Special Family Project - Advice on Lenses

nagual

My recommendation is to consider longer focal lengths for what your going for.

I've been shooting with a canon fd 55mm f1.2 and a cheap speed booster.  It's not a pristine image/high contrast image, which is why I like it.

The longer focal length appeals to me, emulates some "filmlook" mojo, and looks more flattering for capturing portraits/people. 

Plus, it's very fast, even though I don't often shoot with it wide open. 

That glass combo is about $325. 

Getting used to going narrower on the field of view is a challenge, but the visual rewards are worth it, imho. 

This glass on my stabilized gx85 or em5ii has been a lot of fun to shoot handheld.

On the other hand, as mentioned, the Speedboosted Sigma 18-35mm Art F1.8 would give you one lens with more focal length options. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
9 hours ago, mercer said:

So just to clarify the OP's request... will you be filming your daughter's dancing primarily at recitals?

I think without a doubt you would want a zoom lens. Sure in most instances primes are better but for your purposes, I would only recommend a zoom. Since you would like some nice bokeh, you need either a fast zoom or an f/2.8 speedboosted.

For the filmic look you are after, I would certainly recommend one of three lenses...

1. Sigma 18-35mm with two adapters... the Metabones speedbooster and a Metabones electronic... this way you will double your zoom range with the one lens and depending upon where you are set up, you can choose the proper adapter accordingly.

2. Nikon Nikkor 28-70 f/2.8... the Bourne Lens... speedbooster and dummy adapter.

3. Tokina 28-70 f/2.6-2.8... Angenieux design... speedbooster and dummy adapter.

There are various other zooms that will work for your specified needs... the Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 with a speedbooster would be lovely. Vintage Nikkor zooms. Canon L FD or EF zooms speedboosted.

But honestly... if you are after a filmic look, I wouldn't get the GH5 and the native primes or zooms.

The GH5 is going to be an amazing camera and there will be amazing work produced with it and some of that work will look filmic, but it will take work to get there.

I personally believe you can acquire what you are looking for with a better suited camera to your needs. For instance, if you are really interested in the filmmaking aspect of the project, then I would recommend either a BMPCC or a BMMCC. 

If you are interested in a good looking video with good colors and ease of use with great AF, I would recommend either the Canon 5d Mk IV or a C100ii. The Sigma 18-35mm will work brilliantly with Canon's DPAF (dual pixel auto focus) and your footage will thank you in the long run.

This was shot by fellow forum member @Kubrickian with a Canon C100 mkii. Now he is a pro, but if I were in your shoes, with your budget, this is the route I would take.

@mercer I am also very tempted with the Sigma 18-35mm, how is the noise of the AF?, is it similar to the STM Canon line?

Tremendous respond from all participants in this thread. A lot to think about it. I need to digest all these and come up with solution. Though, I want to mention to clarify my needs for the project I am after not only nice footage but in a way "unusual" pictures, meaning, nice, clear, sharp photos will not do this time. Why bother with all these if iPhone can do the same thing In broad daylight, right? Please try to understand what I mean, I am not trying to be difficult or smart ass in any way. Rest assured I never assume that gear is all you need to get amazing results, either. Maybe GH5 is not the right tool for this project, danno, I have to start somewhere ...

55 minutes ago, nagual said:

Tremendous respond from all participants in this thread. A lot to think about it. I need to digest all these and come up with solution. Though, I want to mention to clarify my needs for the project I am after not only nice footage but in a way "unusual" pictures, meaning, nice, clear, sharp photos will not do this time. Why bother with all these if iPhone can do the same thing In broad daylight, right? Please try to understand what I mean, I am not trying to be difficult or smart ass in any way. Rest assured I never assume that gear is all you need to get amazing results, either. Maybe GH5 is not the right tool for this project, danno, I have to start somewhere ...

To be clear, I am not trying dissuade you from getting a GH5 and native lenses. One can do a lot with that camera, but the easiest look will be a little clinical. If you are a good colorist, you can make any camera look "filmic" or "cinematic."

If you're looking for an easier path to that, then get a BlackMagic Camera and shoot in Raw or ProRes.

If you're looking for great AF and nice skin tones go with a Canon. If you want 4K, go with a Mk iv. If you want a more cinematic look go with a C100 mkii.

Take a look at Kendy Ty's videos on Vimeo and see what he did with an old Canon DSLR...

The important thing is to do your research, know your abilities and know how much time you're willing to put into the final product. 

That is all... good luck!!!

1 hour ago, nagual said:

24 minutes ago, nagual said:

Nice, this is as close as I envision it, picture is removed, only action is left and important. Beside obvious skills, an old DSLR, lenses, stabilization 

Yeah he is a talented guy. Now I'm also not saying that you should run out and buy an old Canon t2i, I am saying that you have options and for what you have in mind, a Canon may be the perfect camera brand for you. But there are a lot of brands and camera models to choose from, so continue to do your research and watch a ton of videos.

If you decide to go with Canon, decide if you need or want 4K, if you need or want slow motion, and if you need or want to use the great Canon Dual Pixel Auto Focus?