GH5 10 bit running s-l-o-w!

tomsemiterrific

I shot some footage in the GH5 422 10 bit----in .mov. I thought since the clips were in the native Apple codec that grading would be a breeze. But man does it run slow. FCPX can't seem to handle it. Preemptively, let me say I have a 5k iMac that usually runs quite well. 

So, my question is how do you think I can make this 10 bit footage run smoothly on the iMac? I shoot 10 bit 422 and even 444 on the Canon C300 mk ii and I can't ever recall a problem. Weird. This has me a bit bamboozled? But I'm sure there's a simple solution to this.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
16 minutes ago, TSV said:

Nice software but why spending money on that when FCPx does the same when importing clips? (@tomsemiterrific explains that he use FCPx, no need to waste money)

Because it's excellent software and is 100% free for clips up to one minute.

2 hours ago, jonpais said:

Because it's excellent software and is 100% free for clips up to one minute.

Umm, again, why would you go to an outside program for proxies when you can do it natively now in most editors? 

14 minutes ago, Geoff CB said:

Umm, again, why would you go to an outside program for proxies when you can do it natively now in most editors? 

My bad. Just three days ago, I watched this video by Daniel Peters saying he was having trouble with clips in FCP X on his Mac and that Andrew had recommended Edit Ready. Apparently, unnecessary. Now he's saying proxies are the answer.

30 minutes ago, manueldomes said:

I will venture into proxy editing territory with the GH5 as well, from the looks of it...

Related question, though more concerning FCPX than the GH5 -- is there any advantage to creating optimized media when you will be editing proxy media anyway?

I am using proxies when I have massive projects with multicam clips. If you have plenty of room on your HD create both, do a rough cut using proxies and then switch to optimized for CC and final touches.

• Administrators
4 hours ago, tomsemiterrific said:

I shot some footage in the GH5 422 10 bit----in .mov. I thought since the clips were in the native Apple codec that grading would be a breeze. But man does it run slow. FCPX can't seem to handle it. Preemptively, let me say I have a 5k iMac that usually runs quite well. 

So, my question is how do you think I can make this 10 bit footage run smoothly on the iMac? I shoot 10 bit 422 and even 444 on the Canon C300 mk ii and I can't ever recall a problem. Weird. This has me a bit bamboozled? But I'm sure there's a simple solution to this.

The ALL-I 10bit codec coming in firmware update at 400Mbit/s should be easier on the CPU than the current more complex IPB 150Mbit codec.

In the mean time you will need to transcode using EditReady to ProRes. That's what I'm doing.

Thankfully it is FAST to process the files.

http://www.divergentmedia.com/editready

20 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

The ALL-I 10bit codec coming in firmware update at 400Mbit/s should be easier on the CPU than the current more complex IPB 150Mbit codec.

In the mean time you will need to transcode using EditReady to ProRes. That's what I'm doing.

Thankfully it is FAST to process the files.

http://www.divergentmedia.com/editready

@Andrew Reid I just purchased Editready.  But it doesn't seem to recognize the mp4 files from 6K photo mode.  Do you have any ideas?  Tips or settings that I need to set?  Or maybe the frame size is just too large for ProRes?  Thanks in advance!

• 11 months later...

when i was shooting 8-bit i would convert all my footage to prores and it gave me more range and was better for grading. When I try to do this (using the most up to date version of Apple's Compressor) with 10-bit footage, I get green noise throughout the whole clip. Is converting 10-bit 422 footage to prores not something i need/should do?

Shooting on GH5