Anybody using Fujifilm cameras for pro video work?

Tim Sewell

Just now, Tim Sewell said:

@jonpais - I read you review and it was informative. As @meanwhile infers (and I can't find where he called you 'stupid' BTW) none of those shortcomings (and shortcomings they are) would be a deal breaker for me.

The waxy skin thing could be. After reading the PetaPixel article I went through my own (still limited) collection of Fuji shots looking for the phenomenon. I found some - but they would fall into the category of shooting conditions where I wouldn't expect pristine results from any digital, or film for that matter, camera. I've also trawled the internet for Fuji-related stuff since I dived in to this system a couple of months ago and I've got to say that, on average, the (stills) visual content I've seen has been more consistently superior than I've seen basing my searches on other camera platforms - although that could just be that because of the system's niche appeal and usual prices it mainly attracts more accomplished photographers. I can't say that I've seen enough video footage to reach any conclusions about skin in that - so I'll have to do some more research.

I was referring to @meanwhile calling the writer of the article over at PetaPixel an idiot.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Nice. I have to say that any waxy skin I saw in that I would attribute more to the use of a trowel in applying make up than anything in the camera - but maybe I wasn't looking closely enough. Some of the shots had a very filmic quality to my eyes. There's certainly nothing in that video that would put me off using the X-T2 for the kind of video work I would be going after.

4 minutes ago, Tim Sewell said:

Nice. I have to say that any waxy skin I saw in that I would attribute more to the use of a trowel in applying make up than anything in the camera - but maybe I wasn't looking closely enough. Some of the shots had a very filmic quality to my eyes. There's certainly nothing in that video that would put me off using the X-T2 for the kind of video work I would be going after.

Those were the good old days, when I used to lug around an iFootage Wild Bull T7 carbon fiber tripod and Benro Video Head (13.4 pounds) in the 90 degree heat. :) I love me some IBIS.

4 minutes ago, jonpais said:

Those were the good old days, when I used to lug around an iFootage Wild Bull T7 carbon fiber tripod and Benro Video Head (13.4 pounds) in the 90 degree heat. :) I love me some IBIS.

Yeah IBIS is pretty nice, especially with old, manual lenses, but after getting some Canon OIS glass, I don't really miss it. The IS Canon lenses are pretty damn steady. And when I am using a manual lens, a monopod with feet is usually enough. But yeah I get the appeal of  IBIS.

@mercer If I were shooting out in the country, a monopod would be enough for sure. I used to shoot almost exclusively on Book Street, and I still often shoot there. On weekends, it can be crazy busy. Kids running around unattended, clutzy people or people who just don't give a damn. I was afraid my whole setup would go crashing to the ground. If someone ran into the Wild Bull, they'd get a nice welt!

11 minutes ago, jonpais said:

@mercer If I were shooting out in the country, a monopod would be enough for sure. I used to shoot almost exclusively on Book Street, and I still often shoot there. On weekends, it can be crazy busy. Kids running around unattended, clutzy people or people who just don't give a damn. I was afraid my whole setup would go crashing to the ground. If someone ran into the Wild Bull, they'd get a nice welt!

That's pretty nice too. I've noticed you have started using some more muted colors with your more recent videos whereas your Fuji videos are very vibrant. I would love to see what your Fuji work would look like with your newer color work. 

That is always a concern with monopods but you learn to keep a foot on the feet and not leave it unattended. But then again I see the appeal with IBIS. This whole process is a never ending struggle with wants and needs, really. And in the end it doesn't matter... just grab a camera and shoot with it. Tell engaging and/or entertaining stories.

That is all. 

Just now, mercer said:

That's pretty nice too. I've noticed you have started using some more muted colors with your more recent videos whereas your Fuji videos are very vibrant. I would love to see what your Fuji work would look like with your newer color work. 

That is always a concern with monopods but you learn to keep a foot on the feet and not leave it unattended. But then again I see the appeal with IBIS. This whole process is a never ending struggle with wants and needs, really. And in the end it doesn't matter... just grab a camera and shoot with it. Tell engaging and/or entertaining stories.

Back then, I didn't even know what a white balance card was, I just eyeballed the Kelvin. And I don't believe I ever touched the files in post either, maybe a couple of my more recent videos. I should give it a whirl again one of these days. i wonder if I were buying Fuji for the first time today whether I'd get the X-T20 instead... 

@Tim Sewell I'm not sure if it's been answered already, but you asked about focusing aids during recording. I don't think you can magnify the image while recording, but the focus peaking works a treat, at least it did for me. Also, I plan on shooting some F-log in ProRes 1080p, but you'll probably have done some jobs with your Fuji by then. :) 

but you'll probably have done some jobs with your Fuji by then.

Heh - I wouldn't be too sure. I've ordered business cards and set up a Smugmug site and I have to dig out all my old weddings/events/portraiture/music stuff from 8 years ago and upload it. Then I have to get some marketing going - I'm not expecting to do any paid work until next year (and that will more likely be stills). I'll probably find a couple of kooky businesses (I live in Brighton - there are plenty of them) to do free promotional vids for... we'll see. Thing is, I'm limited to weekends initially as to do anything on a weekday it has to pay a pretty large day rate to make it worth my while taking a day off from my main work - a calculation made necessary by my 3 children and the yuuuge mortgage I'm on the verge of taking out.

Hallo Tim,

I am a Austrian x-t2 User..my Englisch is not good - Sorry

The ideal combination is absolutly two x-t2

I have sold my C100 + 7D and many Lenses..and Chanced to Fuji. 

My change to Fuji I have in no way regret. Property still have an xc10 - this I will still sell and still buy an X-T2.

Unfortunately, my English is too bad for me to contribute here in this discussion better.

• Super Members
1 hour ago, jonpais said:

As far as I can tell, no custom white balance in video mode. Of course, no zebras either. Still a ways to go before I can take the Fuji seriously as a video camera. 

Set it in stills mode to one of the 3 custom ones and then you can select that one from the Q in video mode.

Daft that they couldn't make it follow through to the video mode for setting but it seems to be because it uses the shutter button.

You can go through all the motions exactly like when its in stills mode but then there is no way to set it when you have the square over an area you want as the shutter button does nothing!

Unless it uses another button to set but I can't see which one it would be and, of course, I can't possibly countenance reading the manual ;) 

• Super Members
10 minutes ago, jonpais said:

Thanks, @BTM_Pix, I'll give that a shot. Too bad they didn't assign that function to the menu/ok button like Panasonic, could have avoided that issue. 

Well according to FujiRumors, feature updates are largely driven by what Fuji read on their site so maybe we should register 200 fake accounts and ask for it.