Nikon D750 features "flippy screen" technology (and we're supposed to be excited about that?)

Andrew Reid

It doesn't work like that, you can't cherry pick one video and ask to compare it against the average output of other camera's. Otherwise GoPro would have Arri by the short and curlies right now, what with the hero 3 black being used in features and edited into Arri footage.

What it shows  is that it is not the camera which is the limiting factor, if you have the eye of the people who did it you can achieve such quality. For this example there was no Hollywood gear and budget (like the other Nikon d810 promo video) and the camera shows high resolution, high to very DR, no moire/aliasing and no disturbing rolling shutter. I think they said that did not even use an external recorder.

We would not have dreamt to get this high quality imagery with even the possibility of high prores bitrate for these type of prices 3 years ago. But people just complain because it is so much easier to criticize the tool than the craftsmen. The same thing for photography, since about 2007 (d300/d3/d700/5dmark 2 etc), no photographer can say that it is the camera which is the limiting factor. If you cannot take a good photo with one of these camera, then you will never be able with any camera. You also get as a bonus the best ever photographic camera of all time. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators

What it shows  is that it is not the camera which is the limiting factor, if you have the eye of the people who did it you can achieve such quality.

Did you just recently realise this? Please avoid stating the obvious on the forum from now on, it's supposed to be a knowledge base.

You have to be put this in perspective dude.

The 5D Mark III cured moire and aliasing like the D810 but nearly 3 years ago. The A7S also is very clean. You can now buy an A7S with a Nikon lens adapter and shoot with all the advantages that has, including S-LOG2, a 4K HDMI output and the best low light performance on the market, past ISO 3200 the A7S is far cleaner than a Red Epic, $30,000 Sony cinema camera or even an Arri Alexa.

So Nikon finally catching up on one tiny aspect of the image does not make the camera special or worth having over competing models, in my view.

I understand that this is very video centric website, but it also comprise of many hybrid shooters who are still photo and video shooters. If the D750 shows about the same quality as the D810, I would prefer to invest in it because of its versatility. I shot a lot of things with my D300 at 12 megapixel, but I don't see myself in todays world going for a paying gig where the uncle cell phone or entry level Nikon/Canon Dslr shoots 20/24 megapixel photos. If someone is purely in video, I understand why the A7S makes more sense. But it does not mean that the other HDslr don't have their place, when they can achieve as good of the quality of the promo video I posted above.

Just to put my point, Nikon D810, Familly video!!!!!!!!! done right. Very Terrence Malick, Tree of life

Now look at the promo video of the new Sony with the zombie skin tone.

This is a bit of an extreme example, but shows how it is not the tool anymore. I have to add that I did see much nicer video done by Den Lennie.

I understand that this is very video centric website, but it also comprise of many hybrid shooters who are still photo and video shooters.

I understand why the A7S makes more sense. But it does not mean that the other HDslr don't have their place, when they can achieve as good of the quality of the promo video I posted above.

A dSLR is as clumsy a choice for hybrid shooting as it is for pure video, if not even more so. Certain niches of photography may be a bit more dSLR-friendly. For now. If you're happy with your dSLR, good for you. No one is telling you to dump your beloved Nikon and adapt something else. If you fancy the new D750, by all means go and get one. Whatever floats your boat. 

Quite a few people have found the latest release(s) from Nikon rather underwhelming and pricey, that's just a simple fact. But if that doesn't include you, don't worry, no need to grab the pitchfork. Nothing is stopping you from using your Nikon gear as long as Nikon are still in business and making dSLR's, or until you kick off. Each to their own.

• Administrators

Just to put my point, Nikon D810, Familly video!!!!!!!!! done right. Very Terrence Malick, Tree of life

Now look at the promo video of the new Sony with the zombie skin tone.

This is a bit of an extreme example, but shows how it is not the tool anymore. I have to add that I did see much nicer video done by Den Lennie.

These kind of posts are really starting to annoy me.

