48p The Hobbit - British and American critics verdict

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

It's a must see in HFR!

how many 1 2 3 fucking movies.

for fuck sake bullshit satanic hollywood.

is it 2 movies or 3 whatever it is these scum deserve to lose lot's of money.

i can get a vhs video from a charity store with 8 episodes of the bbc tellytubbies shows.

the one with the gay actor that played tinkywink with his handbag.

why do i need to vomit in 3 movies..

i have worked with ian who plays gandalf.

i do not want to count his giant size nasal hairs.

i really hope when jackson sold his soul to the devil he has had plenty of past fun times cos mephistopheles will be calling in the next couple of years for payback.

• Administrators

There seems to be a huge failure in the technology industry to appreciate beauty. Give me the fine grain in a raw file over noise reduction in a JPEG any day. Another example is excess digital processing on TVs. We all know what the dreaded 200hz smoothing mode looks like. These engineers think they are being clever with their crusade against motion blur, grain, noise and softness. They won't stop until everything looks plastic and shit. Well I am voting with my feet. I am only going to buy the cameras which offer me minimal electric tricks and maximum organic image quality, and clinical modern lenses can remain on the shelves as far as I'm concerned.

I read the idiot in charge of RED claims his piddly little s35 'dragon' sensor will out perform super70mm film...   Same thing.  A bloke in a very strong position making suggestions that the red would come somewhere close to being able to shoot Zulu and other epic movies where only a large format will cut it.  Exactly the same as the people who think a camera phone can replace a proper camera, but he is setting an example and educating future professionals.  I'm not watching The Hobbit purely because the hype has put me off.  I'll stay at home and watch Ron Howard and Lucas's Willow instead.  

I read the idiot in charge of RED claims his piddly little s35 'dragon' sensor will out perform super70mm film...   Same thing.  A bloke in a very strong position making suggestions that the red would come somewhere close to being able to shoot Zulu and other epic movies where only a large format will cut it.  Exactly the same as the people who think a camera phone can replace a proper camera, but he is setting an example and educating future professionals.  I'm not watching The Hobbit purely because the hype has put me off.  I'll stay at home and watch Ron Howard and Lucas's Willow instead.  

jannard is a dead man walking arri alexa has destroyed him.

death by a thousand alexa use commercials every 2 weeks.

he may be getting some big movies but the bread and butter money is in the shit jobs and arri have that sewn up sweet.

no disrespect but ron howard is just a bald twat from happy days another hollywood satanist : )

it is all so tired.

get this out on dvd  a series of ghost stories directed by Masaki Kobayashi in 1964 in lovely toho scope.

the trailer is a little dull the movie is sublime perfection : )

and scary in parts.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XG5mvupo9Wc"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XG5mvupo9Wc[/url]

[quote name="EOSHD" post="23354" time="1355237236"]I am really torn over this. Cannot figure out if the problem is as you say above - messing with culture - and the shock of it suddenly changing, or if the aesthetic of 24p is fundamental to our human vision in making an immersive cinematic experience. Nobody in their right mind preferred the look of 60i over 24p in the DV days so why suddenly now is The Hobbit shot this way?[/quote]Exactly. Other points on the matter we're in regards to the 3-D in the film and how 48fps aids a smoother viewing with less motion blur. For that purpose, cool. As far as 24p and how we see it, I can say if I'd had to watch The Goonies growing up at 60i, at 6 years old i'd still have thought, "wtf is this?" Or any film for that matter, even before I understood how all of it works. It just does. I think it "is" part of the aesthetic of visual storytelling. Someone will bring up the success of the Blair Witch project or the Paranormal series however, and have an argument as well. At the end of the day, most of us aren't that technical. All I hear between the lines from it's current reviews are, "It's beautiful, but f'ckin weird to watch." It'll be interesting to see how the masses react that have no idea how frame rates affect a film.It's like They're overhauling what "cinematic" means altogether. Which hey, however you wanna tell your story, do it. I hope "if" I ever did have the opportunity and budget to shoot my masterpiece, I could shoot it at 24fps without being shutdown for being outdated. I can't see 24fps going away anytime soon, but if it ever catches on, money talks.

Tony, I respect your passion, but I don't agree good cinema can only be made with film, there has been so much shit shot on 35mm. Cinema is a mix of storytelling/visuals/music/acting/etc and can be shot in any format! To make art with movie making is a lot more difficult. Peter Jackson is not even trying to make art, he's trying to make money and he is pretty good at it! 

