Canon RAW and h265 10bit Resolve performance

gt3rs

5 hours ago, gt3rs said:

I did manage setting the playback to proxy quarter res to render 8K timeline to 8k final output using full res RAW with minimal grades but is really not stable enough to work on 8k timeline with 8 GB VRAM. Puget recommend > 20 GB GPU RAM for 8k timeline in Resolve.

8K RAW on 4k or 5.5k timeline works quite well..

Looks like Quadro RTX 6000 fits the bill.. which cost more than R5 😂

Wonder will 1080ti's 11GB be more stable for quarter res?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
5 hours ago, gt3rs said:

I did manage setting the playback to proxy quarter res to render 8K timeline to 8k final output using full res RAW with minimal grades but is really not stable enough to work on 8k timeline with 8 GB VRAM. Puget recommend > 20 GB GPU RAM for 8k timeline in Resolve.

8K RAW on 4k or 5.5k timeline works quite well..

Good grief that's crazy.  I'm not trying to get a RTX Titan.  I was able to export the raw file to 8K DCI h265 30mpbs in Premiere Pro with basic color corrections with out it crashing.  Once you start pushing it will crash.  The 15 second clip to over 4 mins with the CPU @ 98% GPU 8% (come on Adobe) with hardware acceleration activated.  I'm trying to get away from Adobe completely but until Resolve becomes more efficient I'm going to have Premiere on standby when I need to edit 8K.

9 hours ago, ntblowz said:

Looks like Quadro RTX 6000 fits the bill.. which cost more than R5 😂

Wonder will 1080ti's 11GB be more stable for quarter res?

With Resolve it depends so much on what you do for example if you use optical flow even 8GB Vram for 4K timeline can be at the limit. So on 8k timeline with Temp NR and Optical Flow below 20 GB Vram nothing will be possible. On very simple grade probably 11 GB would do it but I'm not so sure 8K is 4x the number of pixel of 4K so in pure theory it needs 4x the Vram.....

Now 8k source with reframing and punch-in on a 4k timeline is not a problem from my early tests.

2 hours ago, gt3rs said:

With Resolve it depends so much on what you do for example if you use optical flow even 8GB Vram for 4K timeline can be at the limit. So on 8k timeline with Temp NR and Optical Flow below 20 GB Vram nothing will be possible. On very simple grade probably 11 GB would do it but I'm not so sure 8K is 4x the number of pixel of 4K so in pure theory it needs 4x the Vram.....

Now 8k source with reframing and punch-in on a 4k timeline is not a problem from my early tests.

Just the used 1080ti seem to be the cheapest option for a slightly bigger memory than 8GB from current mid/top end graphic cards.  (unless next gen will suddenly given more RAM but I doubt it)

I guess if just edit 8k as stock footage should be ok, but for any heavy editing will definitely need Titan RTX. (or Ampere based Titan?)

32 minutes ago, ntblowz said:

Just the used 1080ti seem to be the cheapest option for a slightly bigger memory than 8GB from current mid/top end graphic cards.  (unless next gen will suddenly given more RAM but I doubt it)

I guess if just edit 8k as stock footage should be ok, but for any heavy editing will definitely need Titan RTX. (or Ampere based Titan?)

One trick (not a great one) is to do the grading and all on a 4k timeline, with RAW at half res and then switch to full res and 8k timeline, save, close Reslove and restart just for render. The challenge is to know what grade you can apply or not.  On my test was LUT on one node, GGL on another and the last one mid tone detail and color boost. Sharpening was set on the camera raw tab. So really basic stuff only.
Restarting resolve with proxy to quarter and only open the deliver tab and render seems to help. Also I did un check the use GPU for scopes.

Titan RTX seems the way to go but quite expensive. A bit cheaper there is the Quadro P5000 with 16 GB but not sure it make sense. Or if you find a Radeon VII with 16 GB perf should be similar to the 2080ti but more RAM

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Frankly codecs on the R5 are unusable now for many of us.  Especially if you want to do any proper grading.  

Cinema RAW light is a planned upgrade.  I assume this may make the 8K RAW a possibility for professional grading in software without crashing your system.

1 hour ago, SteveV4D said:

Frankly codecs on the R5 are unusable now for many of us.  Especially if you want to do any proper grading.  

Cinema RAW light is a planned upgrade.  I assume this may make the 8K RAW a possibility for professional grading in software without crashing your system.

Current RAW vs light version will not change the speed of editing only storage. It may even be slower due to decompressing..... 

In resolve you need > 20 GB Vram for 8k timeline whatever codec.

And actually canon raw is quite fast and setting the half res while editing work really good. 

So the problem is h265 4:2:2 not the raw