Jump to content

A new Super 16 Cinema Cam: the GoPro Mission 1 Pro ILS?


John Matthews
 Share

Recommended Posts

18 minutes ago, PPNS said:

i think the meike 8mm was super nice but consider getting laowas 6mm or 7.5mm if you want such a wide fov. They’re just so much smaller and lighter 

I have heard good things about the Laowas, but my experience with the Meike cinema line and the Metabones 0.64 speed booster is that they have excellent performance that would work well with the high resolutions and the smaller sensor.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Damn. After playing with the 7artisan 10mm, this camera looks so good. The electronic IBIS is working wonderfully and you don't hear any audio weirdness like with normal IBIS sometimes. The colors when you put the Log into FilmConvert are great IMO.

1185150934_Screenshot2026-10-07at19_13_26.thumb.png.c278288b611ff428d0bf6147705f4839.png1536921124_Screenshot2026-10-07at19_17_02.thumb.png.70349c33a338ff74be56593a13bd754a.png

1309776716_Screenshot2026-10-07at19_15_37.thumb.png.92a40f45ac3f66d8b915799f0ef8e800.png869561533_Screenshot2026-10-07at19_18_15.thumb.png.45f84969193086a03826d364dfe506ce.png

About the 10mm, it's not perfect. For starters, there was quite a bit of play in the mount. I fixed it with a little electrical tape. However, it's super easy to focus and quite fun. The image seems quite sharp too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

A few more thoughts on the ILS...

Here's a 4k shot of my balcony solar panels. I really thought I could make some moiré with this. Not the case, at least not in the 4:3 4k mode. Everything is hand-held with the E-stab on.

1511537732_Screenshot2026-10-10at06_15_31.thumb.png.ca53375506d3cc2fac8ef8af549940cd.png

For DR in GoPro Log2, it seems to be living up to their claims 14 stops.

1983800297_Screenshot2026-10-10at06_16_08.thumb.png.2291bfc2e963a14937e55ec2739e9137.png

When it does clip, this is what it looks like:

1065885114_Screenshot2026-10-10at06_16_38.thumb.png.ff4a4a83540612d61a01d917dd6095f0.png

Personally, I can live with this. I have a FilmConvert Hazy plugin to smoothen out some of that harshness on the clouds:

875453881_Screenshot2026-10-10at06_26_45.thumb.png.ae7fb989b1cdab16feebf29333e99832.png

This was all done rather quickly and could have been better, I'm sure.

Here, I cranked up the shadows just to see what it would look like.

2054285469_Screenshot2026-10-10at06_30_34.thumb.png.9331de43ff0d78f8a991da975370fc65.png

I might run it up against my S9 just because I'm curious.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Went for a walk this morning. I was able to make a short video:

Sorry for the music. Everything is hand-held. Shot it at various frame rates. Most everthing shot in GoPro Log 2 (the slow-mo shots are in Natural) and plopped into a timeline for cutting and added FilmConvert with the GoPro Mission 1 Pro and GoPro Log 2 profile. No grain was applied. Anyway, you'll get an idea of the colors, electronic stab, etc.

I also wanted to say that I was able to update the ILS to the GoPro Labs firmware and use a QR code for putting a super-helpful histogram (better than the Lumix one on the GX800).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • EOSHD Pro Color 5 for All Sony cameras
    EOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
    EOSHD Dynamic Range Enhancer for H.264/H.265
×
×
  • Create New...