Have to Buy A New Camera- D5300 or D750?

Dustin

My d5200 has crapped out. I sent it to Nikon service center thru the store I bought it at, came back and the auto focus is still not working properly. I isolated it to be a body issue. I use this camera in my daily job to take car pics for a dealer, as well as for videos whenever I get the chance (shorts, side jobs, interviews). I need autofocus for pics as manual focus would take too long in the inventory I have to do. Seeing as I've only owned the camera a year I'm uncertain if I should invest in a d5300 like the one I'm renting (ends this weekend) or a more professional camera. What's the odds that a d5300/d5500 will crap out on me with daily consistent use in another year? If I chose the d750, I will have to get a kit lens to start as I only have a 17-55 kit, and a tamron 17-50f2.8 and a Nikon 28mm e series. The tamron I would need to sell asap and maybe get a 50mm for video to use. What would you do? I have to make up my mind today. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Oh I will be able to, I'm just saying for now like the next 2 months I would have to get by with a kit. I feel like the d750 is a better investment for professional use though right? I mean whose to say in another year I have to drop 400-600 on another d5xxx body when at this point I would have 1200 in cameras in two years, as opposed to getting one good camera to last for a 2 years. Am I wrong?

Also in my job I'm required to take 20-100+ pictures a day. Is it possible that the d52/3/500 isn't designed to be used for photos as strenuous as that? Or did I just get a lemon and should buy a 5300/5500?

you are acting as if you expect the d5300 do die on you, and the d750 not to so, that was my response. From what you are telling us you don`t seem too need a FF camera, at least not for taking car photos.

I gave you my advice from my experience.

If you want a FF camera you should get one, it`s a good camera.

you are acting as if you expect the d5300 do die on you, and the d750 not to so, that was my response. From what you are telling us you don`t seem too need a FF camera, at least not for taking car photos.

I gave you my advice from my experience.

If you want a FF camera you should get one, it`s a good camera.

I understand no bad blood toward you at all! I should've explained it better, I do take car photos but I also do photos/videos on the side. I have done photography sessions for clients. I just meant in my day to day I use it for car photos and on the side with videos at least once a week! I just want something that's gonna hold up and I was looking at upgrading eventually anyways. But idk. Maybe the 5300 is professional enough. I'd hate to spend 600 in another year or even 2000 in another year so idk. Tough desicion. Any other thoughts?

I have had my 550D for about 5-6 years and I still use it weekly for paid work. It was a budget camera when it came out and it`s pretty much worthless money vise these days. I would not film that show with a 2k camera, because it is likely that I will drop it to the floor, water, snow...fortunately I haven`t yet, but I know I will eventually. When I do, if it breaks I will get another one for less than 200, which is less that what I make on a single shoot. I own/have access to other cameras but I choose to work whit this one and the people I film for like what they get.

What I`m saying is that use/buy the camera that suits your current needs. You never know what your future needs will be nor you know what cameras will be available in the future. I you were fine with the d5200 you will be fine with the d5300.

Oh I will be able to, I'm just saying for now like the next 2 months I would have to get by with a kit. I feel like the d750 is a better investment for professional use though right? I mean whose to say in another year I have to drop 400-600 on another d5xxx body when at this point I would have 1200 in cameras in two years, as opposed to getting one good camera to last for a 2 years. Am I wrong?

Also in my job I'm required to take 20-100+ pictures a day. Is it possible that the d52/3/500 isn't designed to be used for photos as strenuous as that? Or did I just get a lemon and should buy a 5300/5500?

Thats not many AT ALL! Shutter should be rated for close to 100,000. I've had a Canon t2i going strong since the end of 2011. You just got unlucky with yours. 

The d750 is an incredible camera for stills, but the D5300 is great as well. In your situation, I'd probably go with the D5300 and save up for some nicer lenses this year.

So the D500 is always an option... then I wouldn't need new lenses. Maybe get a d5300/5500 then buy the d500 in a little while?

Thats not many AT ALL! Shutter should be rated for close to 100,000. I've had a Canon t2i going strong since the end of 2011. You just got unlucky with yours. 

The d750 is an incredible camera for stills, but the D5300 is great as well. In your situation, I'd probably go with the D5300 and save up for some nicer lenses this year.

I am really disappointed. Its a crazy issue but upon some other research last night it isn't unheard of for the autofocus to just stop working reliably. And in my case I need it to work for photos. On the other hand the d5500 has flat video. That would be a nice bonus. But at that point I'm not far away from the upcoming d500.. decisions decisions..

What I`m saying is that use/buy the camera that suits your current needs. You never know what your future needs will be nor you know what cameras will be available in the future. I you were fine with the d5200 you will be fine with the d5300.

Good Point. Maybe d5300/5500 is the way to go. Would be much better on the budget. The question then is do I buy the 5500 from BH or try to find a better deal on ebay. I feel like I already know the answer to this question. On one hand I bought my Tamron 17-50 on ebay for WAY less than BH and it works/functions great. Any deals right now on a 5500 for less than 800?

