stabilizer of the camera worked amazingly well (everything was shot handheld with a small chestpod!), and the autofocus is well-designed for video (with slow focus transitions). And the compact all-in-one handling, fast-aperture parfocal zoom and good grip makes you realize that we didn't just gain better technology since the DSLR revolution, but also lost a few good features in its course.

Work process: Grabbed the footage on an old PC with Firewire, edited it and color-graded it in Resolve using deinterlacing, Neat Video, 1080p upscaling + FilmConvert grain to mask the upscaling and denoising.

37 minutes ago, cantsin said:

Sony TRV95 DV 3-chip camcorder - picked up on a flea market for $20

Regardless, your video has a timelessness to it.  1965 or 2015, who knows or cares?  (and Ornette Coleman?  cool)  Looks awesome as it really doesn't feel like video or film, but something in between.