Exposure drifting in manual NX1

JKTReed

Well I seem to have gotten the problem with exposure drifting / hunting on my NX1 when shooting in manual. Latest firmware, 1.4.1, ISO100-400, 1/50 at f 2.8 with the Samsung 16-50mm S lens. Auto-brightness on the display switched to off as well. This is only evident when I move the camera from a brightly lit scene to a darker one - it seems to flicker between exposure for a good 10 seconds. Anyone found a solution for this? Should I try to revert to firmware 1.2 where this problem seemed to be eliminated? Any idea where I can find that fw? 

Hoping for help..!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Do you have the SmartRange (or whatever is called) on or off?

Usually I do not do this kind of shooting, but a couple of weeks ago I had my NX500 doing some crazy stuff (as a B cam, I just brought it for backstage stills, but the DP told me to use it) and never seen anything weird (except the huge differences that had to adjust instantly most of my settings!)

I see a lot of people mention this "exposure drifting" in NX threads -- but other than auto screen brightness levels changing which confused me once -- I have never experienced this issue. Occasionally on either the NX1 or the NX500 I will get some kind of bug where my actual exposure is much darker than what the settings should provide, but a quick restart always fixes this, and it happens very rarely and has never ruined any footage, just a photo or two. I don't think it's the "smart range" thing that causes this either (Did we ever reach a consensus on what that actually does? A while back in the ideal NX settings thread I remember some user saw an increase in dynamic range with it turned on.) Anyway, if this issue really exists, it must be copy-to-copy, and neither of my cams (thankfully) suffer from it. 

Thank you for replying!

I'm on Auto WB, ISO in manual (100). However I did some tests yesterday that revealed something interesting: When using aperture priority I get the same flicker/drifting, the aperture shifts between 9 and 10 rapidly when focusing on the other side of the room (both AF and MF), unable to get a lock in a daylight-lit room. It drifts between + -1 stop which causes the flickering. However, by setting ISO to auto the flickering disappears. And the weird thing is that this happens even with the camera in manual with the f value at a constant 4. With Auto ISO off, it seems the aperture will compensate even though it's not supposed to.  

On another note, in video mode the exposure on the screen changes when i vary between a lit window and a darker couch, even with all settings on manual. SmartRange is turned off. 

Yes, here is one example I just uploaded to Vimeo

Settings are Manual, UHD, 1/50, f.2, ISO100, AWB, GammaDR w/ sharpness -10, MBL -4. SmartRange and Autobrightness off. You notice that when I pan away from the bright window to the wall, it begins to "hunt" for exposure. If I try the same in Aperture Priority, the f value switches rapidly between stops. If Auto ISO is on, nothing happens. Maybe this camera can't handle ISO100 and a full aperture in UHD?

Metering to center-weighted.

It is definitely there, sorry but I am not familiar with the issue. I hope you will find out something. Another thing is that you can press "STOP REC" and start again when you have moved to your next shot, as the situation is very bad for filming anyway, there is no way to have a manual useful scene with such huge dynamic differences.

4 minutes ago, Blah Blah said:

Haven't seen that happen, I would try everything in manual including SmartRange.

Thanks for your inputs! I wouldn't film like that in ordinary situations - this was pushing it to the limit to recreate the problem. However everything is in manual, including WB. My only way of safeguarding against it is AutoISO.