Also I just read that the d5500 doesn't have external flash control. I use a yungnuo (?) external flash and this is a must use. Looks like the 5500 is out...

They're both fine, but the D750 is a really exciting camera if you ask me and surely fullframe and a higher end body comes with certain advantages. The 5300 for example doesn't drive old AF lenses as it lacks AF motor. And as Matthias showed, the D750 really does things right. Both aren't mirrorless, have fancy 4K or anything, but they're both solid choices. The D5300 would have that vari-angle display which could be nice, should you care.

They're both fine, but the D750 is a really exciting camera if you ask me and surely fullframe and a higher end body comes with certain advantages. The 5300 for example doesn't drive old AF lenses as it lacks AF motor. And as Matthias showed, the D750 really does things right. Both aren't mirrorless, have fancy 4K or anything, but they're both solid choices. The D5300 would have that vari-angle display which could be nice, should you care.

Good points. Wait so what "old" lenses could I use in autofocus on the d750? Basically at this point the question is for me: Do I spend $600 on a body and be done with it (hopefully, fingers crossed) also perhaps get a d500 later. Or do I spend 2400 on a d750 with a kit, sell my d5200, kit lens, tamron 17-50 and hopefully buy a 50mm1.8g for filming/portraits until I can get a 24-70? I unfortunately NEED flash so the d5500 is out.

Just dropped off my camera at the shop. He thinks it can get fixed but agreed I got a dud. I'm still going to get a camera regardless as I have no time to wait. He recommended the 7200 but if I'm going to spend 1000 I might as well save and get something better...

at at this point, the d5300 is in first place. 

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

I think I can help you as someone who used all these Nikon camera.

First some ground facts:

The Nikon D750 has the same image quality as the D5300, it's identical in resolution, colour, noise pattern, aliasing/more (lack of), rolling shutter amount, picture profiles. It's just the same video image. The codecs are as clean and as gradeable. 

But with these exceptions:

- the D750 is full frame, so has the FF shallow depth of field aesthetic (great look if you like it) with FX lenses

- stop or 1.5 stop advantage of high ISO noise amount. 

- Slightly higher dynamic range and better rendering due to the FLAT picture profile (I love it)

The D5500 has the FLAT pp too. 

In terms of only video use. The D5300/D5500 make much better sense, unless the more rugged body is a priority to beat it up and get it wet and the slight better 3200/6400 ISO is paramount for your work, plus if you record sound in-camera and want a headphone jack to monitor the audio (i wouldn't do that they both suck in audio quality)

The D5500/D5300 has the advantage of a s35 standard motion picture size sensor and rendering (s35 mode on the D750 sucks), the fully swivel screen, the smaller and lighter body, and the cost that can be put into lenses or lighting or audio etc

Get the D5300 or better the D5500 and better glass. the D750 is only worth it if you're going to do professional-grade stills photography, FF is important, more rugged body is key while if you don't need these you'll be paying more for nothing in return. 

BTW the D5200 dying on you is a rare accident. My D5300 took enormous beating. i was just testing the D5200 in a sand storm, under rain, and shooting sea tides up close, fell a couple of time of concrete, it works without a hiccup even though it's neither sand or rain proof. Nikon and Canon DSLRs are really really well built. Oh and when testing the D5200 the noise banding in the shadow area is hidous, the D5300 is a MUCH better image due to that fact Nikon fixed it. It's hideous on the D5200 and D7100. 

Good to know! I didn't want to load flat on the rental d5300 I have now. I was looking into d7200 bodies as well but at that price I would rather wait and access my options. The d5500 is what I'd like but I need an external flash so the d5300 is probably the most cost effective option here I'm thinking. 

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

The Nikon Flat that comes with the D5500 and D7200 and D750/D810 cannot be loaded onto other cameras. There are some flat profile that you can download but they're not anywhere near as useful or beneficial as the nikon official Flat gamma. It increases DR a bit and gives more flexibility and no noise penalty, with a bit better skin colour, while Similaar Flaat PP I hate really on Nikon SLRs. 

Anyway here's how the D5300 image looks in terms of resolution and colour and overal quality compared to the D750: Impossible to tell the difference. How ever there is a slight difference in lowlight in a more dark situation and of course that fullframe look with FX lenses. Choose what you need based on budget, just know that the lower end Nikon give an extremely similar video to the highest end ones. I'd be surprised if you could tell them apart here ( I even forgot which one is which)

Image4.thumb.jpg.2ff8661d08c24dec6189500
Image0.thumb.jpg.c5cba4fc3148413493de653
Image1.thumb.jpg.16bf19078119d5ce8632d93
Image2.thumb.jpg.8fdc54ee20cd0319836e6d1

these are very scientific well made comparisons from Dpreview and I took 400x crop to make it easier for you to see. The D5300/5500 gives the same video image as the D750 in the most part so you're not sacrificing much in video.