S5 vs A7S III - High ISO

Andrew Reid

Well I don’t have the 24-105mm f4 but it is a consideration and going back to one dedicated video unit plus two dedicated stills cameras vs 3x hybrids.

If I did go to the f4 zoom, I think I’d be more inclined to go log and manually shoot 640 outdoor and 4000 indoor.

With the f1.8 primes being just over 2 stops faster, 100-1600 works pretty well for me but I think log has maybe another couple of stops of DR over a standard profile?

On the other hand, log is not so good with the AF on the S5 due to the lack of contrast? So I understand though not tested that theory myself. Yet...

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, MrSMW said:

Well I don’t have the 24-105mm f4 but it is a consideration and going back to one dedicated video unit plus two dedicated stills cameras vs 3x hybrids.

If I did go to the f4 zoom, I think I’d be more inclined to go log and manually shoot 640 outdoor and 4000 indoor.

With the f1.8 primes being just over 2 stops faster, 100-1600 works pretty well for me but I think log has maybe another couple of stops of DR over a standard profile?

On the other hand, log is not so good with the AF on the S5 due to the lack of contrast? So I understand though not tested that theory myself. Yet...

The 24-105 is a very sharp and contrasty allround lens ( If you like that ).

I have filmed a entire wedding with it

One thing that disturb me is a violett flare when you shot against the sun or any light..

11 hours ago, omega1978 said:

The 24-105 is a very sharp and contrasty allround lens ( If you like that ).

I have filmed a entire wedding with it

One thing that disturb me is a violett flare when you shot against the sun or any light..

Can you post a screen grab of the flare???

I had one issue when shooting in V LOG with the 24-105 and underexposed. I didn't have direct flare though, but I was getting green and magenta rings in the shot. (Saturation is turned up a bit to better show off the rings.)

822cbaf6565e43d698bdb8baea7145ee

22 hours ago, Mark Romero 2 said:

Can you post a screen grab of the flare???

I had one issue when shooting in V LOG with the 24-105 and underexposed. I didn't have direct flare though, but I was getting green and magenta rings in the shot. (Saturation is turned up a bit to better show off the rings.)

822cbaf6565e43d698bdb8baea7145ee

native lens?
Diffraction and Vignetting compensation can produce some pretty nasty artifacts, turn these off. 
Also was this 10 bit? Premiere?

5 minutes ago, deezid said:

native lens?
Diffraction and Vignetting compensation can produce some pretty nasty artifacts, turn these off. 
Also was this 10 bit? Premiere?

Yes, this is the Panasonic 24-105 f/4

I will have to pay attention tot he diffraction and igniting compensation settings. Oddly enough, the only time I have seen something really similar was by Sony a7III shooters using the native Sony 14-105 f/4, but they were shooting stills in RAW.

And yes, this was in 10-bit V-LOG, but I use Resolve for editing. (Although you can see it in the source footage. I just cranked up the saturation here in Resolve to make it more apparent.)