You are pointing out the obvious. In this case a difference in grading and shooting methods. And then you admit yourself that it's 'not the tool' to some how justify your love affair with a mediocre tool you're intent on buying because it fits your needs.

It's not informative.

It isn't useful technically or even on the subject of cameras.

I can show you two different videos, one shot on an iPhone creatively and one shot on a Epic which turned out worse, so what.... It doesn't help people quantify the performance of one camera versus another, which is what this thread is about.

H.265 is coming, first encoding chips are already out there. I hope Nikon jumps the H.265 train and implement at least:

1) 422 10-bit

2) something similar to Sony's SLOG2

3) 4k

- With H.265, this could probably be done in a fairly compact bitrate while providing good grading quality.

What Nikon is currently doing is aiming full on at their core market of stills photographers. They add good enough video features to satisfy journalists who might need to capture video for web use. They are ok about not being at the higher end with video, as long as they can satisfy that little extra need a still photographer can have.

But boy, would it be interesting if they'd at least give a shot at *one* camera that'd be a hybrid video camera (Nikon is too much of a still photo company to make a camera not at least being 50% focused on stills in my opinion). With more cameras capable of full sensor readouts, with H.265, I find it hard to think that this would need to be such a huge task and a large gamble for them as a company. If they price it around the price of the higher end Nikon 1 systems, it'd probably interest consumers too.

Considering that even Olympus seems to be adding 4k to EM-1, I can only find the only reason for Nikon going their way is either management being convinced that they must keep on making *only* still photo cameras - or that they got some specific deals with Sony prohibiting them from catching up too much with Sony on the video side...

Finally, from a company that actually has a lineup with FIVE full frame sensor models, I would think they could at least give one video-centered model a try...

• Administrators

When Nikon do well I have in the past given them top marks, in the D5200 review for instance. Considering it arrived into a barren landscape, before the GH4, the A7S, any kind of affordable 4K, or raw on the 5D Mark III, it was a pretty nice option. Cheap, offering a better alternative to the GH3 in low-light, if not really in many other aspects.

The Nikon V1 I was positive about on the blog too. 60fps raw burst at 4K resolution was cutting edge technology, if only they had utilised that Aptina sensor in a more video orientated camera.

I just think they could be doing a lot better, so its frustrating not to see their full potential out there on the market and the sales are starting to reflect that.

Why would anybody shoot video on a D750 when they can get better performance with the same lenses for the same price on a Sony A7S? I am going to ask a Nikon rep exactly this question at Photokina and see if they can answer it, because I cannot!

Nikon should be leading this market, instead they are like Sony's poodle, eating their sensors, following their lead, sticking to the same old concept and product design, afraid to move an inch on their own. Where's the confidence? They need younger top management in Japan.

I understand that this is very video centric website, but it also comprise of many hybrid shooters who are still photo and video shooters. If the D750 shows about the same quality as the D810, I would prefer to invest in it because of its versatility. I shot a lot of things with my D300 at 12 megapixel, but I don't see myself in todays world going for a paying gig where the uncle cell phone or entry level Nikon/Canon Dslr shoots 20/24 megapixel photos.

Firstly, I think people are saying that there are better hybrids out there.

Secondly if you're trying to sell your services based on your gear's output you are in for a very hard time.

But boy, would it be interesting if they'd at least give a shot at *one* camera that'd be a hybrid video camera (Nikon is too much of a still photo company to make a camera not at least being 50% focused on stills in my opinion). With more cameras capable of full sensor readouts, with H.265, I find it hard to think that this would need to be such a huge task and a large gamble for them as a company. If they price it around the price of the higher end Nikon 1 systems, it'd probably interest consumers too.

This has been absolutely frustrating, because Nikon are also a company that have no incumbent video business. They could have just gone for it and established themselves in 2008, but they didn't. Even if the video market is 1/100th of the stills market it'd have been good for marketing and selling their other cameras.

They need younger top management in Japan.

In that line I think you've established why that is not going to happen.

