Sign in to follow this  
Wit

Perfect Glass for Panasonic GH3?

Which objectives are best for me and why?

I have always filmed with a camcorder but it's time to move on because I have outgrown this camera.

Waited for months but now finally buying the Panasonic GH3. I don't any glass and I don't know much about objectives yet so please help.

- I'm making documentary work where I interview people but also shoot landscapes.

- Most of my films are shot on the road while traveling with a bicycle, so lightweight is important.

- Like a  Filmish look

Which objectives are best for me and why? 

Thanxs for helping a newcomer!

EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Voightlander is a fast prime lens not a zoom .

The Canon is a very versitile zoom and has aspheric elements making it very very sharp and great for shooting people

and landscapes.

that 24-35mm zoom is very useful to have when you are framing people for interviews

Thanxs again. Yeah I know Voightlanders are prime and not a zoom  ;) 
I'm still  in doubt about two primes or a zoom so I'm searching for tips in prime and zooms.

Can I use all 3/4 lenses with the GH3 without loosing AF on the machine?

I wouldnt use AF for any video you shoot

All manual settings for video ...

you dont want the camera doing anything for you

especially focus as it will hunt in and out - even the new system on the GH3 can get confused.

A good fast prime like the Voightlander f0.95 and a good zoom will be a good set for you

A good cheap sharp prime is the Sigma FD mount 24mm f2.8 - I like this lens on the Panasonic

it is sharp and will focus down to 8cm !! very close and it has a nice creamy Bokeh very cinematic

I got mine off ebay very cheap !!

If you want a filmic look but still want autofocus (AF) then pick the Panasonic Leica 25mm F1.4 or 45mm F2.8.  Awesome lenses, AF is fast and you can shoot in very low light and have smooth out of focus backgrounds.  Other nice lenses are the Olympus 12mm and 75mm, both have AF.  Since you are used to a camcorder, AF is a plus.  You get nice images out of the Voiglander, SLR Magic or other manual lenses, but manual focus can be a pain if you're on the go.  Another all rounder is the Panasonic 12-35mm X or 35-100mm X zoom lenses.  Both are good in low light and have superior AF.

Andy,

I'm curious to get your opinion on some lens questions if you're open to it (or anyone else for that matter.

1) I"m about to get the GH3 and feel open to getting one of the Voigtlanders. Do you have a preference for the 17mm vs the 25mm in regards to what would be more useful?

2) If one was to use old manual 35mm slr film lenses for the GH3 do you think the Canon FD line is the best to go with considering price, quality and adaptability to m43? For example, I have a few old Pentax K mount lenses but wasn't sure if there were issues adapting this to m43.

1) I"m about to get the GH3 and feel open to getting one of the Voigtlanders. Do you have a preference for the 17mm vs the 25mm in regards to what would be more useful?

In theory, the 17,5 Voigtlander is the dream lens. But watch example videos on youtube or vimeo. A wide lens with an aperture that wide produces unnatural bokeh gradients. This is so, because the depth of field of a wideangle is a narrow circle, whereas that of a tele looks like a pane. 

I think the 25mm, which I own, is better in a way. But don't take my word, check it on youtube.

Dr Brinkley,

I use a few FD lenses, 50mm 1.2L, 85m 1.2L.  Both are really very nice.  Check ebay, there are many adapters available for any mount, including Pentax K.  If you don't want to go the cheap route, then you could check out Novoflex for their excellent adapters.  They are built solid, but cost upwards of $300 (I own a few).  Any old 35mm camera lens will work on the GH3, and will produce outstanding results.  Just remember to multiply the focal length x2 - 50mm = 100mm.  I have used Canon, Nikon, Leica - all produce excellent results.  I feel that even though Panasonic and Olympus produce excellent lenses, they are very clinical and maybe too sharp.  I believe Andrew is correct in this regard.  Lenses with more character produce better results, or maybe more "filmic" results.

Thanxs all! @Nahua, w

Dr Brinkley,

I use a few FD lenses, 50mm 1.2L, 85m 1.2L.  Both are really very nice.  Check ebay, there are many adapters available for any mount, including Pentax K.  If you don't want to go the cheap route, then you could check out Novoflex for their excellent adapters.  They are built solid, but cost upwards of $300 (I own a few).  Any old 35mm camera lens will work on the GH3, and will produce outstanding results.  Just remember to multiply the focal length x2 - 50mm = 100mm.  I have used Canon, Nikon, Leica - all produce excellent results.  I feel that even though Panasonic and Olympus produce excellent lenses, they are very clinical and maybe too sharp.  I believe Andrew is correct in this regard.  Lenses with more character produce better results, or maybe more "filmic" results.

hat do you mean by

- Any old 35mm camera lens will work on the GH3- . Can I fit old 35 mm lensens of a non digital camera to the GH3 with a mount? 

- I believe Andrew is correct in this regard.  Lenses with more character produce better results, or maybe more "filmic" results.- Which lens are we speaking about?

yes you can use many old 35mm camera lenses on the GH3 with an adaptor

I use

Contax N Mount

Milnolta M mount

Canon FD mount

Pentax K mount

Contax Yashica mount

Fujinon x mount

ENG B4 Mount

M42 mount

Praktica B Mount

Canon EF Mount

etc etc

all work on the GH3 in fully manual mode

you set the f stop and focus yourself

Andy,

I'm curious to get your opinion on some lens questions if you're open to it (or anyone else for that matter.

2) If one was to use old manual 35mm slr film lenses for the GH3 do you think the Canon FD line is the best to go with considering price, quality and adaptability to m43? For example, I have a few old Pentax K mount lenses but wasn't sure if there were issues adapting this to m43.

I use alot of Canon FD mount lenses by Canon and Sigma they are very sharp and good

Pentax too some of the Takumar lanses are very good ,

The Asahi Pentax 50mm f1.7 is a very very sharp lens ! 

Thanks everyone for their feedback.

I'll probably first get an affordable adaptor for my Pentax K mount lenses (28mm, 40mm pancake, 50mm, 135mm) and see how they work before buying any other old glass, or more expensive adapters.

I looked up on ebay the Canon FD 50mm and 85mm 1.2 L...both are very expensive ($700-1100). However, there look to be other affordable deals for there other FD lenses.

Still, the Voigtlander beckons...

I use alot of Canon FD mount lenses by Canon and Sigma they are very sharp and good

Pentax too some of the Takumar lanses are very good ,

The Asahi Pentax 50mm f1.7 is a very very sharp lens ! 

Great to hear. Lucky for me I have that exact 50mm lens.

Any suggestions for an adapter for K mount to mft?

Konica AR 40mm/1.8 is a very useful lens on gh2

I like it it have a cool looking flare to it (sometimes it rainbows! )

Sigma 24mm f2.8 is a great lens I like alot

Minolta 45mm f2 is nice and sharp

Minolta 24-35 f3.5 is a great very sharp useful lens on a panasonic

Gracias compadres for the great suggestions.

As I'm starting from scratch (or starting over - I haven't shot moving images since using my Canon 814 and Bauer Super8 cameras about 8 years ago) I'll put energy next into trying to figure out:

1) camera rig setup for handheld shooting

2) tripod

3) computer to edit

4) editing software (I cut my teeth on Avid Film/Media composer but now have no idea what the best option for editing and color correction would be. I was surprised to discover that Adobe Premiere has a good reputation now. Ha.)