Samsung NX30 - better than a Panasonic G6?

Jodan

I was wondering if the new Samsung NX30 could be the better buy than the Panasonic G6.

It has many nice features and even uncompressed HDMI out. It has a the bigger sensor which should make shallow depth of field a little more affordable and it's price should drop quite quickly to the level of the G6.
Important to me: It seems to be region switchable and is capable of 30fps. That's something the G6 does not offer for us people in Germany.
It's EVF might be better than that of the G6 and from what can be read about the picture quality, it's said to be good to perfect (not my words). It also does 1080p60, has NFC and WIFI, it can be remote controlled with a tablet or smartphone, it has full control of external audio in, full manual video control, it also has focus peaking,... it just has MANY features that are what many of us are looking for.

Unfortunately there is no information about video quality anywhere - at least I couldn't find anything about it.

So I'm asking: Could the NX30 be a serious competitor of the G6.
The main reasons I care about this are the soon probably same or cheaper price, the bigger sensor and the 30fps.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Funnily enough the NX30 looks like it could be pretty good! I think it's just been completely ignored by video people because it's Samsung.

From the few YouTube videos I've found, detail looks very good, dynamic range decent, nice colour, and good low light. In a cheap mirrorless body with an APSC sensor ... all good.

BUT it looks like it has aliasing problems (see 3rd video below). If so you probably won't find anyone here recommending it.

(ignore timelapse sequences)

Important to me: It seems to be region switchable and is capable of 30fps. That's something the G6 does not offer for us people in Germany.

So I'm asking: Could the NX30 be a serious competitor of the G6.
The main reasons I care about this are the soon probably same or cheaper price, the bigger sensor and the 30fps.

Where did you get the idea (info) that the NX30 is region switchable? 

I've been under the impression that the NX30, as well as the NX300 are both 30fps only, and unlike the G6, they don't do either 25p or 50p, which we normally use in Europe.

So to me it looks like it's the other way around, the G6 is more useable in Europe with its 25/50p, whereas the NX30 is somewhat crippled with is 30p, even in a PAL (only) model. 

What do you need 30p for in Germany, anyway?

• 4 weeks later...

Where did you get the idea (info) that the NX30 is region switchable? 

What do you need 30p for in Germany, anyway?

Doesn't look region switchable - the NTSC version anyway, which shoots 30p and 60p. It shoots 24p but is restricted to 1920 x 810!!

I got the idea from the fact that it records in 30 fps on a model sold in Germany and differing information by shops in price comparisons on the net. It seems I was wrong though and that it records 30 fps by standard, without the need to change PAL/NTFC settings.
Regarding the 24 fps resolution: Well, don't most of you crop 24 fps video to 2,35:1 anyways, for that cinematic look? Of course it's not optimal, to be limited to that form factor by default but at least to me that isn't a real problem.
As for my need of 30 fps in Germany: Well, it's simple, I'm only producing for the internet. There's no need to be compatible with european TV sets. Also, when aiming for slow motion the 60 fps simply gives me more options than 50 fps. So I rather have 60 fps and even slower slow motion.

Yeah 24p on this camera is in a faux cinema aspect ratio with the crop forced on you in-camera, 1920 x 810. 30p otherwise. Nothing about the image is better than the G6 and the codec is FAR worse so beware!

Ok, so you say there's nothing better than the G6 image wise - but have you actually tested the NX30? Has anyone? Or are you just assuming that the codec is "crap"? At least the cam has an external mic in so Samsung seemed to have ambitious videographers in mind (amateurs don't need that) and it's the top model of the line - so maybe the cam is better than you think it is. I don't know, but I definitely would like to see if it can keep up with the competition in the same price range.

Also, I thought you guys were so into external recorders - not that I'd care about that, but the NX30 has a clean region switchable HDMI output (the manual confirms that)... maybe that's uncompressed.

I think it might be worth checking the cam, if it's really not good or if it's a big surprise... I'd do it, but I'm certainly not qualified enough.

if the NX30 was better than the G6, plenty of people would've found out by now and would be using it.
the strengths of the G6 are well-documented and there's plenty of people using them daily.

other people have already summed up the cons of the NX30 that make it a less flexible camera than the G6.  Plus, as you said yourself, it's also more expensive than the G6.

I was wondering if the new Samsung NX30 could be the better buy than the Panasonic G6.

For stills, yup, for video, nope.

As for my need of 30 fps in Germany: Well, it's simple, I'm only producing for the internet. There's no need to be compatible with european TV sets. 

Which internet would that be? 

I take it you're aware of the fact that shooting in 25/50p and compressing/uploading for YouTube/Vimeo is not considered a major problem by most PAL shooters. Creating compelling enough content is usually considered a more significant challenge.

Frame rate is not that critical online, and since you are in the 230V/50Hz PAL land, your native 25p (50p) would be a better choice in general. IMO, anyway. Unless you're aiming specifically for the US/Japan/Korean DVD or TV channel market, which I don't think you are. So I for one would prefer a camera that does 25/50p, or a region switchable one. But it's your preferences, your money, your choice, of course.

The fact that the Samsung models offer only 30p even in PAL models makes their video features look more like consumer bling than a serious attempt for quality video. There seem to be no 'puzzling evidence' to challenge that notion. So it's either that, or they only care about their domestic (and possibly US) market. Which would be a bit daft, wouldn't it.

Ok, so you say there's nothing better than the G6 image wise - but have you actually tested the NX30? Has anyone? Or are you just assuming that the codec is "crap"? At least the cam has an external mic in so Samsung seemed to have ambitious videographers in mind (amateurs don't need that) and it's the top model of the line - so maybe the cam is better than you think it is. I don't know, but I definitely would like to see if it can keep up with the competition in the same price range.

Also, I thought you guys were so into external recorders - not that I'd care about that, but the NX30 has a clean region switchable HDMI output (the manual confirms that)... maybe that's uncompressed.

I think it might be worth checking the cam, if it's really not good or if it's a big surprise... I'd do it, but I'm certainly not qualified enough.

Sounds to me like you've already made up your mind about the NX30, and you're just trying to get social approval for buying one from the EOSHD community. But you know what, the "scary" truth is, it's all up to you. It's your personal preferences, your money, your decision. 

You don't need, nor should you really even ask for an approval of the online crowd. After all, you're supposed to get a camera for yourself, not for the crowd. Since you clearly fancy the NX30, go ahead and buy the damn thing already. It doesn't matter what other people think about it. If it feels 'right' in your own hands, just go for it.

one more important consideration concerning being stuck with 30p.  everytime you'll be shooting under street or fluorescent lights, or computer or tv-screens, you'll be stuck with flicker that you can not get rid of.

The flicker-free life was implied with the "you're in a 230V/50Hz PAL land." But you're right, maybe that wasn't obvious enough.

It's not only fluorescent lights or computer/TV screens, but also billboards, price/info panels on service stations, home appliance panels, etc, etc.