KineMINI 4K goes full frame with modified Speedbooster

mtheory

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Nice job, I wonder if he could do the same with the NX mount.

​The throat diameter on the NX mount is 42mm.  The RJ focal reducer for my EOSM has a rear element that is around 30mm in diameter, and it "converts" APS-C to near full frame, just like the OP's hacked Metabones speed booster.

So, assuming the rear element of the Metabones adapter has a similar diameter to my RJ  adapter, the Metabones could be modified  to fit inside an NX mount, with a little room to spare.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Nice job, I wonder if he could do the same with the NX mount.

​It seems Richard Gale from the forum is the one that made the modification for the KineMini, so I believe he would be the one to answer on the technical possibility for an nx1 version. Rich?

• Administrators

Ah yes it was indeed. Would love to hear what Rich says about the mod.

Here she is not quite rigged up but the 1D C is ready to provide some competition :)

Very impressed with the changes they've made over the old Mini so far. 4K image looks amazing and the camera is 10x more responsive. Much nicer feel to the all important command joystick and record buttons too. Start up time has been more than halved, down to 20 secs.

More pics... https://www.storehouse.co/stories/r3hpj-kinemini-4k

DSC_0243b.jpg

Ah yes..  The kini booster ultra.  

The lovely Rob Bannister sent over a squeaky clean speed booster ultra and the sub-pl to adaptor that kinifinity provide for the camera.  from there I could equate what distances need to be adhered to in order for optimal results.   it was just a case of machining a sub pl mount to bolt to the back of the speed booster.

Unfortunately the time involved in the job was quite a lot and since Rob has been a friend and regular customer of dso I did it mates rates as a bit of a challenge.  what with the nx1 being very popular, metabones are almost certainly working on a solution as we speak.  For me to undertake another one, the price gets high due to the initial cost of the speed booster as well as labour.  some have asked for me to do the mod to cheaper speed booster copies, however due to the way they;re made, it makes it actually less simple to modify.

If Rob or Andrew wanted to rally a group of 10 people who might want to go for a kini booster, it would take prices down drastically and i could just cnc a user fitted sub pl coupling which will fit straight onto the e-mount to ef mount speed booster.

yes, Andrew having all those anamorphic adapters you were once showing off to us once upon a time :D could you please find time to shoot some 2x anamorphic with the new 4:3 update. I do believe you'd be the first to do it and demonstrate the Kinimini if you did. Looking forward to your review many thanks!

• 4 months later...

I wonder if they have purchased a load of speed booster ultra's to get the optics from them?  I'd hope so, since Robs ultra is an astounding optic, and assuming it were being used on the kinemax it'll deliver amazing resolution onto that 6k sensor!

new Kinemax 6K footage looks pretty damn great to me. Apparently some of this was shot with the new speed booster.  Really wish these cameras would come stateside so some kind of following and discussion groups could get going. Kinecommunity is a complete ghost town.

I wonder if they have purchased a load of speed booster ultra's to get the optics from them?  I'd hope so, since Robs ultra is an astounding optic, and assuming it were being used on the kinemax it'll deliver amazing resolution onto that 6k sensor!

I designed the ULTRA Speed Booster optics, and work with partners to manufacture the optical subassembly.  Currently our only customer for ULTRA optics is Metabones.  I expect that Kinefinity is sourcing cheaper glass from another company.

I designed the ULTRA Speed Booster optics, and work with partners to manufacture the optical subassembly.  Currently our only customer for ULTRA optics is Metabones.  I expect that Kinefinity is sourcing cheaper glass from another company.

It's unfortunate since I know just how amazing that ultra glass is.  I was gonna go ahead and make some user installed subpl-e-mount adaptors so kine users could use the Ultra on their cameras.  Decided not to since kinefinity started offering theirs. Maybe it's still worth it.  

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

I designed the ULTRA Speed Booster optics, and work with partners to manufacture the optical subassembly.  Currently our only customer for ULTRA optics is Metabones.  I expect that Kinefinity is sourcing cheaper glass from another company.​

Mr. Brian, I'd like to take the opportunity to ask and I hope you'd give up insight on a certain technical subject. Would it be technically possible optically to produce a focal reducer that reduces the image circle of a Medium format lens to a Full Frame format? Especially on a camera with a small 18mm flange distance like Sony A7 series. Or there a technical limitation on how large image circles can be reduced? 

​Hi Brian, welcome to the forum, - can we expect a Speed Booster for the Ursa Mini in the near future? :)