NX1 moving to GH5

keessie65

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I have used the GH5 a few times professionally (major TV networks), I prefer the NX1 in every way (battery, ergonomics, menu system).

There is an interesting time lapse feature though, and especially 10bit are good for some specific pro jobs. I didn't edit the footage but my impression is that there is a lot more noise than NX in low ISO, and the oxymoron here, but in high bitrate files, higher ISO seem more organic, 3200 is usable, while in NX is not, but in no way is a low light camera, I would take C100mkII anytime for high ISO.

I shoot with GH5's every day at work while all of my personal and side projects are shot on the NX1 and NX500. 

Obviously the 4k 60p on the GH5 is fantastic. And I quite like V-Log as well, it's far easier to grade than Sony's log profiles, and nicely preserves the dynamic range without destroying colors. I haven't really shot/graded 10-bit footage that much, as it is just overkill for the kind of work I have been doing, and the 8-bit is fine. I like how big the EVF is, and how you can switch between viewfinder and LCD screen easily while recording. There are lots of great and easily re-mappable function buttons, and you can program and save shooting modes in the custom profiles dial much easier and more effectively than you can on the NX cameras, which don't even save the video data at all. Of course, you can also move the zoomed-in focus checking area, unlike NX, and the tilty/flippy screen is preferable to the tilt-only screen. And you can't forget about the IBIS, which is just fantastic for handheld shooting, truly a game-changer for my kind of work, I need a monopod for my NX1 at all times. 

That being said...

I far prefer the NX cameras' photo/video implementation; it is still the simplest, best camera I have ever used for switching quickly between stills and video. No specific mode dials needed. Tap the shutter button to take a picture, hit the record button to record. The NX1 seems to have quite a bit better battery life than the GH5 in my experience as well. It is also lighter and feels better in the hands- the NX1 is an insanely comfortable camera, in the fact still the best I have ever used ergonomically, while the GH5 is surprisingly heavy and a bit bulky. The GH5 also has this very annoying tendency to hesitate for just a split-second or two when you hit the record button, which doesn't sound like a big deal, but it hesitates just long enough that I have double-pumped many, many times, while the NX seems immediately responsive. I do prefer the the menu system on the NX cameras as well. 

As far as out-and-out IQ comparison, I have one of Luca's speedboosters on my NX1 pretty much all the time, so I have actually gotten quite used to the full frame look, especially DOF-wise, so it almost feels limiting sometimes to only have a super-35 equivalent with a Speedbooster on the GH5. Color-science wise, I can't say I prefer the one over the other - - in good light, I think both cameras look fantastic, with great skin tones and malleable colors -- basically you'll be able to get the look you're going for in post with either camera. The autofocus on the NX cameras is far, far better than the GH5, if that's important to you. And the NX1's internal 6.5k to 4k downscale is still unbeaten, detail-wise. The image is always just unbelievably sharp and detailed. The GH5 doesn't quite match that. And while the low-light and noise on the GH5 is probably preferable (clean at 1600, useable at 3200) I rarely, if ever, need these ISOs anyway, especially with the speedbooster and some fast glass to boot. 

Of course, I'm not mentioning stills quality at all, I haven't shot many stills on the GH5, but obviously the NX is going to win that competition hands-down, it is still, even several years later, one of the best APS-C sensors ever made, with insanely good dynamic range, especially when pulling shadows. 

So, bottom line, should you switch?

I think that depends. If you're pure run-and-gun, then yes, the IBIS (and the 4k 60p, if you need high-res slo-mo, with the benefit of a good log profile) is a pretty unbeatable combo for video right now. Throw in the 10-bit, and it's future-proofed for quite some time. The low-light IQ is more than enough. I think the GH5 is easily the best bang-for-the-buck camera around right now, and will remain so for quite some time. But if you're already invested in the NX system, which has its own fantastic native lenses (16-50S, wow), IQ wise I really don't think you're gaining that much. Not enough to go through the hassle of trying to sell and offload all my Samsung gear. I quite enjoy the GH5. But I still love shooting with my NX cameras, and don't feel like I'm losing out of for most of the kind of work that I do.

So take that as you will. :) 

wow @Parker you helped me a lot with your answer. Thank you!

The sharpness is very good of the NX1 and also I like the body, menu etc very well. But I did not know how the GH5 is compared to the NX1, whit your answer I do now. I also have the 16-50s lens and also the NXL speedbooster. I mostly have an anamorphic set mounted for filming and only for professional use, I shoot some photos. ... I think I will keep the NX1, there is no need to step up (or down) to the GH5 at this moment.

Thanks again!

