A6400 Video AF settings ?

reo702

For those with experience using the Sony A6400. I have the Sigma 18-35 w/Sigma MC-11, I have the Face Priority/Eye AF setup properly, and it focuses on my face as it should when filming for vlogs. But yesterday I was trying to record myself for a video podcast. And for some reason the camera kept focus on the microphone and not my face, the mic is in front of my mouth. I attempted this a handful of times, and couldn't get my face in focus. I even reset the settings and reapplied the focusing settings. Still no change, but if I remove the microphone, then the camera will focus on my face again as it should. So I ended up having to switch to manual focus, but I rather use the Video AF. Any suggestions would be helpful!

Thanks!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
43 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Do you look similar to a microphone?

I don't LOL!  

It's a table top mic stand with a dynamic mic, I'm right up next to it with my mouth. I don't understand how it does not recognize my face, I do have sufficient lighting on my face as well. 

This is a bit of an inconvenience just for this particular setup. And if this is a continuous problem with video AF, ill have to settle for getting a wireless FF. Which is extra expense that I don't want to spend.

• Administrators

What happens if you remove the mic, allow it to recognise your face and then move the mic slowly into position.

The other thing you could try is a smaller AF area, move it over your face and keep it away from the mic.

Or manual focus and stop down.

4 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

What happens if you remove the mic, allow it to recognise your face and then move the mic slowly into position.

The other thing you could try is a smaller AF area, move it over your face and keep it away from the mic.

Or manual focus and stop down.

I'll have to try that again moving the mic slowly in position.

I currently have the AF area set to "wide" should I switch to a different mode?

Yeah manual focus was my last option, which I rather not want to do just for this particular setup. I'm shooting open at f1.8, and it just looks too good to stop down. Lol

Not familiar with Sony as much but on the Fuji when face/eye is enabled you can also have it in multi area mode which gives you a box that you can place at any part of the field of view. That way if the eye/face detect loses you it defaults to where ever the AF box is. 

Otherwise maybe reframe so the mic is not as much in the shot. 

7 minutes ago, thebrothersthre3 said:

Not familiar with Sony as much but on the Fuji when face/eye is enabled you can also have it in multi area mode which gives you a box that you can place at any part of the field of view. That way if the eye/face detect loses you it defaults to where ever the AF box is. 

Otherwise maybe reframe so the mic is not as much in the shot. 

Funny you mention that because I also have the XT3, which I completely forgot. Lol

I should try the XT3 for this particular scenario, see how that works. I chose to use the A6400 since I like using the flip-up screen for checking my framing.

If successful, I can use the A6400 for other videos. 

8 hours ago, andrgl said:

I have yet to try that, I might consider setting that up. 

6 hours ago, fuzzynormal said:

Because it allows you to stop messing with technical things and get to actually creating.

True, but I also did figure it out by changing to a different focus mode. 

3 hours ago, barefoot_dp said:

Keep in mind you're using a 3rd party lens and adapter. That always complicates things.

Agreed, but I heard and read that the Sigma combo I specifically have a was a pretty reliable 3rd party option. 

11 hours ago, reo702 said:

I also did figure it out by changing to a different focus mode.

Good job.  Always good to know your tools.  

Solving problems quickly and efficiently on a shoot is always the fundamental challenge of production.  Helps to always keep in mind that the easiest path can also be the better path depending on the issue.

1 hour ago, fuzzynormal said:

Good job.  Always good to know your tools.  

Solving problems quickly and efficiently on a shoot is always the fundamental challenge of production.  Helps to always keep in mind that the easiest path can also be the better path depending on the issue.

Yes Sir, it worked out well yesterday. Saved me from getting a wireless FF. Although it wouldn't be a bad idea in getting one.