Prototype Metabones Speed Booster equipped NEX 7 *VS* full frame (5D Mark III)

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I'm just blown away that this technology even exists. This is something that should just be built into all small sensor cameras right? I mean, wouldn't it be great if the Black magic cinema camera just had something like this built into the camera? Just before the lens mount? Why not?

conspiracy.

nikon canon all the others old world ideas of market segmentation.

different sensors different markets many products rather than fewer.

why would canon make it rather than a camera.

they wanna sell the car not an add on.

this is good because at least it is an idea a good one designers have been paid for expertise no theft well maybe nikon will check patents canon and olympus as well it is stepping on toes so maybe a bit of patent push back.

the concept is old so patent design work will exist elsewhere.

Well... This is Just great as I have so much Canon glass. I was going to buy a wide angle zoom for my coming BMCC and suddenly instead this adaptor comes out and all my full frame lenses work just fine for a little more price I was going to spend. Then with the increase of speed BMCC will also get great low light performance and sharpness not achievable before.

My second use will be on my X-E1 that now will became an even more incredible performer for sharpness and low light performance. Great.

This is not going to make me a better photographer or film maker but will improve my toolset very much

Would the M/43 version be able to achieve the same 1.07x crop factor when using FF lenses? If so I'm buying me a GH3 a.s.a.p.  Being able to achieve FF DOF on a M/43 camera would be amazing. Also, wouldn't the light hitting the sensor be even more concentrated on the M/43 sensor if using this adapter? 

If black magic made an e-mount version of the bmcc, then this very adapter would make it essentially a super 35mm camera.   As the crop factor of the bmcc compared to super 35 is 1.6

They already make a M4/3 version and this adapter will be available soon for that mount.  It'll make the BMCC 7D sized almost exactly.

They're only talking about the same squeeze factor right now for the various mounts but hopefully they'll expand on this so that ultimately you can pick a size that hits as close as possible to the full 36mm being represented on your smaller aperture sensor.

As excited as I am to get one of these for my GH2 I'm also excited to see the first RED or Alexa feature eventually shot with one.

This changes everything. People will be shooting awesome films, getting into Sundance, and getting 3 picture deals left and right.

Is that your own ultimate goal in life perhaps !? Your left and right 3 " picture " deals were turned down lately ?

You are welcome to share your objections or negative comments about the " item " and even opinions about the items here. Assuming all commentators as fools is just being fu*&&^%&king rude

Not everybody share your level of ambitions. Some, may even try harder than you  to get to Sundance and try many things including just another adaptor. If you are a true " picture " maker, while you are witnessing this positive energy for the hopes of better picture making you should share some wisdom with your subjects your holeyness ( typo intended )

Now get back to your lonely life of quest for the Sundance. Let me guess ; all three of them were in slashers category. LOL

I'm usually not a very positive guy (being from Finland and all) but this is just an awesome piece of invention. I always wondered why lenses on cropped sensors couldn't really be faster than f1.4 or why no one build them like that. I mean, you can make an f1.4 lens on a fullframe, why not the same lens as an f1.0 on a cropped sensor, because the only thing you need to do is tighten the output circle.

And here it is. Someone did it. Someone else than a lens manufacturer.

I wonder if this adapter can be stacked with others for manual lenses?

For example:

NEX   --(metabones)-->   EF   --(simple)-->   FD

Yes, but not from EF to FD. The latter has a shorter register distance.

This all will work with a little piece of metal:

EF > Nikon F

EF > Leica R

EF > M42
EF > Olympus OM

EF > Pentax K

And more.. basically look at this list: http://www.graphics.cornell.edu/~westin/misc/mounts-by-register.html

Everything that comes after Canon EOS you can use with an adapter on the EF mount.

If black magic made an e-mount version of the bmcc, then this very adapter would make it essentially a super 35mm camera.   As the crop factor of the bmcc compared to super 35 is 1.6

They already make a M4/3 version and this adapter will be available soon for that mount.  It'll make the BMCC 7D sized almost exactly.

They're only talking about the same squeeze factor right now for the various mounts but hopefully they'll expand on this so that ultimately you can pick a size that hits as close as possible to the full 36mm being represented on your smaller aperture sensor.

As excited as I am to get one of these for my GH2 I'm also excited to see the first RED or Alexa feature eventually shot with one.

Ive just worked it out.  with a full frame to mft it will make the bmcc APS-H.   Metabones will squeeze the full frame image to the full image circle of micro four thirds which is utilised by the gh2 in its 16:9 mode.  And the crop factor between bmcc and gh2 16:9 is 1.205.  The crop factor between full frame and aps-h is 1.254.   Hopefully you're right that they will make different "squeeze" options.

They won't make different magnification factors, read the white paper. Everything will be 0,71x. So on the BMCC you'll get a 1,6x crop.

By the way, the metabones website now lists different prices. $399 for Leica R to Fujifilm X or Sony NEX.

I'd be more interested in Nikon F or dumb Canon EOS (easier to adapt other lenses) for the same price though.

On Facebook I asked when the M43 version is expected, they replied 'hopefully this year'... I hear march a lot, but what is the source of that?

Btw.. I just thought of another advantage to the Speed Booster: It'll be easer to do a quick 'switch' of lenses with anamorphic, without the need to realign the anamorphic lens or remove the clamp. Just add or remove the Booster to switch between standard/wide if you're working with a 50mm :)

Btw.. I just thought of another advantage to the Speed Booster: It'll be easer to do a quick 'switch' of lenses with anamorphic, without the need to realign the anamorphic lens or remove the clamp. Just add or remove the Booster to switch between standard/wide if you're working with a 50mm :)

Genius ! I have been doing this with my taking lens permanently attached to anamorphic and just remove the set from the GH2. Of course I had to buy extra aspherical lenses for non- anamorphic shots.

Your idea is going to save me bundle when the BMCC-mft comes out. Additionally instead of 35mm aspherical w can shoot through all those fast and beautiful 50mm and 80mm.

This is not the dead of full frame. Metabones aren´t cheap. The EF to Nex adapter cost about 500usd. How much this one would cost? 700?
1000 USD camera + 700 adapter cost almost a full frame one...  (If you buy a 5d mkii is the same price...)

But the adapter is a huge step if you have some good full frame lens and want a new small body (to travel, etc...)

Metabones is not that expensive.  The Speed booster is $400 in adapters without electronics, and $600 with electronics (EF needs electronics to change aperture).