Is the EOS-M *THE* Digital Super-8 Camera?

Matt James Smith ?

It's nice to have the EOSM to play with if I find myself missing my old BMPCC but mainly it's the Super-8 features that excite me. I can't find any noticeable advantage to the EOSM in 24/25p or 16:9 mode over my XC10 (which has C-Log and spits out 10bit 422 to a recorder) so it'll get used in 18fps 4:3 12bit mode with the Pentax 6mm f/1.2 c-mount that just arrived (haven't got an adapter yet though).

5 hours ago, IronFilm said:

I guess that means you could run CHDK on them?? Still no ML raw however. 

CHDK doesnt seem to have been figured out for the M5's processor yet

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
9 hours ago, byuri734 said:

Can one record 4:3 in "movie crop mode", something like 1370x1024... this would create a 4:3 image (like Super 8) and would help reduce file sizes and give you more time of 12-bit lossless? When you say recording time is drastically reduced with a "brightly lit scene," how many seconds you are taking about. Is it around 15 seconds at least? It could be interesting if so. Super 8 has a cartridge of around 3 minutes, I would rarely record more than 15 seconds per take, it was like shooting and editing at the same time, and that was really, really fun and of course less stressing than digital when doing the final editing, having to deal with hours and hours of long takes in post now!

You can record 1376x1030 (4:3) 12-bit lossless continuously on the EOS-M in Movie crop mode no problem (or 14-bit lossless though that may reintroduce focus pixels). In fact you can record any resolution and aspect ratio with magic lantern, the limit is the camera's write speed. You can go even go up to 1440x1078 with the 5x zoom function as mentioned in the first post here (that's different to Movie crop mode) - though I haven't tested that yet.

In terms of recording time with 1800x1024 12 bit-lossless, I'm getting between 10 seconds (very worst case) to 1 minute or so. Just tested it again and actually it seems that the amount of contrast in an image affects record times more than anything. If you want better record times in 12 bit, probably best to lower the res to 1792x1008 or so.

Also I've just started using another program to convert MLVs to cdng files which has a very nice interface and features: https://ilia3101.github.io/MLV-App/   it was suggested by this youtube user: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yXb2bt8l60

3 hours ago, Matt James Smith ? said:

It's nice to have the EOSM to play with if I find myself missing my old BMPCC but mainly it's the Super-8 features that excite me. I can't find any noticeable advantage to the EOSM in 24/25p or 16:9 mode over my XC10 (which has C-Log and spits out 10bit 422 to a recorder) so it'll get used in 18fps 4:3 12bit mode with the Pentax 6mm f/1.2 c-mount that just arrived (haven't got an adapter yet though).

CHDK doesnt seem to have been figured out for the M5's processor yet

I definitely miss my old BMPCC too. For sure the XC10 is much more ideal for normal HD filming than the EOS-M will ever be, but still the EOS-M isn't too bad for a camera that costs about £100. 

17 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

I will be able to post some experimentation with s8 lenses soon. Have a few in transit.

The two best S8 lenses ever built are the Schneider Optivaron 6-66mm/f1.8 and the Schneider Macro-Cinegon 10mm/f1.8, both with Leica M mount for the Leicina Special camera. Their optical and mechanical quality is much better than the CCTV c-mount lenses one would normally use. 

21 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

No but double 8. 

Yeah, but the problem is that they're all with d-mount which you can currently only adapt to the Pentax Q. (Here's a shoot-out of d-mount lenses made with the Pentax Q that I did a few years back for the (no-longer existing) German Schmalfilm magazine: http://www.filmkorn.org/d-mount-objektive-im-vergleich/

You can get a 3D printed d-mount-to-MFT adapter from Shapeways, but its plastic is so thin, fragile and wobbly that one cannot really use it in production. And since a few weeks, Fotodiox offers a d-mount-to-c-mount screw-in adapter. I bought and tested it, but unfortunately it's worthless because it doesn't recess the lens to correct flange focal distance - so your d-mount lenses can only be used as macro lenses.

Would be curious to hear if you found a different solution.

(Postscript: And the Kern c-mount lenses for the Bolex H8 have a non-standard focal flange distance, so they don't work on standard c-mount adapters either.)

10 hours ago, cantsin said:

The two best S8 lenses ever built are the Schneider Optivaron 6-66mm/f1.8 and the Schneider Macro-Cinegon 10mm/f1.8, both with Leica M mount for the Leicina Special camera. Their optical and mechanical quality is much better than the CCTV c-mount lenses one would normally use. 

Do you have any experience with the Pentax 8-48mm?

1 hour ago, byuri734 said:

Do you have any experience with the Pentax 8-48mm?

Yes. It's a cctv lens, and because of its barrel, it doesn't fit most c-mount adapters. I have a modified version of the lens with a glued-on MFT adapter.

Optically, it's not a great lens. It's not parfocal either (unlike the Schneider 6-66mm). It's completely optimized for bright pictures and compact size, but neither very sharp, nor very well corrected.

7 hours ago, Matt Kieley said:

I bought a Schneider 6-66mm for my EOS M, but it vignettes too much in the 3x movie crop mode, and I have no desire to shoot in raw, so if anyone here wants the lens, pm me.

Is the crop 3x the same as 1:1 Raw?

I got a Schneider 12.5-75mm CCTV lens for basically nothing. It seems the same lens made for several brands: Toya, Canon, etc. It is very light and compact. Anyone has some experience with this one? I am still waiting my EOS M to arrive from Japan. This guy seems to like the lens:

On 2/1/2018 at 7:05 AM, cantsin said:

Yes, the Angenieux is parfocal and not as good as the Schneider. :grin: (But it's much more compact and lightweight.)

Does the Angenieux vignette as much as the Schneider in the 3x movie crop mode? It seems like the only way I can use the Schneider is if I crop to 4:3 or shoot in a more cropped-in raw mode, so I'm wondering if the Angenieux is the same story. I'm not opposed to ever shooting in 4:3, but I'd like to be able to shoot in 16:9 too.

• Super Members

Im still waiting on my D-Mount adapter. I did however receive my Kern lenses.
It amazes me that its the same build, fit and finish as on the 16mm versions. The little aperture indicators are just awesome.
And just like the 16mm lenses they are a steal by buying a busted up camera with the lenses included from a flee market or the backroom of eBay.

Meanwhile Im playing with the "s8 ascetics" on the Q with the native glass. This is the nr06 zoom.