Why are bad cameras the best cameras?

kye

I think colors have an effect on perceived sharpness. Back in the film days it seemed to me that no color film could be as sharp as B&W was. Slide film seemed the sharpest, and B&W still beat that when exposed perfectly, same way with slide film.

This new to me Canon FD 300L 2.8 lens was touted as the sharpest lens in the world back in the day. Will be interesting to see if that is true if the damn thing works lol.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
2 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

I think colors have an effect on perceived sharpness. Back in the film days it seemed to me that no color film could be as sharp as B&W was. Slide film seemed the sharpest, and B&W still beat that when exposed perfectly, same way with slide film.

This new to me Canon FD 300L 2.8 lens was touted as the sharpest lens in the world back in the day. Will be interesting to so if that is true if the damn thing works lol.

I have vague memories that the grain size on the B&W film was smaller than the colour stock, so that might be what you're remembering, but that's not to say that colour doesn't have a perceptual impact on sharpness - it well might.

The more I learn about colour the more I find out about crazy stuff going on that you wouldn't think is happening, and the more complicated it all is.

The one big problem with color output is that men and women see colors differently, and there are more people than you think that are color blind, mostly men, I think. So, I would guess other than brightness levels B&W would be seen on an equal footing by the vast majority of people the same.

Yeah, unfortunately the GH4 was an odd duck. I never owned one, the colors were funky and well it just looked rushed to market to me. I had a G7 I think at the time, and I really liked it too well to give up for a GH4. 

The GH5 was a massive improvement, but it took a Long time for it to come out. The GH6 is the same way time wise, but I have not been super impressed with it either, it just seems like most of the people that have it don't publish much about it, just the normal talking heads seem to review it on YouTube, and even then don't get much into how good or bad it is. Odd for sure.

23 minutes ago, QuickHitRecord said:

Oddly, I found myself drawn to the imperfections of the GH4 in the test, which has never stood out to me at all. Interesting.

The way I think about it is that every camera takes the real-world and creates a stylised version of it, with a unique way to represent colour, luminance, noise, etc, etc.  Some scenes will look better when given the treatment that camera A gives rather than camera B, but a different scene might be better with camera B instead.

This is kind of like when you grade footage, you take the input and change it in a unique way.  In just the same way that a grade that works nicely on one project won't always look nice on the next, every camera probably has its own unique situation where it provides just what is needed.

Maybe the GH4 is the camera you've always wanted for filming hysterically happy mannequins in high-DR mixed lighting?