Music Video Shot on A7sii - Zeiss Super Speed Lenses

yawningdog

I do like it, very nice, congrats. The superspeeds render such a beautiful image. Can you please answer a few questions about the workflow? Did you use a monitor/external recorder on set to judge your lighting? What gamma curve was used and where did you place the exposure for the skin tones?  Any noise reduction in the shadows? Any other comments on how to squeeze the most out of the 8 bit file? I just picked up an A7s2 and putting together a collection of Contax lenses and the look you achieved is exactly what I am going for. Thanks for posting this piece.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Richlein. Really sorry. I didn't notice your post. I shot with slog3, sgamut3 cine. I actually haven't played around with the profile settings, its too complicated.

I didn't use any noise reduction. All skin tones were exposed 2 x stops over. In my tests, I have managed to expose 4 x stops over without clipping or loss of quality. Anything under 2 x stops over will give noise.

I graded using the various scopes in premiere pro 2015, not just by eye. I feel that I could have done a better job on some of the lighting. I am happy with band-only stuff, it gives enough contrast to darken the shot if necessary.

For the barn dance crowd stuff I set up a load of hanging pendant lights down the center of the set. The other lights were supposed to be mostly prop lights.

But the center bulbs were too weak to dominate the center part. I had too much spill from the string lights. So in the edit, I had to add a mask to dim down the walls.

So, in summary, for this video I needed more lighting contrast for an effective grade. I didn't have it, so I had to mask some shots.

Another observation, I do like to use smoke. But with 8bit slog3, you can see banding in some of the highlights. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By mistvan
      Hi everyone.

I just found 3 lenses in the attic. I attache a picture of them. For 1. and 2. i have some ideas, but i have no idea what 3. could be.

im using Canon EF, so my questions would be:

Can someone guide me / give me a hint / link about:

1. what are this guys (ok, i have idea about 1. and 2., but 3 - no idea.
      2. what type of mount do they use?
      3. what adaptor should i look for to mount them on Canon EF?

thanks for your kind answers :)[attachment=38764]l.jpg[/attachment]

• By petertom
      ZEISS TODD-AO Zoom 50-150mm T3.2 Anamorphic x1.25 Large Format Vista Red Monstro On Ebay
      Price: S $3,000.00
      https://www.ebay.com/itm/ZEISS-TODD-AO-Zoom-50-150mm-T3-2-Anamorphic-x1-25-Large-Format-Vista-Red-Monstro/153990922811?

• By thebrothersthre3
      $1700 shipped open to offers
      Looking to sell my GH5(mint condition), with battery grip, along with a metabones speedbooster, and three Minolta lenses. Also comes with 4 batteries.

The lenses are 24mm 2.8, 35mm 1.8, and 50mm 1.4
      The Battery grip is a great addition, letting you record continuously for at least 3 hours straight. The image coming out of the GH5 is pretty amazing. Incredibly detailed image, free from moire and aliasing. The IBIS is amazing allowing you to shoot handheld without any shake. The speedbooster gives you a S35 field of view and an extra stop of light. Combined with the fast minolta glass you can get some really nice images at 3200 iso in low light. The minolta lenses give the image a cinematic feel. The 35mm 1.8 is especially nice being very sharp wide open. The GH5 allows you to crop in to get more reach out of the lenses too.
      Selling because I recently purchased an URSA mini and already have two Fuji cameras. This was my second time purchasing a GH5 and I'll probably be back to it at some point, but alas this one has to go for now. The GH5 is like the ultimate run and gun camera, at least for the price.

• By dia3olik
      Hey guys,
      I have a SpeedBooster for the Pocket and the Micro for sale, Canon EF lens version.
      Asking price is 450€
      I'm in Italy and I can ship to Europe for fair prices and even WW if needed (postal or UPS).
      BTW I also have a brand new Wooden Camera cage for the BMMCC plus the Wooden Camera PL Mount Pro kit for it in another thread

• By kazkioken
      Clearing out some stuff I don't use, this is a mint condition Metabones Nikon N/F to Sony E mount Ultra Speedbooster with 1 stop and .71X fov

I don't have the container or box, will just be the speedbooster and both end caps with the support piece as shown

Prefer local Los Angeles area pick up for $390 so you can see the adapter in person - can ship to US via PP with additional shipping and G&S fee