The IBIS in my beloved GX80 just broke!

projectwoofer

Hey there!
Bad news, I’ve just realized the the IBIS in my GX80 camera doesn’t work as it should anymore. 😫
I bought the camera new in 2018 and I just noticed today that when I shoot a video the IBIS seems to be working correctly for 3-4 seconds and then it starts an awful jittery movement without me doing anything. Same thing on video and photo modes. Even if I turn off the IBIS it can still do those jittery movements but maybe a bit less pronounced. At first I thought I got some problem keeping my hands stable when I realized it does that also when sitting still on a table. It’s as though I was trembling when holding the camera.

Anyone had such a problem with theirs? I’m afraid that a repair could cost more than a new camera?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Darn! Sorry to hear. With mine the rear wheel has stopped functioning 3 years ago. They are well built but not rock solid inside I would figure. I imagine buying another one would be cheaper. But why not get figures on it? Time to buy a GX9 and test the 200mbit HD hack on it.:) The bigger crop in 4k might suck but would also mean more coverage for S16 C-mount lenses.

47 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

I remember a similar thing came up a couple of years ago and a fix that apparently worked was to rotate it a couple of times around its axis.

It might be worth a go.

114426928_ScreenShot2022-03-05at23_46_11.png.bf334f9ad14c674c22a8db0a921e5f8a.png

Hey, thanks for that. I tried the fix and it seems to work until I turn off the camera and turn it on again after a while. Then it’s jittery land all over again…crazy.

1 hour ago, PannySVHS said:

Darn! Sorry to hear. With mine the rear wheel has stopped functioning 3 years ago. They are well built but not rock solid inside I would figure. I imagine buying another one would be cheaper. But why not get figures on it? Time to buy a GX9 and test the 200mbit HD hack on it.:) The bigger crop in 4k might suck but would also mean more coverage for S16 C-mount lenses.

Yeah, that rear wheel was problematic for me too so I ordered the part on eBay and replaced it myself. But this one seems difficult to solve, I never dropped the camera, I always handled it with care. I guess I’ll ask an authorized service to see how much it would cost but if it’s too much I guess I am for another camera. I don’t think I would buy the same model though after this experience….

Sorry to hear this - it's probably too expensive to fix.

A few thoughts - it could be a faulty sensor..  in a nice clean environment maybe give it a gentle blow out with a rocket blower to remove any stray fibres or dust that might be interfering with the mechanism.

You could try flashing the firmware again on it, assuming it will let you, as maybe that has gotten a little corrupted over time perhaps.

Otherwise, that flipping it around trick might be enough, depending on your shooting style and situation.

So I have un update on this. I had somehow missed some firmware update that was supposed to fix a stabilization bug. The IBIS could stop working after a WB setting or something along these lines. I flashed the FW v.1.3 and it seems to be working correctly now. I obviously want to test it a bit longer but first observations are encouraging! 🙂

4 hours ago, projectwoofer said:

So I have un update on this. I had somehow missed some firmware update that was supposed to fix a stabilization bug. The IBIS could stop working after a WB setting or something along these lines. I flashed the FW v.1.3 and it seems to be working correctly now. I obviously want to test it a bit longer but first observations are encouraging! 🙂

Great to hear!

• 2 years later...

I had a faulty GX80 showing me a message a few seconds after power on: "Please Turn Camera Off and Then On Again". I knew it was the ibis failing because only one part of the sensor was static and the other part was very wobbly. So I dismantled my camera following this tutorial until I reached the 10th step. Once I had the ibis+sensor out of the camera, I only had to remove 3 screws and to separate the 2 flex of the sensor. Then, I realized one of the tree electromagnets had no continuity, and added some drop of tin to join the broken copper wire. And it's fixed and working again. I am so happy!

I include an image of the point that was failing

PXL_20240418_104301476.jpg