Red One MX vs Red Epic Dragon - my personal opinion

Ed_David

After now doing about 6 jobs on the Red Epic Dragon and about 28 jobs on the Red One MX the more I see that the Red One MX’s motion cadence in slo motion feels better.  Also the Red One MX has better heat dissipation and multiple hd-sdi out connectors which is very useful.  Also line and mic in options via xlr.  Also the colorspace of Red MX doesn’t seem too much different than Red Dragon - definitely not enough to justify the $30,000 price difference.  

I feel that the Red Dragon definitely has nicer highlight roll off - that is for sure - and less boot up times and higher frame rates and the ability to shoot full frame - but is it enough to justify the $30000 price difference?  That's a lot of money that could go towards lighting, lenses, etc.

To me, not really as an owner.  To rent, sure - why not get a camera that is better and is only $500 a day more to rent.  And further proof that owning a new camera is not smart.  Just buy an older camera, figure out it’s quirks and flaws and strengths and go from there.  Learn how to light, compose, and grade better.  No matter how good your shoes are, you still will only get better at basketball if you practice.  Same with cinematography.  

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Learn how to light, compose, and grade better.  No matter how good your shoes are, you still will only get better at basketball if you practice.  Same with cinematography.  

​I'm part of the choir, preacher; lost my strong desire for gear ownership years ago.  Couldn't see the point of it at the level I'm at. 

To keep your metaphor going:  I just need to practice my fade away jump shot because too many of my videos have been clanging off the rim lately.  

It's like audio gear, cars, etc. One can always spend more, with linear returns in quality for exponential increase in cost. If one doesn't need slomo or higher than 1080p, 5D ML RAW is more than sufficient. For 4K, GH4, NX1, A7S can be sufficient. For slomo and 4K, FS700+7Q is a deal (and FS7 too). In the higher end, Alexa Mini looks great.

I do think Ed's post reflects a time that's been a long time coming, has arrived, but some may not have adapted to it yet.  And ics is right on target too. 

Basically, the gear is beyond good enough and it's so cheap that anyone from almost any economic class can acquire one.

Let's be honest.  If you have the chops you could make a smartphone movie as artistic as anything out there.  Maybe not likely, but possible.  

In the past with video equipment, having a new gear really could make significant difference.  Investing in that gear was cost prohibitive for beginners.  These days, since just about anyone can afford the stuff, the only thing that's really going to make significantly noticeable improvement to a video production is one's skill and artistic level.

Yes, the pros will always have better cameras and lenses and many will covet that rare exclusivity.  However, the divide between low and high is now, practically speaking, indistinguishable.

If I had a time machine I'd love to go back and drop a GM1, lens mounting adapters, and a laptop on Kubrick or Leone's production facility's front door and let them have at it.  Something tells me they and their crew would do alright.

I do think Ed's post reflects a time that's been a long time coming, has arrived, but some may not have adapted to it yet.  And ics is right on target too. 

Basically, the gear is beyond good enough and it's so cheap that anyone from almost any economic class can acquire one.

Let's be honest.  If you have the chops you could make a smartphone movie as artistic as anything out there.  Maybe not likely, but possible.  

In the past with video equipment, having a new gear really could make significant difference.  Investing in that gear was cost prohibitive for beginners.  These days, since just about anyone can afford the stuff, the only thing that's really going to make significantly noticeable improvement to a video production is one's skill and artistic level.

Yes, the pros will always have better cameras and lenses and many will covet that rare exclusivity.  However, the divide between low and high is now, practically speaking, indistinguishable.

If I had a time machine I'd love to go back and drop a GM1, lens mounting adapters, and a laptop on Kubrick or Leone's production facility's front door and let them have at it.  Something tells me they and their crew would do alright.

​HECK YEA.  The proof is that a favorite film at the Sundance Film Festival this year was shot on a iphone with an anamorphic lens adapter - and no one knew.  It even got good reviews from critics on its cinematography!  That is it.  We hit it.  

Now it's like writing.  Anyone can buy a pen and paper - and have been for so long.  Now it takes actual skill and experience to make something meaningfull.

True. I also think that it takes a while, longer than people think, before one's skills outgrow even something as modest as a 7D or GH2. 

​Yup! Sometimes I wonder why I even purchased any more other cameras after my Panasonic GH1....  it is still a fine camera!

I think next wedding season I might simply just go with 5x GH1, would make my life easier to have them all match too.