Do cameras and lenses scale proportionately?

kye

ie, if I took a FF camera and all the available lenses, put them in a shrink machine, set it to 50%, and hit go, would I get an MFT system with the same optical characteristics?  ie, same FOV, save DoF, etc?  

I'm not talking about the electrical side of things as that's an entirely different ballgame, just the optics and sensor size.

In physics there are some things that scale linearly, but there are other things really don't, for example volume.  If you put something in a 50% scaling machine it would be one-eighth the volume, and weight (assuming identical materials).

Lens size and weight are smaller with MFT but not proportionately, in any way I've been able to identify anyway.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I'd take it the other direction. The smallest MFT camera is the GM1 and the smallest "real" lens (with AF) is the 14mm f/2.5. The grand total of that combo is 259g and a volume of 0.181 liters (treating the camera as a block and the lens as a cylinder):

GM1 = 54.9×98.5×30.4 = .164 liters, 14mm f/2.5 = 27.75 radius x 20.5 length = .017 liters

So can we find a FF combo that is only double that figure? 518g and .362 liters

It should be possible, but think it's never been done. The smallest FF camera is the Sigma FP (I think). It's weight and volume is 422g and accurately described as .357 liters, leaving only 96g and .005 liters left. Can you make a lens (with AF) for that? The weight is definitely possible, but the volume probably wouldn't work out.

One major constant with all this is the human hand. There's only so much you can comfortably hold and operate.

The other constant I suppose would be a pocket if you're taking it everywhere.

I like the original question because it inspires perspectives on size, ergonomy and camera choices. So, silly me, I decided to buy a BMMCC and so I did. But what reasons for? I got attracted by the cute size, by the prospect of cutely sized files in Prores LT and a great image to size ratio. I will see how that plays out regarding lenses. Tevidon lenses are not that easy to rig. After all small size is not a virtue by itself I figure.