2023 In Review - How Did Your Year Go?

herein2020

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
8 hours ago, PannySVHS said:

I really enjoyed your material and quality you achieved as a dp. The editing imo does not show that to the fullest potential. Editing reels is a pretty thing and art by itself, of course. Your cinematography still shines through. @PPNS

thank you. i dont disgree, i think reels are hard to do, and im not sure what to do with them other than combining a bunch of pretty stuff in a timespan that doesn’t bore people.

2 hours ago, PPNS said:

i think reels are hard to do, and im not sure what to do with them other than combining a bunch of pretty stuff in a timespan that doesn’t bore people

Yep.

At the end of every season, I keep saying to myself this will be the year I trawl through the dozens of productions I have made that year, making notes which clips to then hunt for and then splice it all together to make some whizz bang promo that all those folks with the attention spans of goldfish, will be falling over themselves to contact and book me over.

Never happens.

I then get some inspired thought about editing it to a specific track...and then remember it's copyright protected and I don't have the BBC or Hollywood budget to spend on licensing it.

And I am just a lazy arse in my off season...

Maybe next year...

22 hours ago, PPNS said:

thank you. i dont disgree, i think reels are hard to do, and im not sure what to do with them other than combining a bunch of pretty stuff in a timespan that doesn’t bore people.

A resume isn't meant to be a page-turner.  It's a document built for a purpose.

This is the same.

This doesn't mean it shouldn't be interesting, but if the sound design isn't that great then that's not the point of the video, unless you're trying to get hired to do that.  IIRC I've seen colourist reels without any sound at all, but I might be wrong about that.