Canon C200 or 1DX mkII for 4K 60fps

Dave Maze

6 hours ago, mercer said:

Did you shoot and process any Raw from the C200? I’m thinking about renting one in the summer for a short film. 

No I haven’t tested raw yet. I’m not that interested in it unless I’m directing a bigger budget thing. But if it’s bigger budget, I’ll just rent Arri anyways lol

• 6 months later...
EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Interesting looking back on this thread. In retrospect, now that I have had some time to play with the C200, I think it is a great camera. The hardware concerns were largely not warranted. However, there is no getting around the fact that the files are large. But the GH5S also produces large files. Granted half the size, but nonetheless large. 

The C200 and 1DXMK2 match easily in post. The GH5S is not so easy to match with either camera. All three are great and imo have decent motion cadence. I rank them as follows:

1. Canon C200

2. Canon 1DXMk2

3. GH5S 

But in terms of flexibility in post the Canon C200 has an edge with the GH5S taking second. For baked in colors the 1DXMK2 is first.

I prefer the Canon images. I shot all three side by side, in a test that I admittedly screwed up. I had the C200 set at ISO 6400 with NDs enabled and forgot to change it back to 200 for this test. But that  only added a little noise. And the image was still perfectly usable. Overall, and I know this is subjective... I feel the C200 produced a better image with better colors. 

• 11 months later...
On 6/3/2018 at 5:09 PM, DaveAltizer said:

One thing that I wish the canon cinema series had that stills cameras have is Auto ISO. I know it’s not a “pro” feature but it’s so usable for run and fun shooting. Wish the C100/200/300 had that. 

Dave, did you change to upgrade to 1dxii? It’s been almost a year since the last thread. Thoughts? Would you recommend it or any other camera for 4k60?

thanks

On 5/7/2019 at 10:54 AM, RomanLytvyn said:

Dave, did you change to upgrade to 1dxii? It’s been almost a year since the last thread. Thoughts? Would you recommend it or any other camera for 4k60?

thanks

Nope...never got around to it. For the last year I have just been bouncing around based on what is new and trending for gear reviews. Im tired of bouncing around all the time and ready to stick to a system I will use for a while.

Currently...the EOS R is in my bag along with the GH5. I recently re purchased the 1DC...but will probably just hold onto it for sentimental reasons now. Only paid $1700 for it. Its a great camera as a backup or something and I greatly prefer the look of it to the GH5 or the EOS R still! 

I bought and sold the EM1X from Olympus. Really enjoyed that camera and may trade my GH5 for that....Its the perfect little run and gun camera (ironically even though its got a massive built in grip). The IBIS is insanity...the color science is wonderful...I love MFT for the tiny lenses. ITS JUST WAY OVERPRICED!!! So I sold it....and will maybe re purchase one when I can get a deal on it....

There are some rumors of two new Olympus bodies coming out this year. Hopefully one of them will either be an EM5 mkiii or EM1 mkiii. Both of which should have the same improvements the EM1X had. Better more reliable phase detect AF for video....and the mode1 for stabilization correcting the wobble effect of the ibis. mode1 on the EM1X was incredible. Really makes using only the IBIS even for a wide angle lens possible. 

In 2020 we will see a 1DX mkiii and I will certainly buy one of those as I know it will hold its value for several years and it will be the most advanced Canon hybrid for a while. IDK. Canon makes me angry. 

I do luv that 1DC look. I can't risk buying a used one with a hot pixel issue! Spending $1700 - $2500 for a used Canon 1DC, and if you get unlucky with the hot pixel, you're stuck with it.

I think I'm going to buy the Nikon D850 with an extended warranty. I think I'll be happy with that camera.      

33 minutes ago, Dogtown said:

I do luv that 1DC look. I can't risk buying a used one with a hot pixel issue! Spending $1700 - $2500 for a used Canon 1DC, and if you get unlucky with the hot pixel, you're stuck with it.

I think I'm going to buy the Nikon D850 with an extended warranty. I think I'll be happy with that camera.      

Agreed. I was so close to pulling the trigger on a 1DC. I love the camera, it creates beautiful images, but there are definitely users who have had that hot pixel issue and I just don't want to risk the headaches of going through that without warranty. Not only that but the 1DC is still missing a lot of common video features despite being labeled a "cinema camera". If I didn't have a C200, I would probably consider one though, despite the flaws. Because I have the C200 I want to have a B-Cam that I can easily use with a  Glidecam / Ronin S that has good autofocus. I'm going to use 5D Mark IV until Canon releases the 1DX Mark III or the next "pro" Canon R Mirrorless body.