LOTR is a little more serious/epic, The Hobbit is more entertainment, but I don't feel any of them to be satanic! Both are pop-corn eating movies... ;-D

how many 1 2 3 fucking movies.

for fuck sake bullshit satanic hollywood.

is it 2 movies or 3 whatever it is these scum deserve to lose lot's of money.

Cinema is storytelling & creating an illusion just the same as reading a novel or listening to a radio play. It's not real life like looking through a window. The smooth motion & detail using this technology when swooping over landscape may work well in creating an illusion but a hyper-real extreme HD close-up may have the opposite effect. We don't see in full widescreen HD our vision actually is more like a soft focus vignette on what we are actually concentrating on but then our centre of attention flicks all over the place to fill in the rest of the details. Cinema & TV has been remarkably successful in creating an entertaining illusion of real life for us over the years but trying to make the images more & more like 'real life' with visual tricks like 3D & HFR etc are not necessarily improving on the illusion.

I know the movie comes out very soon now, so everyone will be able to check out the HFR stuff for themselves, but there have been clips shot on red cameras posted around online that are at 48fps. If you are really unsure of what it would look like, just google for them. The [url="http://www.red.com/learn/red-101/high-frame-rate-video"]red website [/url]even has some videos shot at 60 and 30/24 to show how it looks. Personally, I don't like the look of HFR stuff for movies, whether showscan or otherwise, but I will still see the hobbit that way to give it another try and to see if the 3D makes a difference with it. Even for sports and stuff HFR just looks odd to me, and the smooth-motion stuff a lot of the TVs can do now just looks terrible.

The whole point of HFR is to see it in the cinema, in 3D.

We know how it looks on the web. Like 60p or 60i.

I've seen 48fps and 60fps in a theatre.  It's just bigger.  If you sit in the "sweet spot" with your peripheral vision completely filled you'll get vertigo with certain kinds of moving footage, which is neat for arial and action photography, and certain documentary subjects.  No way I'm gonna subject myself to that for hours and hours, like I'm some nosy tag-a-long in Middle Earth that everyone is ignoring.

• Administrators

I've booked my seats as far back as possible to minimise the stress on my eyes. There's even a break half way through at the screening I'm going to. This is common in Germany but not in England. The Germans are very sensitive and cannot suffer Hobbits for 3 hours solid and neither will I have to, thankfully.

Full report tomorrow!

There's even a break half way through at the screening I'm going to. This is common in Germany but not in England. The Germans are very sensitive and cannot suffer Hobbits for 3 hours solid ...!

Much more simple reason. During the intermission, the per-head-sales of popcorn rise ...

I guess I'm not surprised this is the reaction.  It's convinced me not to see the late night screening tonight that I have a free ticket for (HFR 3D/48fps version).  Time is precious and I would rather not see one of my fond childhood memories shown in a format I'm convinced would take me out of the story.  My friend/coworker just came back from it and he gave the 48fps version 20mins before jumping ship to an adjacent theater showing 24fps.  I certainly would like to see how it turned out.  It's certainly another tool in the cinematic tool box but I was so surprised that anyone would pick a fantasy piece as the project to use this on.  

I will say that one show where the "soap opera effect" really kicks bottom is Homeland on Showtime.  I think that sense of "this is real and you are witnessing it like you are there" is incredibly effective on that show.  May be that that is apples and oranges but I think there's a fair comparison in that we're talking about the effect of being perceived as "hyper-real".  

One thing I will also note is that not all viewers are created equal.  I believe it's been said that not everyone has the same reaction to that motion capture animation style that Robert Zemeckis has been using on films like Christmas Carol and Polar Express.  I look at that and I think I'm looking at meat puppets.  I have a very negative reaction to that and I think to myself, how does Robert Z. not feel the same?  A research person in my R&D department said there are studies that each individual has different reactions to to visuals that are trying to approximate human behavior and likeness. I think there is a parallel to the studies he was referring to called the Uncanny Valley with what we are seeing here.  With this film it would seem the reverse situation is playing out where we want something to look non-human (in this case, Hobbit-like, etc) and the technology would seem to be working against that.  I will call it the Unfortunate Valley.  A valley I would rather see in 2D and 24fps for my first viewing.  

I think it's a must see, because new cinema formats doesn't come out every couple of days. Then a "theoretical" improvement doesn't provide a direct improvement. For me there is a debate, a debate I would like to have with people who have the bases to discuss, and the first step is to watch the thing itself. 

But if you already hate HFR before you see it, then of course is better you save your time and go do something else!  :P

Why? Can you elaborate?