Dedicated GPU back on Macbook Pro's

mtheory

In an interesting reversal, Apple just brought back dedicated GPUs to Macbook Pro ( AMD Radeon R9 M370X ). Very good news for DSLR photographers and filmmakers, performance should get a massive increase to iMac levels in FCPX and Resolve, where it rightfully should be.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Not sure what you mean? When I was looking a few weeks ago, the Macbook Pro did already have a dedicated video card (the Geforce 750 M).

The move to Radeon seems like a poor choice to me as the CUDA cores of Nvidia are more widely supported

​More OpenCl support is coming, no one wants to deal with a closed code if open CL works on all GPUs. Also AMD cards score much higher in OpenCl.

In an interesting reversal, Apple just brought back dedicated GPUs to Macbook Pro ( AMD Radeon R9 M370X ). Very good news for DSLR photographers and filmmakers, performance should get a massive increase to iMac levels in FCPX and Resolve, where it rightfully should be.

​Don't like Macs, don't use one, so this news isn't relevant to me. Am I still a photographer/videographer? :P

​Don't like Macs, don't use one, so this news isn't relevant to me. Am I still a photographer/videographer? :P

​Are you?

@​Inazuma : you're right, I was under the impression that Iris Pro graphics are the highest you can go. And agree about Radeon, always thought that Nvidia Quadro M cards should've been present in MBP's, but Apple was probably too greedy to cut down their margins and shell out money on pro graphics cards.

​But I did not know Macbook Pro can use GPU, did I misunderstand something?

What do you guys think will be faster benchmark-wise? The new iMac 5k retina or the top of the line MacBook Pro 15" with discrete GPU? 

​Unless they messed up something, the iMac should be faster!

I must say I edit LX100 4K files on my Macbook Pro without any problem! The other day I handed a GoPro 2 file, 1080p25 MP4 to a guy with an i7, 16Gb RAM pc notebook and it played stuttering....... 

The move to Radeon seems like a poor choice to me as the CUDA cores of Nvidia are more widely supported

I've had maxed out 27" builds of the last three iterations of the iMac, and the latest 5k Mac, with the AMD Radeon R9 M295X 4GB GDDR5, absolutely screams by comparison. I'm not sure officially how the latest Nvidia mobile graphics card stacks up, but from a everyday editor's perspective, I don't miss CUDA. My station edits everything faster, including REDCODE, without hiccups.

@Kubrickian - Being that the iMac guts are all mobile tech, it's basically a suped-up MacBook Pro anyway, with twice the RAM and GPU. Even with slightly faster SSD speeds (and not having to drive a 5k panel), I'm not certain I foresee a MacBook Pro having any speed advantage, simply due to a reversion back to Nvidia*. With full support and integration with accelerator engines like Mercury, OpenCL works too well, right now.

*I'd be happy to be wrong though. =]