RED PRICING Important Announcement

FilmMan

[size=5][color=#ff0000][b]A RED POST:[/b][/color][/size]
[color=#000000][size=4][b]Eric Von Schulz[/b][/size][/color]
[i][url="http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?88226-Red-Ruined-my-Life"]http://www.reduser.net/forum/showthread.php?88226-Red-Ruined-my-Life[/url][/i]

[indent][i]I was going to buy a BlackMagic Cinema camera. But delay after delay kept disappointing me. Then Jim went crazy and reduced the price of everything.

So about 3 seconds after reading the announcement I tried to buy one of the cameras.
But nothing happened. I kept clicking over the red.com and nothing.

Holy Crap. Everyone is buying up these cameras and I am stuck in clicking hell.
Finally after a few minutes I get in.

There it is.. Two versions. Red One CF and Red one with SSD.
Which do I get? A few seconds later. SSD is more expensive option for same price I will get that one.

Done ordered.. Paid for.

Holy double crap I need things for it now..
Massive Ebay and red forum hunt ensues..
Found awesome deals.. Still waiting on confirmation on a monitor. More stress until I here back from him. If you are reading this.. PM me and let’s make our deal.

In the end..

Red One camera 4,000
Nikon Mount
5” LCD monitor
AC adapter
Batteries/ Charger
SSD drive
Red rails
Cables, Arm
Total 1,800

5,800 I now have a camera that would have cost me over 25,000 just hours before and I was not even considering it due to it’s high cost.

I already own the best Nikon Glass on earth plus incredible sound gear.
Just needed a high end 2.5K or 4K cam.

So a sleepless night and unnecessary worrying didn’t totally ruin my life. But I think I am going to wake up tomorrow and this will all had been a dream.

Somebody pinch me.. [/i][/indent]

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
I was never a fan of Red's way of doing business, their arrogance or their fan boys, but seriously, with a RED One at $4000 why would anyone buy and keep waiting for v1 of the Blackmagic Design camera? These will probably sell out pretty quick, but if RED could somehow continue making them at this price, things would seriously change in the camera business!

[quote name='Bruno' timestamp='1351997916' post='20984']
I was never a fan of Red's way of doing business, their arrogance or their fan boys, but seriously, with a RED One at $4000 why would anyone buy and keep waiting for v1 of the Blackmagic Design camera? These will probably sell out pretty quick, but if RED could somehow continue making them at this price, things would seriously change in the camera business!
[/quote]
I think you're absolutely right for the most part. But allow me to play devils advocate for a second. The BMCC may still be desirable for a few reasons. First, The RED one is pretty large and heavy. Not really something you can easily shoot hand held Like the BMCC. I was once on a shoot with some friends where we had a RED one on a dolly. There was a particular shot where the DP said he was going to shoot hand held.... Yeah... That didn't happen. Second thing is that the RED media cost is ludicrous. A 256BGB SSD drive costs $2,450! Here on earth, a kingston 256GB SSD drive costs about $200-$260 for the BMCC. And it doesn't stop there. RED peripherals just cost an arm and a leg. Just check out RED.com and shop for a display or even just a simple battery. BMCC can use fairly inexpensive off the shelf components. And really, you don't [i]need[/i] much more then a battery solution and SSD to shoot with a BMCC. With RED, even minor things will cost you. It's kind of like buying a Ferrari for cheap.

Other then that though, the RED one is an awesome camera and I had to think long and hard when I saw the price drop. I still want to give the BMCC a chance though.

I think in less than a year BMCC will release their 4K camera version seeing how much hype they have accumulated, and probably for about $6K - tempted, but all thıs 4K marketıng ıs beıng rushed lıke a devıl's pool.

BMC can't make cameras fast enough right now
I think a 4k BMC will be many many years away
they have major issues right now with the sensors being defective !
where are they going to get a 4k sensor from -
surely NOT the same suppier of their current sensor as its has caused all these delays!

If REd can keep selling cameras at this price point I'm sure many 3rd party accessories will start showing up.
There wasn't any cheap rods and matte box solution until DSLRs started to be used for video, then suddenly we got hundreds of rigs and all sorts of accessories for close to nothing.

Can't you use any HDMI monitor with the RED? It comes with at least one SSD, though it might be small, and not sure about using 3rd party batteries either. But yes, accessories are definitely more expensive, but it's a different beast we're talking about here, and definitely a much lower risk investment!