What is the best low budget monitor out there?(Neway CT500HO, perhaps?)

Kisaha

I am about to buy a 5-7inches monitor for my NX setup(mainly, but it could be nice to be able to use it with C100i+ii or C300/JVC LS300 if possible), and I recently noticed that there are a few options on ebay and elsewhere (Neway seem to be the Ikan OEM manufacturers, Kooletron, Lilliput, noname ones, strange name ones).

Does anyone have any buying suggestion?

The aforementioned Neway seem like the best, very cheap, option, but I am wondering if there is a slightly better (probably larger) one for slightly more money (a couple of hundreds more), and I am not so sure that a touch screen on the field is a good idea (the whole week I was filming in vine yards, and the 7inch Ikan took a lot of bitting, and mud, and humidity, and heat, and grapes juice!).

As always, all input highly appreciatable

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I have the Lilliput 663/O/P2, because of the features... but then the BMD Video Assist was more practical to use (5" is lovely! The 7" 663 is well-built... maybe too well, it's heavy and clunky). Just... the VA is not really awesome blossum for monitoring per se, it just lacks features. Because of that I'm going in between with the Lilliput Q5. LinkDelight seems to have 'em already. The official EU distributor was expecting 'em in in two weeks (that was a week ago). I mean, ideally I would've gone with a field monitor/recorder combo, but the one I want, which is the Videodevices PIX-E5(H) is a little bit too high up there for me to really consider. Time for them, Atomos or Blackmagic to release a combo monitor with 5~5.5" in the sub 1000 USD range (preferably sub 750 of course). That would be a home run! Until that day I think the Q5 will do it all: from being mounted on a handheld gimbal stabilizer to actually checking the waveforms/vectorscope in a studio environment. The silly but practical looking rubber Atomos-style cover is removable (since the update of including one, they haven't had any renders without one).

Btw, Aputure has a new monitor, the VS-5 (7" though). Saw it a few weeks ago on AliExpress. They announced the release on their social media and YouTube channel more recently. And not sure why, but Feelworld and Seetec seem very stoneagey, I'd be more comfortable with Lilliput and Aputure.

46 minutes ago, Cinegain said:

I mean, ideally I would've gone with a field monitor/recorder combo, but the one I want, which is the Videodevices PIX-E5(H) is a little bit too high up there for me to really consider.

That is the one I also really REALLY want! :-D

Anyone heard of any overheating issues with it?

I had the aputure finehd vs-2 and hated it.  Colors really off and just looked too blocky for some reason.  Everything was good except for the screen.  

I just got the neway.  My reviews are on personal view.  It's ok - I only use it in zoom mode to help focus and compose with screen (d750).  Finehd has no zoom feature and takes like 15s to boot up.

Not sure if you can do any critical focusing on 7inch monitors without zooming in... if that is the case I won't have any use for super expensive monitors.

What Neway do you have?

How's the focus peaking solutions?

The Q5 seems perfect, but it is 430€, near recorder/monitor territory. I can imagine that pretty soon we will have very good combos for less than 800€. For now, and simple monitoring, a small and cheap Neway CT500HO seems to do the job sufficiently, until next year, that more companies (Atomos and CO) will have complete solutions. The 5 inch monitor/recorder is a big market, and I can see tenths of products soon to be released.

Does anyone has the aforementioned Neway? Being Ikan'd OEM manufacturer (so they say) must mean something. 

I have a question - monitors have a parameter called "max. input resolution". If it is 1920x1080, what would happen if if gets 4k signal? Will it show it zoomed in? Or wouldn't accept at all, or maybe would still scale it correctly? 

I have the NX1. Apparently, if I buy a monitor with 1080p max. input, I could set NX1 to output 1080p, while recording 4k internally, right? I don't have a monitor, so cannot test this one myself. I am just afraid to buy a 1080p max. input monitor and not be able to see the proper picture if I shoot in 4k...

23 hours ago, IronFilm said:

That is the one I also really REALLY want! :-D

Anyone heard of any overheating issues with it?

There's a thread on DVInfo about those recorders (I'd considered one for myself): http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sound-devices-pix-series-recorders/

They're apparently designed to get hot,  but I'm not sure if thermal shudowns have been reported, or under what circumstances.

• 11 months later...

- Not sure where to put this, but here seems about appropriate. -

I just came across the Lilliput A7S 4K... and, it's actually a really rather intriguing low budget monitor (apart from not being more compact than 7")...

q28sMyU.jpg

Advanced Monitor Functionality

The A7s has a multitude of advanced functions to assist with your shooting. Namely - Timecodes (*), Columnar YRGB, Pixel Zoom Function, Vector Scopes (* ?! No mention of it anywhere else though, I think they've just copy a list of advanced features from the Q7), Audio Level Meters, Peaking, False Colour, Histograms, Exposures, Check Fields, Color Bars, Pixel to Pixel, and Image flips. A host of functions for a multi faceted monitoring solution.

AsaszFy.jpg

Amazon ( https://www.amazon.de/Lilliput-1920x1200-Feldmonitor-Mirrorless-Panasonic/dp/B074SGNC2X ) puts its first appearance at 2 weeks ago. Must've snuck by me, because I haven't seen any promotion/articles or anything regarding this puppy. But a 7"-er with advanced monitoring features that takes a 4K signal... for a Linkdelight price of 149 USD, doesn't sound too bad at all... dare I say almost unheard of at this pricepoint? Thought I should share, so... there ya go.