When there is light after all ...

Clovis

Concerning the Panasonic GH5s, they speak in terms of "master of darkness", "low light monster" and what not.

But what are its credentials when there is light ?

Test films of the GH5 can be found that look pleasing, even cinematic.

Not so for the GH5s, up to now. Most test films look ... eh ... overcontrasted, video-ish, harsh.

This is a call to dial back to -5 those NR, sharpness numbers and film in broad daylight.

So, can the GH5s also deliver "cinematic" footage ?

It would help me in a great way to see this answered, when choosing between the GH5 and the GH5s. Thanks.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I think the main thing you have to ask yourself what am I going to be doing with 90% of my time shooting with either camera. IF you are not going to use it on a tripod or on a Gimbal most of the time I see no real reason to buy a GH5s, unless you already have a GH5. I am a tripod shooter, so a GH5s would work for me.

And I would not call a GH5, or a GH5s a very Cinematic looking camera to be honest. No more than a Sony A6500, or a Sony A7r mk III is. To me it has to almost shoot Raw for me to call a camera Really Cine or Filmic looking, especially in 4k. Even a 10 bit camera I don't think is "thick" enough for a film look.

Imagine if it were the other way around and the GH5S had been released first and the GH5 was now being released for less money and included 6K, IBIS, 1.4x 4k crop mode, less processed looking image etc.  I think there would be a lot more people cueing up to purchase the GH5 and there is to purchase the GH5S - if their release dates were reversed.

Once the GH5s comes down in price to match its comparative value (both the GH5 and GH5S are worth $1500-$1700 IMHO) then they will sell a lot more.

Panasonic should have come out with the GH5 II with better slow-motion, better AF and better in camera noise reduction based on the GH5S processing.  Maybe it's the sensor that make things look like contrasty plastic rather than the aggressive NR.

But, but ...

I know one or two things about getting a cinematic look out of these hybrids.

It's just almost everyone filming with the GH5s in the dark. Ok if that is great, but there is more.

I wonder what can be drawn out of it when using a good cinelens combined with a speedbooster and those values set to -5.

That video from Wex Photo Video filmed in Slovenia is about the only one up to now going a bit in that direction.

5 hours ago, Clovis said:

But, but ...

I know one or two things about getting a cinematic look out of these hybrids.

It's just almost everyone filming with the GH5s in the dark. Ok if that is great, but there is more.

I wonder what can be drawn out of it when using a good cinelens combined with a speedbooster and those values set to -5.

That video from Wex Photo Video filmed in Slovenia is about the only one up to now going a bit in that direction.

Could you please post a link to the video.

If you always shoot at native ISO on the GH5, use LED lighting when it’s dark and don’t strap your camera to fast moving vehicles driving on bumpy roads, there is no need to buy the GH5s. If you already own the GH5, consistently shoot in low available light and don’t mind having to use a gimbal, rig or tripod, the GH5s is for you. The wider field of view in C4K on the GH5s is sweet, but hardly a justifiable reason to put your GH5 on craigslist. I don’t think just using a SB to capture more light with the GH5 is the same as having a low light monster because I prefer working with compact native primes or the Veydras.