Adapting Metabones Speed Booster for use with non-Canon EF lenses

Rungunshoot

Hi, just wanted to start a topic about using 3rd party lenses with the Metabones Speed Booster.  Their website warns about the possibility of some lenses having protruding rear elements that could scratch the adapter or short out the electrical connections.

I don't yet own any EF lenses, so I'm currently using a Rainbow Imaging Nikon to EF adapter.  The lenses I've tried with this are:

- 50mm f/1.8 pancake (all manual)

- 24mm f/2 AIS (all manual)

Camera is a Sony NEX-5n.

After my first day of trials, this combo works fine.  My caveats so far:

- The Nikon adapter tends to stick to the lens, requiring a manual depress of the delicate release lever in order to unscrew it from the lens.  So I'm just buying another Rainbow Imaging adapter and plan on leaving it on the lens all the time.

- The lens focuses a bit past infinity.

Other than that, I'm really enjoying the Speed Booster and see no image degradation.  Will be posting sample videos soon.

Anyone else tried other lenses?

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Maurits
      Hi there, I just purchased Canon's EOS C70 and would like to complement it with Canon's RF 28-70mm F2L USM lens. Since that lens has no IS and I mostly film handheld and a lot of times in low light conditions, I am just wondering how well it performs together with the C70. Do the shots turn out to be very/too shaky? Of course the camera has electronic Image Stabiliser. Is that getting rid of shaky footage? Otherwise I'll (have to) go for the RF 24-70mm F/2.8 L IS USM lens. Best, Maurits
    • By Nicholson Ruiz
      Hello! Very good condition Nikon COOLPIX A grey and black for sale. I am selling to purchase a lens. I am also open to offers. See eBay link or message me for more options. 
      Ruiz.
      \\https://www.ebay.com/itm/265125258472

• By AlexDigi
      Looking to offload this lovely lens, one minor scratch on it but still in original box - looking for around £13,000 ex VAT
      Let me know - thanks!

• By stevenjbelcher
      Like new BMPCC 4K with Metabones EF-MFT ULTRA .71x Speedbooster.
      Originally purchased new in early 2019.
      Only very minor cosmetic dings on the top of the camera body. Everything works perfectly. Only used professionally a handful of times.
      Includes:
      Body (w/ caps) Speedbooster (w/ caps & case) Manual Power adapter LP-E6 Battery Original Camera Packaging Firmware Version: 6.9.6
      Photos: https://www.sharegrid.com/dcbaltimore/l/188312-blackmagic-design-pocket-cinema-camera-4k-w-metabones-ultra-71x-speedbooster
    • By thebrothersthre3
      $1700 shipped open to offers
      Looking to sell my GH5(mint condition), with battery grip, along with a metabones speedbooster, and three Minolta lenses. Also comes with 4 batteries.

The lenses are 24mm 2.8, 35mm 1.8, and 50mm 1.4
      The Battery grip is a great addition, letting you record continuously for at least 3 hours straight. The image coming out of the GH5 is pretty amazing. Incredibly detailed image, free from moire and aliasing. The IBIS is amazing allowing you to shoot handheld without any shake. The speedbooster gives you a S35 field of view and an extra stop of light. Combined with the fast minolta glass you can get some really nice images at 3200 iso in low light. The minolta lenses give the image a cinematic feel. The 35mm 1.8 is especially nice being very sharp wide open. The GH5 allows you to crop in to get more reach out of the lenses too.
      Selling because I recently purchased an URSA mini and already have two Fuji cameras. This was my second time purchasing a GH5 and I'll probably be back to it at some point, but alas this one has to go for now. The GH5 is like the ultimate run and gun camera, at least for the price.