Why would anybody shoot video on a D750 when they can get better performance with the same lenses for the same price on a Sony A7S? I am going to ask a Nikon rep exactly this question at Photokina and see if they can answer it, because I cannot!

Probably feedback they need to hear to get going. Make sure to mention SLOG, 10-bit color... :)

I did not. wow... guess I was wrong. I didnt think they would even turn a profit on the 750 after I read the release specs. 

I am a man and I can admit when I was wrong. if I have to. I guess. 

Interesting thread.

Now be honest fellas.  Which of you correctly forecasted the Nikon D750's Amazon sales rank...

25rclzo.jpg

Interesting thread.

Now be honest fellas.  Which of you correctly forecasted the Nikon D750's Amazon sales rank...

25rclzo.jpg

Me...... Do people here believe that this camera would not sell like hot cakes?

It perhaps the best all rounded full frame camera in the Nikon line up with what I will call the best resolution at 24 mega pixel compared to the overkill of the 36 Mp of the D800/D810.

The best Nikon autofocus on paper, the same or better that is used in NFL, NBA or champions league football. So event/wedding photographers will jump on it with very good ISO and class leading DR with about the same price of the D600 1.5 years ago. The same price that was considered revolutionary for a full frame camera not so long ago.

The only complain you will see from some Nikon shooters is that it is more a Nikon D650 than a true successor to the D700 because of its prosumer body and 6.5 fps compared to the 8 fps of the D700.

Now for video if this camera is as the D810 or even better as the Camerastore Youtube video. It would give you very sharp 1080p camera with no moire/aliasing, very good DR and Low light. You could add a $ 300 recorder to get high quality prores 422. All this for for only $ 2300. This camera will be the perfect companion to D800 shooters and will fulfill 90% of a normal Pro or enthusiast photographer and hybrid shooter.

I myself is looking closely to it because I could replace my second body Nikon D7100 with better video (if it is proven by review and has 60fps 1080p) with very good autofocus and move completely to full frame glass. It would serve 90% of my event shooting and I would use my D800 for advertising and fashion shoot.

• Administrators

Almost all new releases go to the top the moment they are put on sale.

Let's see how it is doing in a year.

That chart by the way is only DSLRs, no mirrorless in the mix like the A7 series, what DSLR were you expecting to see up there with the Canon and Nikons? A Pentax!?

Interesting thread.

25rclzo.jpg

Yes for sure any new camera will go on top at least for some days, but we know that cameras like the Canon Rebels and the Nikon D3300 series sells in the hundred of thousands if not in the million every year, so it is still quite substantial for a $2k + camera. What is more impressive is that the D810 is in the top five after 2 months. I don't know and I guess no one knows exactly until sales figures and their fiscal year numbers come in. But taking the example of someone above who said he did not believe they would even make a profit out of the D750, people should have a little common sense. This camera is going to sell in the tens if not hundred of thousand and Nikon will make like 5 to 10 times more margin on this than the D3300. Will it make them get back to 2012 numbers, I don't think so, but they will get a lot of money out of this.

• Administrators

I don't choose my tools based on Amazon popularity funnily enough.

By the way I tried the D750 at Photokina. Video seems ok for 1080p, but still not A7S level.

I tried the D810 and asked the Nikon person if video was better than D800. She said it was worse. I have it on tape, so make of that what you will. She reacted aggressively when I suggested she had the wrong info, and was adamant it was worse!! Suicidal or what?

I don't choose my tools based on Amazon popularity funnily enough.

By the way I tried the D750 at Photokina. Video seems ok for 1080p, but still not A7S level.

I tried the D810 and asked the Nikon person if video was better than D800. She said it was worse. I have it on tape, so make of that what you will. She reacted aggressively when I suggested she had the wrong info, and was adamant it was worse!! Suicidal or what?

LOL, sometime sales person are crazy.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

More details would be great. How is it worse than the A7s, in resolution? Dynamic range? Colour? Noise? Aliasing?
Did you see the footage on a screen or is this based on the camera's LCD? I am mildly interested in this camera given how I love Nikon images for some reason.