Resolve Training

Anaconda_

Has anyone here tried the official DaVinci Resolve training that Blackmagic offer? From looking briefly, it seems pretty comprehensive, and completely free. Then you can take the tests and get certifications at the end of each 'chapter'. I've downloaded the files and I'm looking forward to starting, but figured I'd ask if anyone else has tried it, and can offer pros and cons over some other options out there.

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/nl/products/davinciresolve/training

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
19 hours ago, Anaconda_ said:

Has anyone here tried the official DaVinci Resolve training that Blackmagic offer? From looking briefly, it seems pretty comprehensive, and completely free. Then you can take the tests and get certifications at the end of each 'chapter'. I've downloaded the files and I'm looking forward to starting, but figured I'd ask if anyone else has tried it, and can offer pros and cons over some other options out there.

I watched a few of the videos on color grading and a few on the new features in DR 17. Very comprehensive for things like color grading and general use. I do wish they provided more in depth training for Fusion. Most of the really good Fusion tutorials you have to get from YouTube and the SFX artists who work in Hollywood.

I'll admit, I was really into learning Fusion when I first switched to DR from PP, but the constant performance issues and crashing was a big turnoff and I haven't really touched Fusion since. The rest of DR though is rock solid.

On 6/21/2021 at 2:38 AM, Anaconda_ said:

I've watched some of their videos in the past and found them very good.  They're quite slow, considering they cover everything and don't assume prior knowledge, but are very thorough.  

What is especially valuable, and you almost can't get anywhere else, is that they give you hints of how they designed Resolve to work and the architecture of it all.  If you have the time and patience then watching the videos might be good value.

Not sure what value certification would give you unless you're a pro looking for work though, and you're likely to have to re-certify every new version.

17 hours ago, herein2020 said:

I watched a few of the videos on color grading and a few on the new features in DR 17. Very comprehensive for things like color grading and general use. I do wish they provided more in depth training for Fusion.

I'm not sure if they're new, but there are 2 videos about using Fusion, both a little shy of an hour long, as well as a free pdf book. the videos and the book also come with Lesson Files so you can work along with the program. I find it completely amazing that they offer the software completely free, and then seemingly all the training you need to get started, also for free. 

9 hours ago, kye said:

If you have the time and patience then watching the videos might be good value.

Not sure what value certification would give you unless you're a pro looking for work though, and you're likely to have to re-certify every new version.

Did you try looking at the PDFs? Although I have some knowledge and have used Resolve for complete projects, I'm starting on book one page one. Although, I am speeding through the first few lessons. reading the whole thing, but only physically doing the bits I didn't know about. That way the lessons they estimate at an hour, take about 15 minutes.

As for the certification, I don't think I'll do it for every version, but since it's not a 'required' thing anyway, I don't think you really need to. Just pick up the new features along the way. Where I am, LinkedIn is a huge part of getting hired, so having certifications on there can definitely help. 

---

Anyway, since there's the thread about how bad Premiere has become, I thought I'd draw some attention to the training, for those like myself, looking to switch totally to Resolve.

If they work to teach you the architecture of the program then I say go for it. They won't teach you to art of being a colourist however... and I'll say that many paid, in person training falls well short of this too. 

I think once you learn the basics of how the program works, the best thing you can do is practice and find a community that shares knowledge. If you can, find someone better than you and sit next to them while they grade.

I personally think whatever certification they offer is worth diddly-squat. They're teaching product features not experience and skill. However, it's incredible that the program is free and these tutorials are probably a great way to get going.

22 hours ago, Anaconda_ said:

Did you try looking at the PDFs? Although I have some knowledge and have used Resolve for complete projects, I'm starting on book one page one. Although, I am speeding through the first few lessons. reading the whole thing, but only physically doing the bits I didn't know about. That way the lessons they estimate at an hour, take about 15 minutes.

As for the certification, I don't think I'll do it for every version, but since it's not a 'required' thing anyway, I don't think you really need to. Just pick up the new features along the way. Where I am, LinkedIn is a huge part of getting hired, so having certifications on there can definitely help. 

---

Anyway, since there's the thread about how bad Premiere has become, I thought I'd draw some attention to the training, for those like myself, looking to switch totally to Resolve.

I didn't realise there were PDFs - that might be worth a look.  I've commented before elsewhere that it's tricky once you know half a program because you probably won't get the overall structure / rationale of it from continuing to learn bit-by-bit but that watching videos that are mostly filled with things you already know is almost unbearably tedious.  PDFs however, might be useful as you can scroll and go at your own pace.

As an aside, I didn't realise until recently how useful the speed controls are in YouTube - watching something you're broadly familiar with in 1.5x or 2x speed can be refreshing as you can still follow it but it skips along nicely and doesn't seem to drag.

It's definitely worth drawing attention to the training.  Lots more people are moving to Resolve it seems, and the free offering is very capable.

5 hours ago, mrtreve said:

If they work to teach you the architecture of the program then I say go for it. They won't teach you to art of being a colourist however... and I'll say that many paid, in person training falls well short of this too. 

I think once you learn the basics of how the program works, the best thing you can do is practice and find a community that shares knowledge. If you can, find someone better than you and sit next to them while they grade.

I personally think whatever certification they offer is worth diddly-squat. They're teaching product features not experience and skill. However, it's incredible that the program is free and these tutorials are probably a great way to get going.

I definitely agree about architecture, which is not easy to learn if you're teaching yourself bit-by-bit.  

In terms of learning how to colour, you're right that they won't teach you that, and many colourist resources also won't.  I started a thread some time ago to try and collect useful things, it's here:

In the same way that learning bit-by-bit won't teach you the architecture of a thing, lots of good colourist content also doesn't teach you the overall mindset and approach for colour grading.

If you're interested in a training course that I did recently that was absolutely spectacular, I can heartily recommend the masterclass by Walter Volpatto who works at Company3.  The class was streamed some time ago but you can buy the download.  I re-watched it recently and was blown away by how deep Walters knowledge was, and how he went another level up again from most colourist content by talking about workflow and how to manage large projects.  He took great pleasure in occasionally roasting the colourists on YT, making serious criticisms of even the advice given by the top YT colourists who are obviously working pros, let alone the "buy my LUT" crowd who couldn't even spell LUT 2 days before they launched their own line.

• 5 months later...