modern mirrorless cams image feels thin

zlfan

from the footage i view online, latest mirrorless cams behave very similar to gp12, good resolution, sharp, can be colorful when do heavy grading, but feels thin, when comparing to cinema cams like f3. to be fair, i use cp2 50mm macro, itself alone may be several times more expensive than gp12, but still f3 image feels thick and enriched, like painting. good lens may play a big role here, but maybe something else also kick in. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

for the modern mirrorless, i think gp12 is mature enough for me to buy one. unless gp has new cams with  internal raw recording, i am happy with gp12 and will not upgrade for a long time. 

g9 ii is nice, but not as refined as om1, in terms of build quality and ibis. om1 still lacks in several major aspects: 

1. buffer size, 120 fps can only do 1 sec. at least 2 secs recording buffer is useful. 

2. hdmi raw out is cropped 4k. should be full frame 6k raw out. this is probably the biggest gripe for me. although the buffer size is equally concerning. 

3. limited information about the internal 4k recording, is it subsampled or supersampled 4k, like r5c, etc? if so, the 4k iq is good enough, no need for 6k internal recording. otherwise, 6k internal is needed. also, internal 4k is only 60p, it would be nice to go 120p, as om1 can do 120p electronic shutter, and it is stacked cmos sensor. 

if om1 mk2 can improve on these aspects, i will buy it without any reservation. 

other mirrorless cams, they may be good, but i like my f3 or r1mx better, either on tripod or shoulder mount.  

To be fair, gp12 footage is more resistant to heavy post grading than af100. Not sure why, maybe high resolution helps? So to speak, modern mirrorless cams have their advantages too. But may not be so when compared to F3 and R1MX, because both of them can go through heavy post without much sweat, especially r1mx. For F3, internal painting is so powerful, little is needed for post, i.e., there is not much maneuver room for post. 

until now, all of votes on my youtube channel are for gp12. this means that image quality is a package, including stabilization; 60p for smooth panning, especially when codec is thin; high resolution; some color grading; beautiful scenes or models; beautiful songs or music. 

i am sure r1mx and f3 can do better, as demonstrated by hollywood level blockbuster features, but they need sturdy and heavy tripods, steadicams with jacket and arm, dollies, jibs, heavy duty glides, experienced dps and colorists, etc. they are truly for cinema settings. 

27 minutes ago, zlfan said:

you mean that guy who cheated some one here on board? i don't want to sell you my selected cameras. i want to hold them until in my cold hands. lol. 

Maybe Andrew could check the IP addresses and answer that. Your knowledge is amazing. How did you know about the infamous doctor? 

i knew andrew's website well before this forum. i checked his updates on new cams long time ago, maybe 15 years passed by already. just have not registered on the forum until recently. sometimes it is fun to talk online. people throw all kinds of suspicions on you when they don't like your arguments. i think the other guy who supports 60p has burned out because he may never expect that he will be attacked due to his rich financial status. funny world. lol. 

13 hours ago, PannySVHS said:

I was also intrigued by the reply mentioning the doctor and his nephew in the human body of one person.:) @sanveer But I assume someone else being our 60p afficiando. Well:)

I've been on this forum for qiote a while (5-10 years?). And I did notice his movement on a few other forums too (dpreview among a few). 

I was curious because something  seemed strangely similar.

I could imagine someone else behind this very recent alias. I would hope I am wrong. We had a member, well meaning and with real name, very energetic and with some difficulties staying calm about some of his quests and persisting on his suggestions, which were sometimes adventerous and sometimey beyond limits, such as mounting a 2/3 zoom on a Apsc camera. But he was never being rude or denouncing others such as greats of cinematography like Roger Deakins. To do the latter has been a low point of this forum.

So my assumption should be and hopefully is wrong. Who knows by whom we have been kept busy in these akward ways.

7 hours ago, sanveer said:

More like grandfather/grand-uncle. Almost seemed like some legacy business 🤣

oh that's right, it was skipping a generation, was a teenager and a grandfather 

(if you even believe it was two people behind that account, and not just one. I think the "two people are using this account" was just a way to excuse the lies they got trapped in)

13 hours ago, IronFilm said:

oh that's right, it was skipping a generation, was a teenager and a grandfather 

(if you even believe it was two people behind that account, and not just one. I think the "two people are using this account" was just a way to excuse the lies they got trapped in)

What was sad, was that he got away with it.