As far as I know, the NX1 is the only camera south of the Canon Cinema line to have dual pixel autofocus. For anyone on a gimbal, this is a gargantuan feature that can’t be overlooked. I pick up other cameras and forget that I have to control focus, simply because I run around with my NX1 on a Ronin every day and never even touch focus. I’ll second that the battery life is very good, and add that powering/charging over USB is extremely handy. Not only can I charge three batteries at a time (internal/grip/external charger), but I can power the camera off of my Ronin M with a simple little jumper cable. The one thing it is not is a low light camera, but then compared to a Sony, most other cameras aren’t. I plan to pick up Luca’s NX-L soon to help with this, and to get that full frame look when called for. Truth be told, I am considering retiring my NX1, and getting another NX1 just because I’ve used this one so much. For the price, it’s an extremely powerful tool that can pull its weight in almost any situation, and having two for multi cam shoots will be useable far into the future, even if I do switch to something else for an A-cam. I’ve been waiting for dual pixel AF to show it’s face on another DSLR in order to switch, but I suspect I may wait a fair while longer still. I know I’ve not been compelled to switch just yet.

@Caleb Genheimer

I agree with all you said, I do find the NX AF more reliable for video, in my experience on a gimbal NX has better percentage than a 6300, NX AF is on the sensor, but not a Canon dual pixel, per se, technology, only on mobile phones Samsung has exactly the same technology as the Canon. Canon has the most reliable AF for video in my opinion, just not a pro mirrorless camera, like the NX1 is. Sony does not have a APS-C pro mirrorless camera either. I do have 2 NX1, 1 NX500 and 1 NX3000 (just for kicks!), and I do implement them all on live/show recordings.

@Parker

Very detailed and great description of things. I didn't mention IBIS, because it is a blessing and a curse the same time. People have completely replaced their mono/tri-pods with IBIS, which ISN'T a mono/tripod in anyway, and can't replicate a real gimbal. The last few productions we did with the GH5, we used ZERO mono/tri-pod, in my opinion, that resulted in some so-so results. Tripod shots, are tripod shots, you need a tripod. I use mainly tripods for most of my personal work anyway and all this hand held stuff ain't my cup of tea. Of course it is something that NX misses, and our next cameras, definitely will have this feature, so that is a + for GH5.

I personally prefer the NX1 type of display, I prefer having my monitor in the center of my subject and just raise my head to check my subject, and back down (or up) to my monitor, also, the side ways screen of GH5 covers some of the I/O ports(! yep, designer's fault here), also you can't damage the screen, in NX's way.

Except the "hesitation" you descripted, we have different issues among the GH5s I have used, in one we couldn't stop rec some times, another one didn't turn on and off easily and some other erratic behavior, all of them corrected with battery off camera/on camera, but it was a thing or two to get stressed when working on important jobs with famous presenters/people.

I do not like the full frame look, but I have a lot of legacy lenses that I would like to use with the NX on a wider focal length than the X1.54 of NX, but most of my lenses are FD, that would be very difficult to adapt with Lucas adapter I guess. The other aspect of it, is the additional light it offers, that would be great to ease some of the NX deficiencies. Is the NX-L adapter still in production I am wondering?

All in all, like I skip GH4 (and I used that camera a lot, just not MY camera!), I think I will skip this one too. Maybe next Fuji will be it, or maybe the first Nikon mirrorless will be the s@#*t! (Nikon mirrorless, having a crop mode, could be just amazing, but I guess, with an unbelievable price tag stick to it as well). In the end, I would much rather prefer a dedicated video camera to up my game, as NX would be perfect for low budget jobs for the foreseeable future, maybe a C100mkIII, or a FS5mkII, or a JVC LS300mkII will be perfect for what I do (something that C200, FS5 and LS300 ain't).

If Sony whips up a full frame 4K 60p DPAF camera and throws in that electronic ND filter for good measure, I’ll buy it . . . price tag and color science be damned. 

Barring that, I’m looking for the next MF Fuji to do 4K, or to just bite my tongue and run around with a Canon Cinema camera. (I’m no fan of Canon’s approach to their pricing/lineup/feature set, but a tool is a tool and DPAF is hard to ignore when nobody else has it.) 

I don’t know why, but I prefer cameras that are a little off to the side of what most people consider the norm. I was a GH2 shooter way back when Canon DSLRs were the flavor of the year, and stuck with that until switching to the NX1, and the other camera I was considering at that juncture was the Fuji. 

Truth be told, all else being equal, I would argue that Fuji’s color blows everything else out of the water, south of RAW cameras (Arri/Red/Blackmagic). Canon’s colors are okay, but seen so often that the look is worn out. The NX1’s color is decent too, great even once you know how to reign it in, but it tends a bit too punchy and overstated for my tastes. It can have a way of (for lack of a better description), simplifying colors. Red is just red. Green is green. Colors tend to look primary, and complex shades sometimes feel lost or overpowered. For many shoots, this works great and is no issue. Also, it correctly handles skin tones right out of the box. I’m talking video of course, the photo side shooting RAW is very pleasing and malleable in post.