New Varicam announcement next month

AaronChicago

IMO this announcement is just going to be as dull as "Varicam features in a smaller body". They'll make big noise about the dual ISO etc being a first for a camera of this size. Perhaps something new like an interchangeable mount.

on the other hand, IBIS would be a first for a cinema camera, and would make sense for a "mobile" unit. IMO the GH5 absolutely has to have IBIS but in marketing terms they're trailing Sony with that - but this would make a big splash. Just a theory ...

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Yeah, as-is it's meant to be used in this kind of fashion:

yBvnfQi.png

Oompf. Won't see me walking around with one of those anytime soon. But now... they've probably optimized the unit and upped the mobility so it can be used in a similar fashion as the Canon C-range, Sony FS, Blackmagic URSA Mini, heck even the AJA Cion and JVC GY-LS300. A proper AF100 spin-off indeed! Combining the AF100 styling and the Varicam tech turning into a significant pro-up from the GH4 and less limiting than the fixed zoom DVX200. Sounds like a sound plan to me!

I wish the lens were Faster though, like an f2.8 (or f2.0) Zoom, since M4/3rd have issues with low light anyway. And a servo zoom. The M4/3rd range only lacks that IMHO. 

Panasonic has a 12-35mm f/2.8 and 35-100mm f/2.8 already

But you'll need to keep on swapping back and forth between the two, plus they're expensive to buy both.

To make a lens with a great range you will need to increase size and cost substantially, or be a slower f-stop.

I'd rather keep the cost low! Thus why I proposed a Panasonic 14-90mm f/4 be created, could be a great little run and gun lens for the AF200 to compete against the likes of a FS7/FS5 or C100/C300 with their 18-105mm f/4 (or 28-135mm f/4) and the 24-105mm f/4

Given the existence already of the Nikon 24-120 f/4 for Full Frame and the Sony 18-105mm /f4 for APS-C, I believe a 14-90mm f/4 should be very achievable for the 4/3" sized sensor.