Sony A7R II official user thread

Andrew Reid

The solution of course is for me to shoot in NTSC at 24p, which would be fine for 4K, but whenever I want to shoot a slo-mo clip I'm now shooting at 60p, which does not divide into 24 evenly, creating some noticeable transcoding artifacts when you try to output the footage at 24p.

? It doesn't have to divide evenly when slowing down material. Just play the 60fps file back at 24.  Show all the frames 100%, no dividing, skipping or blending required.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

One thing I wish the A7R2 had was a 48p 1080 recording option.  Let me elaborate..

Normally I want to shoot at 25p in 4K for a cinematic look.  But occasionally if I want to shoot something in slo-mo I'll go down to 1080p so I can capture a clip at 50p, which allows me to slow it down to half speed and have the framerate match the rest of my footage.

However tonight I ran into a problem with this approach.  I live in North America (LA) and thus our fluorescent lights run at 60Hz.  When shooting inside my friend's house I saw a super noticeable strobing effect on all the footage I shot in his kitchen where the fluorescent lights are.

The solution of course is for me to shoot in NTSC at 24p, which would be fine for 4K, but whenever I want to shoot a slo-mo clip I'm now shooting at 60p, which does not divide into 24 evenly, creating some noticeable transcoding artifacts when you try to output the footage at 24p.

Since the camera can obviously shoot at 50p or 60p in 1080, why not give us the option of shooting at 48p so we have even multiplier of 24?

Apologies if I missing some obvious solution to this problem.. help me out here

why not shoot 60 and slow down to 40% ?

One thing I wish the A7R2 had was a 48p 1080 recording option.  Let me elaborate..

Normally I want to shoot at 25p in 4K for a cinematic look.  But occasionally if I want to shoot something in slo-mo I'll go down to 1080p so I can capture a clip at 50p, which allows me to slow it down to half speed and have the framerate match the rest of my footage.

However tonight I ran into a problem with this approach.  I live in North America (LA) and thus our fluorescent lights run at 60Hz.  When shooting inside my friend's house I saw a super noticeable strobing effect on all the footage I shot in his kitchen where the fluorescent lights are.

Since the camera can obviously shoot at 50p or 60p in 1080, why not give us the option of shooting at 48p so we have even multiplier of 24?

Apologies if I missing some obvious solution to this problem.. help me out here

Would shooting at 48p solve the flickering issue?  I doubt that it would.   Just shoot 60p and conform to the 24p timeline as hmcindie said.  The only difference will be that it is slightly slower slow motion.