Canon FD L vs Nikon AIS

kidzrevil

I have a set of Canon FD L lenses in great condition. They were cheap as hell when I bought them but now on ebay prices have SKYROCKETTED !  I am considering selling my set for some Nikon primes like the 50mm f1.2 35mm f1.8 and 85mm f1.4.   I currently have the 24mm f1.4 L , 50mm f 1.2 L, and 85mm f1.2 L along side the 35mm f2 SSC. Are the Nikon's better ? From what I am seeing on 500px they are not necessarily better they just render the image way differently ! Here are some shots I took with the Canon FD L series on the Sony a7s

bear.jpg

flower.jpg

gator.jpg

kangaroo.jpg

turtle.jpg

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I'm in a similar boat, actually. As you said, the Nikons aren't better--just different. The main reason I wouldn't buy them is because their focus rings turn the opposite way from every other manufacturer's lenses. It drives me absolutely bananas. On top of that, they've become massively overpriced in the used market since this vintage lens craze has taken off. 

If you're looking up for a step up in quality, my recommendations are Leica R, Contax Zeiss, and Minolta Rokkor, in that order. The advantage of the Leicas is that you can use them on anything, even Nikon mount. They're pretty expensive, but they provide the most beautiful images I've ever seen from stills glass. In terms of bang for the buck, I'd put Contax Zeiss on the top. Built extremely well and can easily intercut with Zeiss Master Primes. You just can't beat them for the price. Minolta Rokkors match each other extremely well in color and contrast, and give a nice look for not a lot of money. Not all their designs were winners, so do your homework and get the right versions. 

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

I bought the 50L f/1.2 lusting for that aesthetic. Sadly didn't find the aesthetic I was looking for (50mm F/1.2 EF). I found the background rendition so poor that a modern 50mm 1.8 gives a better FF bokeh aesthetic. No buyers would take it here so I gave it as a birthday gift for my niece who uses an old but great stills Sony nex 3n camera (APS-C). She loves it and never takes it off, they have lower standards than ours I believe. Her friends and community are astounded by her portraiture and got many gigs for it, because her peers only use slow zooms and this shallow DOF impresses the non-technically-educated person mor than any other IQ element including resolution.

The 50mm EF 1.2L on the other hand is gorgeous. So is the Nikon Ai-s version. 

The 85mm FD 1.2L I wouldn't replace with any other. 

Could you work with a 50mm Nikon with a reverse ring and an 85mm with normal ring interchangeably? I can. But I see many have a deal-breaking issue with that matter and  want only one ring direction on all their lens line-up.

You just can't compare Canon FD to Nikon ai-s to Contax Zeiss to Leica R etc...

You've got to really know what kind of look you want & then go from there.

Nikon Ai-s lenses are lovely & it makes absolutely no difference which way the focus ring turns - you get used to it. Here's a useful link  that rates the different Nikon Lenses & he's always spot on with his analysis - the fastest ones aren't always the best. The 2nd link is a serial number link that helps you to know which one you're looking at when buying:

http://www.naturfotograf.com/lens_surv.html#rating

http://www.photosynthesis.co.nz/nikon/serialno.html

Nikon Ai-s are great & after the Russains, they are my favourite & I will be buying the whole set at some point.

I find that i'm looking for how a lens renders the background areas, not just wide open but throughout the range - that's the real test for me, if its ugly at f4/5.6 then I just don't bother. You've got to remember that most lenses don't render their optimum capabilities wide open, especially if they're fast f1.2s. As far as Nikon goes the 50mm f1.2 isn't better wide open than the f1.4 & I prefer the f1.8!

From your photos, it looks as if you're wanting a low contrast lens set. I think some of the lenses with older coatings will suit you better, especially those with a Gold-ish tint - be warned these will flare like crazy.

Bit of a curve ball for you - Tomioka 55mm f1.2 or f1.4.

You'll find that they made lenses for other companies such as Revuenon, Cosinon, Yashinon & Chinon (they all have the "Auto" moniker) - the only ones worth getting or being sure they are the real thing have Tomioka Japan on the ring as well.

Tomioka was the Japanese company that made the Zeiss Contax lenses - pretty much says it all really!

You just can't compare Canon FD to Nikon ai-s to Contax Zeiss to Leica R etc...

You've got to really know what kind of look you want & then go from there.

Nikon Ai-s lenses are lovely & it makes absolutely no difference which way the focus ring turns - you get used to it. Here's a useful link  that rates the different Nikon Lenses & he's always spot on with his analysis - the fastest ones aren't always the best. The 2nd link is a serial number link that helps you to know which one you're looking at when buying:

http://www.naturfotograf.com/lens_surv.html#rating

http://www.photosynthesis.co.nz/nikon/serialno.html

Nikon Ai-s are great & after the Russains, they are my favourite & I will be buying the whole set at some point.

I find that i'm looking for how a lens renders the background areas, not just wide open but throughout the range - that's the real test for me, if its ugly at f4/5.6 then I just don't bother. You've got to remember that most lenses don't render their optimum capabilities wide open, especially if they're fast f1.2s. As far as Nikon goes the 50mm f1.2 isn't better wide open than the f1.4 & I prefer the f1.8!

From your photos, it looks as if you're wanting a low contrast lens set. I think some of the lenses with older coatings will suit you better, especially those with a Gold-ish tint - be warned these will flare like crazy.

I had the 50mm 1.4 ai-s as well, one of my first Nikkors, but I never really loved the lens. I liked my 50mm series e, I spent 17 bucks on way better. So, I ended up selling my set of Nikons. When I was looking for a good 24mm, I got a great deal on non-ai. I decided to pick up a 50mm to compliment it and just went with the cheapest f2 I could get. While I was waiting for it to arrive, I did some research and learned that it was considered by some to be one of the sharpest 50mm lenses. And once I started shooting with it, I can confirm it. It's an absolutely beautiful lens. In fact, I am considering getting a D5500 now because of that lens set. 

I've had a lot of Nikkors over the years.

I stated getting them 5 years ago now when working with the t2i.

I've settled into a nice collection of AIS versions that is my main lens set (24/2,35/1.4, 50/1.2, 55/2.8, 85/1.4, 105/1.8, 135/2.8 E, 200/4)

I love them and don't plan on getting rid of them, merely expanding in the right places, but recently I've really been more into the Canon FD lenses on my nx1.

I have the 24/2.8 and just a 50/1.8 but I love how they look on the nx1.

I'd keep your FD set just to have as a complete set, then maybe buy some 50mm lenses of different brands.

If you find a brand that you really like, go from there.