RIP Gordon Willis, ASC

Emanuel

All this craziness on high ISOs comes from his legacy, among others, such as Kubrick or Storaro, of course. I guess all of them loved the 'film noir', actually, the German Expressionism to have moved to Hollywood. Also a minimal concept of light and shadow brought to the mainstream, never seen before except with the italians or french (or Cassavetes in America) three, two, one decades before. But not strictly for aesthetic reasons. To us, arrived as the 'light fimmaking' possible to conquer the world today in Sundance. Even if my mom complains the movies are too dark nowadays... : D Those were golden days when men like him changed forever the way the movies could be made.

We also owe this to him.

Emanuel

http://variety.com/2014/film/news/the-godfather-cinematographer-gordon-willis-dies-at-82-1201185649/

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

The Prince of Darkness - Gordon Willis has always been a big influence on me.

Klute and All The Presidents Men are 2 of my fave films he shot ,

He was one of the first to pioneer this darker , more realistic look to lighting.

It almost looked like it was all available light , but it was Gordons masterful use of light and film to create these looks.

The Godfather series really took this look to the limit , lots of use of shadows.

David Fincher is the new Prince of Darkness and owes alot to Gordon for leading the way .

Paul Greengrass quotes All the Presidents men as a big Influenece on him too.

Eveyone on this forum should study Gordon's work - you will learn alot form him.

In the YT video part 2 at 24:30 he talks about testing stocks of films.  I think this is very true for any of our new cameras today.  So for people who think camera/lens tests are boring and unnecessary, I think you should watch his interview.  Lots of great info from a great cinematographer!